Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

for you drivers!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 3 red dogs, Aug 11, 2009.

1. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

ok, this occurred to me on the way home tonight
    Let me explain........
    I travel 60 miles a day getting to work and back along a fast main road (A92)
    Now I consider myself a fairly good driver (as All men do) and i can cover the 30 miles home in 26:32secs ( yes i do time myself) but tonight i got stuck behind some weirdo doing 45mph for most of the trip, behind him were another 7 cars, and then myself, so there was no point in overtaking anything..
    Well after that i wondered weather he was driving at 45mph, because he didn't know the capability of his car, or he didn't trust his capability's!
    Do you all know what your car is capable of, and do you know how far to push it??

2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Have done the ton in mine (merc A150) and have learnt to slow down a bit more for certain corners :eek: got fed up of screeching tyres :D

3. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Hehe i know the speed and capabilities of trolls honda civic automatic, it only has a 1.4l engine, but my she can travel :smilewinkgrin: when i go on the motorway i have ( any coppers online hehe:eek:hmy:) got 110 out of her wivout realising i was going that fast till i looked at the speedo, and then i thought cripes hehe and eased me foot of the pedal a bit lol and she wasnt even vibrating shaking or owt, the car was good too pmsl :eek:ut: :001_tt2: :eek:hmy: :smilewinkgrin:

4. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I hate slow drivers - especially if i'm stuck behind one on a single carriageway.

Got to 110 when i first got my current car by mistake (was used to flooring the accelerator to get to 70 in my Clio). The Corrola will happily go to 70 but over that it never sounds happy - so on a motorway my car is never happy.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sometimes when I'm on the motorway and I happen to be going downhill I touch 100mph without noticing :eek:

6. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

i have to admit, i'm a bad boy, was on the duel carriage way tonight hitting 90, then from Arbroath to Montrose i was doing 70+ untill i found Mr 45MPH then it all came to an end, was on target for a new best time to!

7. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I never time myself coming home (its always from the station to the house) - i have proved the distance/ time indicators on the motorway right - but only by breaking the limit most of the way.

8. sammyben

sammyben Guest

I have pushed my wee baby to her limits and do so most days lol. I travel about 40 miles round trip to get to work each day and there's nothing worse than getting stuck behind someone going to slow, esp when the b*ggers won't move over out your way!!! lol

9. claire

claire Guest

In the focus I recon about 120 possibly a smidge more, but in the clio about 100 at most

10. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

i know what both mine are capable of and drive accordingly :rolleyes:,
    where we live its all back roads with some good straights and nice sweeping bends :smilewinkgrin:
    so normally drive a fast as poss :D
    also not many cops around to worry about :)

11. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Most I've had my corolla at is 115 :D

12. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I'm renowned for my 'lead foot' :blushing: But only on dual carriage ways/motor ways. I just cannot stand being stuck behind slow people.
    I knew the capabilites of my 2.0ltr Golf GTi and know the capabilities of my new 3 series 2.0ltr injection BMW ;) I also know my own capabilities and am actually a sensible driver. I HATE bad drivers.

The other day I was stuck behind an old woman doing 15, yes, 15 miles an hour on a 30 road!! :eek: Sometimes she got daring and reached a whole 20 miles an hour!

People who do the following should NOT drive:

Tail gating
    Speaking/texting on mobile phones
    Driving way too slow
    Driving way too fast
    Do not wear a seat belt
    Do not strap children in the car
    Do not indicate

I could go on...Lol. I'm such a moaner!

13. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

That post interests me!
    Tail gating.. I hate That!
    Mobile Phones.. I hate them, so dont have one ( yes i know, the only guy in the UK that dont have a Mobile phone)
    Driving to Slow .. Hate it
    driving to fast This is what interests me .. how fast is to fast.. above the speed limit?? above you capabilities?? above the cars capabilities?
    All ways wear my seat belt
    Kids and dogs always strapped in or caged ( take your pick on which ones wear the seat beat and which are in the cage)
    Do not indicate.. I hold my hands up at this.. sometimes i dont, but in my defence its only wen at a juction pulling away, rather then on a main road pulling in!

14. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

My guess is dogs in the seat belt...kids in the cages...? ;)

Well, considering my admission to suffering 'lead foot' and having driven...ahem...in excess of 110 on the motorway I will say too fast is over the limit in residential areas, towns, cities...anywhere with people who could be in danger.

But on motorways that aren't busy or is not bad weather then there is no too fast. Germany has one of the lowest accident rates on it's motorways and they have had speed LIMITS put in place, I think last year, of...100mph!! So speed on motorways is not bad. It is morons who cannot drive or judge factors such as weather who cause accidents.

The not indicating really annoys me most when at a round-a-bout, turning right out of a road/junction (no indicator, no go, I won't let you out!). Turning left out of a road (minor to major) is not sooo bad.

15. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

it strikes me as weird that moterways keep getting mentioned.. its a straight road, 3 lanes, fast moving traffic .. ( unless your on the M25) blimey anyone can drive on the M25 as long as they know where the hand brake is) I'm referring to the 'A' roads, and to a certain extent the 'B' roads.
    Do you put your car through the paces on these roads??
    Do you learn the road that you travel down to work every day, and know what you can get away with.. to the limit.. ??

16. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Isn't is funny how we all drive over the limit, especially on Motorways? Isn't that a good sign that speed limits are too low?
    Those stop distance statistic they give us are way out of date.

I don't have a set place of work, so I never travel the same way. I alos have all my animals in the car with me, so I can't drive too eager around bends and stuff.

Even though my car handles well, it's also rear wheel drive and I don't fancy ending up facing the wrong way!

17. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

you missed one thing off you list, middle lane hoggers on the motorway!!! drives me silly having to go into the outside lane to overtake some pillock doing 60 in the middle with nothing on the inside (usually women or shiny arses!!!) :cursing: can guarantee that if i undertook them the police would be in an unmarked car behind me.

that reminds me, also hate people who dont move for emergany services!! especially the landrover drivers who wont go up the curb for them when they are in cars designed to go off road!!! bloody shiny arses again!!!

18. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Learn the road? I swear that sometimes the car drives itself between here and my parents (15 mins down the road) or the station, even when i'm trying to get back quickly. :eek:

19. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

well the other week i drove from london to manchester, knocking 15 mins off the sat nav time.

Cruised 100all way home, car didnt struggle so could of maybe done more but i paid for it since, after that ive had a very loud droning noise from back, cant go over 50 now cos the noise is so bad and it vibrates.

Also got two bald tyes.

I have a 1.8 MG and wont be cruising like that again lol

20. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

#20 cassie01, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice