Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foster kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sorcha, May 28, 2010.

1. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Hi everyone :)

This weekend Cats protection are bringing over some kittens for me to foster.
    Tomorrow I'm going out for supplies. Any ideas for the best litter, food and other things I might need?
    This is my first time fostering and although I've taken care of kittens in the shelter I used to work, doing it at home is a bit different.
    Wish us luck!! Specially the kittens of course :D

2. Tje

Tje Banned

heyyy Sorcha, you’re gonna love fostering!! De beste wensen met je kleine knuffelbeestjes.

Do you know how old they are? Do they have a mum? How many kittens are there? Or is it all just one big surprise, lol.

Cat litter I would say a wood base (natural ) one, as opposed to something clay or clumping based… this is just because the kittens can (and do) eat the cat litter.

Our shelter (dierenasiel) insists all kittens are fed on Royal Canin Baby or Kitten dry biscuits, so mine do get some of that, but I try to expose them to as much different food sorts as possible. I don’t buy the special kitten wet foods… I just use the adult varieties, and mash them up a bit with a fork or some warm water if needed. A lot of fosterers mix some warm water through the dry biscuits for the very small kittens, I don’t like doing this as a) it goes hard and almost solid very quickly and b) I’ve read putting water on biscuits is a bad idea as it promotes the growth of bacteria. I also give them things like raw mince, raw minced chicken, some chicken heart/liver finely chopped… and boiled chicken or plain white fish boiled.

If you’re going to have a “kitten room” try to make sure there’s no where the kittens can get stuck. I had one stuck down a 2cm gap at the side of a wardrobe.. it was a nightmare. So fill in all those little nooks and crannies that inquisitive little beings can get trapped in. Watch out with open windows! And if you have any cables in the kitten room .... put them in those protective plastic coverings.

Speical kitten milk powder is something I always have on hand.. as is a syringe and a tin of Hills AD (special high calorie, very palatable wet food to go into a syringe if you needed to force feed). Just incase…

Depending on how young they are and if they don’t have a mother… a heat pad is a brilliant thing. Like an electric blanket but specially for small kittens. (if you need one of these Kijkshop here have them dirtcheap!).

I swear by my kitchen scales… weigh your kittens at set times daily (preferably twice daily) and record their weights. Often we don’t notice they’re sick, but when you see the while litter lose 50grams overnight… well you know something’s up. If I had one tip I would say is golden... it's the weighing. It really is a like an early warning sign.

They may have the runs for the first few days… shelter kittens often do… boiled white chicken is good for this (and I do mix mine with rijstebloem or some white boiled rice – buy many people think cats shouldn’t get any rice at all, I’ve did it for years and I will stick by it as it really does work for me… some Brinta is great for constipation). Mostly these type of runs are par for the course with rescue kittens, but do always watch out for dehydration.

I can’t think of anything else off hand… if you have any specific questions do ask.

All the best, geniet er van! :thumbup:

#2 Tje, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

awwww im sure you will be fine but good luck make sure you have lots of string toys lol

4. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Thanks guys :D
    And thank you Tje, for your brilliant advice.
    I don't know how old the kittens are, or they have a mum. I had a choice, but said to just bring which are most urgent.
    They'll have a separate room and I've checked it for things they can get stuck in. It seems safe so far. The heat pad is a great idea and I'll see if Argos has one. Kijkshop is a bit far from me as we're in Wales :lol:
    I'll give them mostly wet food I think and minced raw meat. I'll get the kitten milk and syringe and other things you mentioned.

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

cant add much more to TJE's advice.

Have fun, and dont forget photos!

6. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Thanks and no of course I won't forget to take photo's :D

7. Tje

Tje Banned

Sorcha, if you wanted or needed a heat pad from Kijkshop, just holler. I use my freebee spaarpunten from the BP petrol station, lol, so they’re realllllly cheap. BTW, if you are ever back in NL… you know those metal hot water bottles you Dutch folks use for babies, well they are great for motherless kittens as they stay warm ALL night, even in the winter, and because they’re metal, you never have to worry about them chewing like would with rubber hot water bottles, and you can position them upright in a kitten pen so they can never leak. You can buy them in the HEMA for about €15, and they even come in their own little soft and cuddly protective drawstring bag. I wouldn’t send one of those through the post though, lol, I am sure it would make every security scanner go haywire (the shape, size, metal… lol) .

Be sure to let us know tomorrow what you’re surprise bundle consists of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice