Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foreign Rescues

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nonnie, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

We all know what a dire state our rescue centres are in, and how many dogs are being given up or abandoned due to the recession. However, ive noticed a huge increase in the amount of dogs offered for rescue that are being shipped in from Europe.

There are loads of posters in my vets and petshops for foreign dogs (most with major issues) and i wondered what peoples feelings are, considering we already have an out of control population of strays.

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

my first thought, i kid you not, was how will a french dog understand us. doh!!!:eek:ut:

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

the brits are known as a nation of dog lovers, i think tho that to lumber us wuth their strays as well is a bit of cheek.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

lol

The majority seem to come from Greece.

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Sorry but i think charity should begin at home, As you say there are plenty of stray's here needing a home:)

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

We took in a fosterr JRT from franch a few years back and it couldnt understand a word we said..it had many many problems it was old aswell and rather fat.lol
    How ever i dont really know how i feel about it..:( Just mighty sad thats there are many many dogs in rescue..and many being put to sleep daily! :(

kerry

7. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

i think we have a big enough problem of our own :(
    without bring more in from europe :eek:ut:

8. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Im of two minds, the rescues here are overflowing but at the same time do dogs abroad deserve less of a life? But on the other side of the coin is that it isnt helping a problem that we already have....Im torn

I know people with Irish rescues, for the reason that english ones wouldnt rehome to them as they worked FT.

9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i think a dogs a dog where ever it comes from.

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you not think that the individual countries should deal with their problems?

Btw, im on the fence with this one.

11. noushka05

i do , but a lot of countries dont seem to have any compassion towards stray dogs so i think if they can be helped then why not:)

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

But what about our strays? Homes that could be for them, are taken up by overseas dogs.

I know many people will take a foreign dog, because of the sob story attached to it, and very often the publicity they get from the appalling treatment they get in their own countries.

Like i said, im on the fence. I see the need to help these animals, but im not sure it should be down to us.

13. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

i am a member of several forums a few of them rescue and actually witnessing their peoples plight at actually saving the animals in the 7 day pounds all over the uk (sadly more popular in england and walse)
    these volunteers go into these pounds and see how many dogs are going to be destroyed, they beg people on the internet for rescue spaces to save them.
    sadly even though they try their best a lot of thema re still destroyed - the majority of these dogs are purebred and young.

so i think it is sad that others are saving dogs from over seas, whilst hundreds of dogs die in the 7 day pounds at home. :(

14. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

I'm sorry if this video distresses ppl but do we want THIS to continue? At least in our country we do it humanely!!!!

So my answer is, if it stops something like this happening thn i'm all for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVLv_Qh4Sdw

15. noushka05

i know its a very difficult one, i can see both sides but i feel dogs in certain countries have no chance whatsoever of being saved & i would think its only a tiny few lucky ones that are brought over here anyway.

#15 noushka05, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  16. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I agree with this, I really do.

I can see where a lot of folk are coming from but I think if many saw the plight of some of the dogs from foreign countries most of which are tortured, beaten, neglected, abused and poisoned in some cases then abandoned to fend for themselves.

I think if those countries can't help those poor dogs, then someone surely has to step in to put a stop to it, why shouldn't it be the UK if someone is willing to offer them a home ?

It don't matter to me where a rescue has come from as long as they are well cared for and find owners that will love and care for their needs no matter what.

17. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

Couldn't have said it better!:D

18. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I think the foreign rescues are just trying to find a better life for their animals which they can't get in their own country. I get the impression that in countries like spain they don't have all the rescues or animal welfare laws as here. Ireland rehomes many of its ex-racer greyhounds to europe, because there difficult to home as pets there so it goes both ways.

If someone wants to rescue a needy dog i don't think we have any right to complain if the dog isn't british. Plenty of people choose to buy puppies and not get get a perfectly suitable dog from a rescue daily and thats there choice.

19. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i really think they do deserve to be loved and resued, i honestly do.

but it seems to me that it is always the u.k. who has to step in, let their governments pay us and build no kill shelters, or put their own house in order.

we have half the waifs and strays of europe here it seems sometimes (people)

we just cant afford to rescue another countries dogs when we have a massive problem of our own.
    i know it is heartbreaking to see the things they do but surely if they are in the eu is that mistreatment not covered by legislation as ours is?

20. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I was going to join a certain charity but when I found out about them bringing individual dogs into this country and paying for all the necessaries I did'nt bother. Like it was said before other countries should look after theirs because we have enough of our own!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice