Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Forest of Dean

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Emraa, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Has anyone any knowledge of this area? I am surprising my boyfriend with a holiday in therea in the new year and wanted to do some research - attractions, things to see, walks etc.
    We will be taking our two dogs so will need dog friendly things to do please!
    Thank you :)

2. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Just watch out for the wild boar, more or less hazardous depending upon the time of year you visit.

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I went a few years ago, had wanted to go for years. I must say I was disappointed :(

Apart from the most touristy part of the forest which is riddled with mountain biker tracks, I found so many walks blocked by fences, shut gates or stiles that were impossible for the dogs :(

Oh and the boar were such a worry with dogs

5. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

It's a beautiful part of the country and has some super areas to visit.

Unfortunately, at the moment, parts of the F of D and the surrounding areas are knee deep in water - we drove through Gloucestershire & Worcestershire yesterday and quite a few roads were impassable.

Hopefully in the new year the weather should be drier to help avoid further problems - but this part of the country is an area that does suffer when the weather is wet :(

7. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Oh no, its all booked and paid for. Hope it's not as bad as that and hope the weather has dried up by mid January

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No it's not. I'm glad I went but I won't be going back.

There are some nice places. I wish I could remember them for you but it was a while ago now.

Do more studying than I did before we went and you should be fine :)

My mistake was just assuming that the whole forest was open access and it wasn't.

We liked Cannop Ponds, Symonds Yat, the Sculpture Trail is worth a look, the cafe at the Dean Heritage Centre was the best we found and they have a balcony where you can have the dogs with you if it's warm enough. :)

Was most peeved when finding this place just as we were leaving The Risng Sun - Moseley Green, Forest of Dean

9. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

Don`t walk them off the lead. There are leopards (panther) in the FoD and dogs have allegedly been taken. And don`t walk or camp there alone, especially with dogs. Apart from the exotic wildlife, I bet its beautiful. Are there any rutting deer?

#9 Sussexplumber, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  10. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Don't think we'll be walking in the forest much then as our dogs are off lead most the time :-( I saw a Pathfinder book with circular walks in FOD and Wye valley but not so sure now you've put the fear of god up me! Psycho wild boar ad now panthers?? Oh dear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice