Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foster dog scared of the lounge and garden.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Joanne 77, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Joanne 77

Joanne 77 PetForums Newbie

We have got a 2 year old foster dog. She arrived from Greece last Tuesday. I know in Greece she was a sweet, sociable girl. She had a stressful 5 day journey to the uk in a horse lorry with other dogs. Unfortunately the day she arrived it was the storm force gales of last week. Her crate was in the conservatory as that was the only room with access to the garden. We ignored her for a couple of days to allow her to destress, she did not pee or poop in this time which is quite normal according to the charity. In the first couple of days the wind was howling' it knocked something over in the garden twice which scared her. I noticed whilst she would come out her crate for food, whilst eating she'd be worried by all the reflections in the glass. We moved her crate into the hall and she seemed much happier. She has started to play a bit and we have done a little basic training. The problem however is that she will not go into the lounge which leads onto the conservatory and then the garden. She seems very fearful of it. As from yesterday I started to feed her just inside the threshold of the lounge and gradually moved it in a bit further, complete with a massage to stop her running straight back out again. She is definitely Improving daily. This morning however I caught her about to poo on the lounge carpet (yes,she'd gone in there!!), so i said no and encouraged her into the garden, this was more my choice than hers. She did go to the loo out there but couldn't wait to get back in. Now it is as tho she has gone back a few steps. Is there any other positive way I can encourage her and get her to enjoy the lounge, conservatory and garden? We have yet to walk as I was advised against this for at least a week and in all honestly don't think she is ready she!! I have thought of asking a friend with a happy go Lucky lab to come round to the garden...any positive training tips greatly appreciated!!!

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think you are doing the right things but you need to go slower. Don't make her go into the lounge until she is comfortable with doing it. She needs to trust you not to make her do anything scary. Which you unfortunately did by making her go into the garden. I understand why you did it but it has broken her trust in you. Which is why she has gone backwards.

Time and lots and lots and lots of patience are the key.

3. Joanne 77

Thank you Miranda, I was just sitting here thinking I should have taken her back to the hallway where there were puppy pads and focused there instead.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Ahhh you are using puppy pads...young or older dogs, this can confuse dogs where they are expected to toilet. So they see toileting in the house as normal, regardless whether a puppy pad is there or not. So to your foster dog, going in the lounge was just like going in the hallway where the pads are down.

You need to start from basics with toilet training. If the garden is a no go, short lead walks for emptying or needed. Just as dog owners who do not have gardens would do. It may be hard work, more than you thought taking on this foster, but as a fosterer many dogs can be extremely harder work than nipping out for toilet breaks.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Joanne 77

Oh I never thought of that! We have been advised by the charity to not walk her just yet due to the flight risk so kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding the toileting. We are able to walk in about another 5 days.

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Have you tried her on a lead yet?

7. Joanne 77

Yes she was not very happy!! Dropping down and avoiding me or protesting and trying to use laws to pull lead down. I've bought a clicker to try training with the lead indoors..

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Lots of treats will be the trick with the lead!

Joanne 77 likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Use a well fitted harness with lead and a collar and lead to guard against this.

Don't go far, just outside so she can sniff and toilet.

Joanne 77 and lullabydream like this.
  10. Joanne 77

Thank you, i have a harness now as well. It's a good plan to just go out for a sniff for the first couple of times.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I have nothing to add, Joanne, as I have no experience with rescue dogs. I just wanted to say that I am so pleased you've taken on a rescue dog from Greece, it's wonderful and kind that you've done this lovely act. I wish you all the best with your new family member. x What do you call her? Also, a few pictures (when you're able) would be nice. x

12. Joanne 77

Thank you Jackie. She is called Eri and will make someone a wonderful friend once she has regained her confidence. I found her on the orphan pet blog and noticed she had been in the rescue for a long time. Her video was lovely so we just had to try and help. I have attached a photo hopefully!!

Attached Files:

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice