Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fostering?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by XScarletZ, Jun 11, 2019.

1. XScarletZ

XScarletZ PetForums Member

Hey guys, so I have around 4 weeks till it’s holidays and then we’ll go abroad till around mid-August. If all goes well, we will then visit our (hopefully) future Ragdoll boy and check conditions of the breeder and the kittens and etc. But before that, I really want to do my part in helping shelters with kitten season. My mum wants to spend at least a week just doing a good spring clean which leaves 3 weeks till the holidays. I’ve been reading on fostering and was binge watching the kitten lady and I just want to help especially as it’s kitten season. Our house is quite small and we don’t have any spare rooms but I’ve got very little space in my bedroom (just big enough to have a little playpen in for any kittens). I’ve read that foster carers need to separate cats so that means once we do get our Ragdoll, we won’t be able to foster as due to lack of space, we probably won’t be able to close off any rooms. Is there any way we can help foster? I would love to take on an older cat or a mama cat but I don’t think we’re ready for orphaned kittens as we’ll still be going to school for these 3 weeks. Anyway, I really wanted to foster some cats before getting a cat but do you think it will work out? I definitely am going to volunteer at a shelter for these weeks to come anyway but do you guys think I should just let go on the idea of fostering for now? If we do decide to foster, would the fact that it is only for 4 weeks affect the cat in any way?

#1 XScarletZ, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Kitten fosterers are usually very experienced with cat welfare and raising kittens, and those who offer their services would be expected to be available throughout the kitten season (roughly March to October). You would be expected to have a spare room to foster a cat mum and her kittens, so there is room for the kits to run around safely, + room for food bowls, litter trays, toys etc.

Honestly, I think your best bet would be to offer your services as a volunteer this summer at one of your local cat rescue shelters. You will learn a lot that way and your help will be very useful to cover absences of regular volunteers due to holidays.

Orla and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  3. XScarletZ

XScarletZ PetForums Member

That’s what I’m thinking too at the moment. Hopefully would be able to learn more about caring for kittens as well which might me help build some skills for caring for cats and hopefully when I’m older or if we move to a bigger house with a spare room, then I’ll be able to start fostering.

Orla, chillminx and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice