Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foster cats kittens - she wont look after them - but my cat will...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ~Tete, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

A foster cat of ours just had 4 kittens, but she wont look after them, however our other cat is trying to feed them, what should we do??

I'venever had this before!!

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Is your other cat producing milk? I think its ok to let her feed them. :confused:

3. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

my cat had kittens recently but they left about a week ago, and her milk isnt dried up yet...

4. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

If your foster cat wont look after the kiteens but YOUR cat will i would let your cat do it it will be better for the kittens in the long run

It wont cause any harm

i have known cats share the duties of rearing a litter they took turns in feeding them LOL

Its safe to do so as long as the kits are getting bigger and are healthy

5. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Let her feed them then...its better that the new kittens receive the real thing rather than being bottle fed. Keep trying to get Mum to feed them though...all part of the bonding process! Good Luck x

6. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Its better if they can have milk produced by a cat rather than hand feeding there have more of a chance. Id be tempted to see how things go you can always step in if you feel they need more . When did the mother have them is her milk in fully yet...

7. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

they were 3 days overdue :)

8. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

If the foster cat is not feeding them but your cat has milk and will allow them to feed off her..then its fine to let her do so..

but keep an eye on them as she may suddenley turn on them, if she relises they are not hers...iv had this happen before..and had to hand feed the kittens...

Also the real mum might get funny towards your cat if she wants her kittens back...so make sure you keep an eye on her too...

Do you know if this is the foster cats 1st litter?

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Has the kittens Mum definitely finished giving birth ? She may have one still inside, that's quite a common reason for them being restless and not wanting to stay with their babies. It maybe worth getting her checked out by a vet. Failing that, it could be her hormones have not kicked in properly - does she have any milk at all. If not a shot of ocytocin could help.

It is fine for the other Mum to feed them, most girls are very very accepting of others kittens, especially if they are in the same household, but they would be better on their own Mum, as they will be missing out on vital colostrum, so if you can get her to accept them that would be better for them.

10. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

The mum herself is only a year old so very young and its her first litter. Rebbecca told me that the mum is trying to be noisey but her other female was getting in the way. So shes shut the female away so mum can spend a bit of time with the babies. Shes going to see how it goes.

11. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I have split my cats up. one of them is due any time and I didnt want the others to intervene. Have I done the right thing?

I just noticed from your post that your cats were ob 2geva (sorry new to it and learning as much as poss)

Hope the kitties latch on to mum soon. How many did she have?

12. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

hello you! yeh you can split them up..some people do..mine are together at the moment...They keep to themselves....its good that they all get on really..

13. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

There is no right or wrong way to do this, it depends on your cats, so only you can judge what is right. Some new Mums get great comfort from their friends being with them, others don't. If your cat gets distressed at being separated, then I would let her be with the others as she wants to be.

All of mine flatly refuse to go through the birth process by themselves and it becomes a family affair with all involved. Thats the way they prefer it, but that might not be right for another queen.

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

If your cats are fine with eachother then Id leave them, if they are getting annoyed/fighting then spilt them up :)

As for other cat feeding the kits, are you sure that mum doesnt feel left out if other mum has taken over? maybe take other mum out & leave her with the kits? If not hing happens, for a few hours or she is distressed maybe give them back to adoptive mum for her? If she is a good mummy Im sure she wont mind! :)

15. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Weigh the kittens with a scale that weighs to the g, that way you will know if they are actually getting milk from one of the mums, otherwise you will need to hand feed them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice