Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fostering Dogs in your own home - Do you? / Would You?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Milliepoochie, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

As most of you know I have my 2 Year Old Rottie X Millie. Me and the OH have spoken about getting another dog for a while but I am concerned about doubling vet bills / Kennel costs / Food etc etc. A friend told me about 'Fostering' a rescue dog in your own home and this really appeals to me.

We have plenty of room and plenty of time (OH Works split shifts so Millie is never alone more than 2 hours in a working day). We easily have the room to seperate dogs when we are not in, we have a secure garden and fantastic walking in our local area and we currently walk at least 2 hours aday in a working day - of which 99% of the time we go together thus could easily take another dog with us. We spend our weekends going for longer walks and are even going on a long walking holiday for our honeymoon this summer :)

I have been in Contact with WoodGreen animal Shelter and sent off our application to there and am waiting for someone to get back to me (Fingers crossed!)

I was just wandering if anybody else on here does this? And through which Charity? Have you found it rewarding? Would you recommend it?

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I would love to it's just not possible for me at the minute

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I havent yet but was hoping when the baby is 6mths+ I can open my home to fostering dogs in need, good luck :)

4. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

I would love to do it, space and time are not an issue but i think i would get too attached to them and end up keeping them :)

5. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I've only had a small taste of fostering so far, for three days so the dogs usual foster mum could go away. It was lovely, so we're definitely going to do it again, but we have to wait a few months. I've dog-sat my friends puppy for two weeks, and another friends big lurcher for a week, so we know we'll be ok space-wise!

I've always wanted to foster- the only problem would be if you get too attatched to the foster dog, I know quite a few people who failed as fosters- they kept the dog! :D

I think you should go for it! Good luck :D

6. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I have done. I have fostered around 4 dogs, George was the last foster, and we have kept him. It does feel lonely for the first few days, but as soon as you get an update on how well they are doing it makes it all worth while!

Going to a rescue that really cares helps, as i fostered one and we had a few problems with aggression and the rescue really could have helped me out alot more, but they didnt so I had to hand the dog back as they were not prepared to help.

It is soo rewarding, but can take a lot of strong will - especially if you have bonded with the dog and then you have to let them go. But that is the only hard part. go for it!

You never know, you could turn out to be a failed foster - like me and end up keeping he or her. ;)

7. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I've done it and had no problems, albeit veyr ad to part with them but I'm unsure if I can do it, I want anotehr dog but i'm in no position to own another dog just yet and i'm scared i'll become a failed foster, I just can't risk it sadly :(

8. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I would, and I have registered with the breed rescue (which is a charity). They know all about Mia and potential problems so we are just waiting until we think she is ready and they have a suitable dog for fostering. They actually think it will do Mia good too.

9. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

It's nice in theory but I think I would get too attached.

10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

If you are wanting a new dog then fostering is definately a better way to go in to it, then you can see how they get along, and also find out if you can manage it, if you find it too much then at least you will have been a good rest stop towards their forever home.

11. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I fostered Billy and Bobby as 6 week old pups.. Billy went on to get a new home.. Some how.. I still Have Bobby.. :)

I think its great to foster as you are able to help lots of dogs.. And if you meet the dog that is for you.. You can always arrange to adopt .. :)

12. momentofmadness

Also I fostered through Animal Life Line UK.. And they arrange foster homes and adoptions for all over the country.. :)

13. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

If its the same as over here you should get 'back up' and be covered for vets bills. A lot of rescues[that I know] cant really afford to supply food.
    I fostered Scruff and she ended staying, so I cant do any more for a bit.
    Its taken a long time to get her clean in the house over night and she killed one of my chickens, it wasn't her fault and shes great with them now. You just have to expect the worst sometimes but it gets better. Scruff is lovely now[most of the time]. Good luck.

14. momentofmadness

Surprising You keep telling yourself that you are doing it for the dog.. And they get a lovely new forever home when they leave you.. :) And then you can help another.. :)

15. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

My aunt became a foster but... She ended up keeping the very first dog she fostered :lol:

I'd probaly end up doing the same :eek:

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I would be worried that your own dog might get too attached to it. What happens to him when the foster finds a new home? Dogs can get just as attached as people.

17. Snuggles

Snuggles PetForums Senior

We've had lots of foster dogs through this household over the years. I will fess up though, more than one has gone on to become a fully fledged resident. :lol:

I view the time they spend with me as a stepping stone to their new life.

I know that to get the best from the dogs, I need to love them like one of my own. I also know that by loving them, I give them my heart and at some point it will get broken.

The hardest ones to let go are the ones that need the most work. There is no greater feeling than when a dog who fears humans/life puts their trust in you for the very first time. Once they've given you that trust, you can start over-coming whatever other problems they may be facing. Watching a dog who was broken come alive is a magical experience and for me is the best bit about fostering.

Not all dogs I've fostered have been broken, a lot have been poundies or from rescue kennels. In those cases, a foster space can be the difference between life or death. If not for that dog, for the next dog on it's last day in a pound somewhere.

On a grand scheme of things, the number of dogs I've had through isn't going to make a dent in pts figures or have an impact on the dog problem in the UK but for the dog's I've opened up my home to, it has made a massive difference to their lives and that is why I keep doing it. :)

I hope it all goes well for you and try not to join the failed fosters club with the first one. :p :lol:

18. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

I would love to do it! :)

When im a bit older and have room and the time. :D

But i think i might end up as one of the failed fosters! :D

I dont know if i could truthfully say that me and my current dog wouldnt get attached.

Because if i did-I would find it Very Hard to let it go.

19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I have done so in the past many times, all went well and I didn't keep any as circumstances were not right for another addition, hard at times though. Also I was heavily involved with rescue and if I'd kept another dog we would have lost a foster home here.

Things to keep in mind are your own dogs safety, from dog to dog aggression and infection risks. A friend took a dog in that turned out to have mange and it wasn't good. I have also heard of someone who fostered that introduced a dog with a nasty gastric infection that actually killed two of her small dogs :(
    There was another case I read of where a foster dog, on the leader, grabbed and killed a puppy in the home ...

So, a lot of thought has to be given. A good rescue should match foster home and dog up and ensure everyone is happy :)

Grate thing to do, but should be well considered :)

20. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Fostering is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

By increasing rescue capacity fosterers are directly saving lives, by gaining home-based insights into the dogs they foster they increase the speed and success of rehomings and by offering that home enviroment they help the dogs to build new skills while awaiting their forever home.

Meanwhile fosterers get to live with loads of different breeds and personalities and thereby increase their own dog skills in ways that would not be possible by any other route. I am a better dog owner for having fosterered rescue dogs. I've fostered about twenty-five dogs and only kept one dog (that was too psychologically damaged to be rehomed).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice