Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Forest School Training

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Apr 4, 2011.

1. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Bit of a long shot but has anyone done any of this ??

If yes who with and how was it ??

:)

2. nikki2009

nikki2009 PetForums VIP

they do a forest school at the college near and a mate did it and as far as i know she realy enjoyed it

3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

oh i like the sound of this:eek: do they teach you about foresty things? like plants and wildlife:D

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

It's basically taking the classroom outdoors and teaching kids in a natural space with natural materials and introducing elements of risk like fire/climbing etc.

I am helping run a group for local families which i helped set up along with a friend of mine and a local Ranger who is doing his qualifictaions. It is massively popular and we are going live with our 2nd group of 15 families very soon and have a waiting list for more.

I have always loved this way of educating children but didnt really know about Forest Schools before but am thinking about training :) It has such massive potential for really providing the stuff standard eductaion just cant anymore to ordinary kids, i love it.

Check this out for a better explanation :)

What Are Forest Schools

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

our daughter dose this once a week with her school

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

What do you think about it, as a parent ?. Does she enjoy it ?? :)

7. willa

willa PetForums VIP

There is a nursery school near us which has a Forest School every thursday.

The Headteacher came to our nursery & showed us slides of the children in the forest. Looked amazing :) Apparently all the children LOVE it

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

i think its a great idea and good that they are learning her in a diffrent way about diffrent things

something i never had when i was at aschool

she loves it and always looks forward to
    they do fires in the colder months and sit round it at the end of lesson with hot choclate and toast marshmallows

they have also just started doing beach school aswell

which she also loves and again i think is a great idea

9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

thats brilliant! my kids would have loved that...and so would i:D

10. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Are you running it at our local country park??

If you need any extra help give me a shout, I love being outside!

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Yes xx Thanks for the offer :) At the moment the groups are running themselves led by the Ranger and administrated by myself and my friend (who badgered and fluttered our eyelashes at the Guys at the park until they submitted to our demands basically lol) They are not exactly "Forest Schools" they are community groups based in the park with the ethos of teaching the kids to respect the space but get the most out of it in a more "male" dominated arena (something that is lacking these days for alot of kids) The guy heading it up is fantastic.

We are really proud of it so far and it's really popular :eek:

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

That looks a fab idea, I think Monster would love something like that. I've had a glance at that website and theres nothing near me. :( However I'll have a proper nosey at it later, and see if anything like that would be viable around one of the woods here. :D

13. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

The charity I work for hosts forest schools out in the woods (muddy study they call it lol!), they are really great. I am not directly involved in them but if you want any specific info I could find out from some of my colleagues. Real popular with the kids as they are much more interactive and some of the kids that tend to sit back in class really seem to come out of their shell when they're out & about. :thumbup:

14. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

They are cropping up everywhere so hopefully you can find a local one with a bit of Googling :)

The guy at our country park has set up a proper enclosed space in our park. The local school have just started using it to support some of their topics, i have been there with my little ones as Sure Start have been running sessions too.

Rangers is slightly different but the families involved seem to be really loving it, we have managed to encourage alot of Dads to bring the kids which is unusual these days so it's a really "male" environment (of course their are Mums and daughters too). You can see how much the kids are getting out of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice