Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Forgotten memories

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 0nyxx, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

Bumped into a man who used to know my dad well when we were kids, & had quite a good chat to him in the middle of morrisons lol, He's a keen fisherman & eats what he catches he noted I had some coley & lemon sole in my trolly & said I should try fishing lol, he used to bring skate plaice & sole etc for my dad from time to time.

He brought back a lot of memories my dad used to go for cuvens(periwinkles) cockles & mussles he also went crabbing with a crab hook he made himself, I was more interested in searching the rock pools than picking covens etc, Bob was saying that he still went for them even now lol

My dad was also a keen hunter & used to keep the rabbit population in check at a farm where he worked, so rabbit was often cooked at ours when we were kids, he remarked how my dad often dropped him a couple of rabbits off for his supper ( there was an abundance of rabbits the warren was huge)

I'd forgotten that they also used to cull wood pigeons too keep their numbers at a reasonable level, but once he said I remembered he used to make pigeon pie too, & now & again he'd bring a pheasant or 2.

My dad always knew where the best edible wild mushrooms were to be found, & where the best bramble bushes were too.

Mum used to take us bramble (blackite) picking, Blea berry (blueberry) picking & picking wild raspberries & rosehips, which were then used for pies & jams (usually made by my aunt mum wasnt a pie/jam cook lol)

We also used to pick sloe's (wild damsons) & elderberrys, & crab apples & my dad would make sloe gin, edlerberry cordial & crab apple jelly (he never drunk the gin it was always made to give to friends).

He used to collect wild hazel nuts too (woodnuts) I can remember him shelling them & giving use them as kids :)

I never ate rabbit, pigeon, skate sole, shell fish etc didnt fancy them lol, but back then in the 70's money was tight too & I suppose thinking back all the stuff my dad caught himself helped the weekly money/ food last longer.

I wonder how many people these days still do this??

I still pick blackberries & make pies in the autumn, but never make rosehip syrup it takes ages lol. My dads been dead 31 yrs this year on April 3rd I was only 13 when he died, but cans till picture him as if it was yesterday I last seen him still miss him terribly tho :(

#1 0nyxx, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Wow what a great post! I love hearing about the things people used to do. I remember eating rabbit stew alot when I was a kid (I was a child of the 70's) I think alot of 'self-sufficent' crafts are dying out now. I don't know if it's because alot of people have more income so just pop to the shops to get ready made everything. Or whether people just don't have enough time or what.

We go blackberry picking and I make my own jam but that's about it! I think some make your own stuff seems to be making a comeback, like jam making, pickling etc but I wonder if that's more because it's a trendy thing to do rather than a necessity :rolleyes:

3. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

A bit of both i'd say :) I do pickle onions eggs chiilis etc but not for me, & bake too, havent made jam in a long while tho.

still make alot of the meals mum made when we were kids tatie stew, shepherds pie, tatie pot, soups & stews etc :)

4. rona

rona Guest

We did that kind of thing as children. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice