Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Formal vs regular cues?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Colette, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Probably a silly question...

I've never trained in any of the formal disciplines, but I plan to do so with my next dog. (Currently considering competitive obedience, working trials, or maybe rally).

Obviously there are many behaviours/positions in these disciplines that are also routinelly used day to day, such as sit and down.

Do you use the same cue for both a formal sit and a regular household sit? In which case, is the dog expected to execute a perfect comp level sit every time even outside of the training / competition environment?

Or do you use a separate cues so the dog can determine whether its a case of simply "bum on floor" or "fully symmetrical in a specific position executed at warp speed sit!?

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

The only difference I would have is the difference between walking on a lead and doing heelwork, for general lead walking my dogs can be at my side on a loose lead, for heelwork I would want something more formal, there is a great difference in how I walk for the above 2. As for sit and down, I would like them sharp, quick and clean in any environment, competition or domestic.

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Ditto, why make life difficult for a dog?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice