Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

For those of you with rescues

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Why did you go for a rescue vs. puppy from a responsible breeder?

In Cyprus we have a huge problem with stray dogs and so many are in the shelters (were sadly conditions are generally terrible and euthanasia is the most likely outcome)

I have never considered NOT getting a rescue. My first dog (my soul mate, my best friend, my constant companion, the only one who could help me when I was going through a really bad time) was a rescue. I lost the world beneath my feet when I lost him to a terrible illness (pts), and realised I could not live without a dog in my life.
    I know no dog would ever replace my Nelson, but I wanted to get another dog.
    I only waited 3 months before getting another dog (Bella), and this was too soon. She as a very troubled rescue from a past of neglect and starvation and she had many issues, and I was not ready for these. I was the model owner (but my heart just wasn't in it) and even though I said I wouldn't do it, I resented her for not being my Nelson.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, almost 4 years down the line I still miss my Nelson and my heart aches for him every single... but I love Bella more than I ever thought possible. I love her so much that I don't ever compare to Nelson any more. I know he will never be forgotten or replaced and I allowed myself to give another part of my heart to another dog. I think the first time I realised I might actually love my Bella is 6 months after rescuing her (and thank you to a forum member, you know who you are ;) ).

This probably all seems irrelevant to the topic of rescues. But, I think the reason I love my Bella quite so much is how much we both struggled at first and how much we went through together. The reward of turning a frightened withdrawn 4 month old puppy into a healthy, happy (ok, she will never be intelligent and is often very silly, but that is exactly her charm) adult dog is greater than words.

In Greek we say that it is the difficult things that are most worth it, and I think this might be the case for me. Of course, it is also great to know who saved a life:)

2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Spen isn't a rescue as such, he's a private rehome. We were looking for responsible breeders and looking at rescue as well. We were turned down for a rescue dog, I think because of the British military having such a bad reputation for getting dogs on a whim and then getting rid a few months later, so decided to keep an eye on what was being rehomed in the community. Saw Spen advertised, knew Labs tick all the important boxes for me so asked about him and the rest is history.

I would like a well bred puppy from a good breeder one day but I'm also happy taking on a second hand dog and certainly wouldn't rule out a rescue for my next dog. There are so many lovely dogs available who meet my requirements.

3. HandsomeHound

HandsomeHound PetForums Senior

My first 2 dogs were bought as puppies, the first one in 1980 and the second in 1986. To be honest, I didn't really know any better. But when my second boy died in 1999, aged almost 13, we'd already decided that our next dog would be a rescue. We contacted the breed rescue (OES) and were extremely lucky that an 8 month old became available to rehome immediately. We had him for almost 12 years, and again, knew that our next dog would be a rescue too. We've just rehomed an Italian Spinone, who's been with us for a few weeks, and we couldn't have got a better dog if we'd had the choice of thousands.

For us, knowing there are so many dogs needing homes, we just didn't consider buying a puppy. The rescue asked for a donation, so we were happy to give them what it would've cost us for a puppy, and know that they're using the money to help an elderly couple who rescued 2 Spins, with their vet bills, thereby enabling them to keep them healthy.

4. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

The reason I went for a rescue and a private rehome was because I didn't want a puppy.

I worked full time when I got both Craven and Flint and my last dog and I live alone,I also worked long hours.

My first dog was 8 months when I got him,although I did have him part time from 5 months old,but I had to wait until I could find somewhere to live that would accept dogs,he was bred by my friends.

Craven was 1 when I got him and Flint about 5 or 6 years old.

All 3 have been great dogs and have not had any real issues with any of them apart from breed traits.

Now I have the time for a puppy,but I will go for a rescue older dog next time too.

My only regret is missing out on the first few years of Flint's life and not knowing exactly how old he is.:(

5. thronesfan

thronesfan PetForums Member

My family's first dog was a cross-breed puppy from a rescue centre (before getting her, we had a couple of cats from the local cat and dog home, so maybe that's what made my parents think of getting a dog from a rescue). We had her for almost 16 years and she was a fantastic dog. When my parents decided to get another dog, they went for a rescue again. Since then, my brother and I have both got rescue dogs. None of us are fussed about having a specific breed or getting a puppy again, so going down the rescue route made sense. Maybe we've been lucky, but we've all ended up with dogs that suit us/our circumstances.

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

My boy was the first secondhand dog I personally had had, though family had had several.
    All my others had been bought to work, but I'd got to a point in life where I was going to give up the gundog work, got my boy and was offered the chance to do a bit of gamekeeping :rolleyes:
    WELL!!!
    I couldn't turn down the chance of being out there in the countryside with my boy at my side now could I? ;)
    When I got him at 20 months, he still had soft puppy pads on his paws :( he couldn't walk on a slope :( he had no muscle tone :(
    I couldn't even hazard a guess how many miles we've done together and have no way of measuring the fun.
    All I know is, the hole will be huge :crying:

7. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

My parents would never let us have a pet (ok, goldfish).

I got my cat when I was at uni - as I suppose what you'd call a 'private rehome' from friends whose cat had kittens and they could not find a home for the last one (and the dad was going to take it to the pound) - so I said 'I'll take her' - and had her for 15 years. ;)
    The dogs that followed were much the same - I never thought about breed or gender, etc. Just kind of took in the ones that needed it. So I've had a lot of 'rescue' dogs, starting with a really sweet mini-schnauzer that a friend couldn't take with her when she moved.
    Then it just snowballed and I had 6 dogs at once for a long time (if one died we would take in another one). (this was in the US when I had a lot of land and a big house). :eek:
    Always had great dogs - no probs with each other, always just seemed so happy for a loving home. :)
    Now I've got my rescue rottie girl - I did think about breed this time - went to a breed rescue. ;)

8. Nat88

Nat88 PetForums Senior

My childhood dog was a rescue dog, so it seemed natural to get another rescue dog a few years after we had lost Poppy. I admit though, I wanted a puppy but my mum didn't want the hassle of chewing and toilet training that comes with a puppy. We got lucky with Sybil as, although she does have issues, she came to us toilet trained and the only things she's chewed are a few trainers (mine) :p

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I could never justify it to myself.

Hell would freeze over before I brought a puppy :(

I would never be able to look at myself in the mirror again....

10. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

I am not bothered by status or looks so I didnt need the snob value of a pedigree or particular breed..( to some shallow individuals thats a must)

Im not interested in showing or clubs of any sort so I didnt need a pedigree to get in or belong...

I just wanted a friend so a rescue was /is fine for me I dont need my dogs top be anything but dogs..

Im not having a go at people who did want a particular breed thats fine..as long as its done responsibly..

I ended up with two pedigrees both rescues because they had been sold by irresponsible breeders to idiotic irresponsible owners..

I love the looks of a lot of breeds but I know if the time comes for me to get another dog it will be a rescue...

11. hippymama

hippymama PetForums Senior

we were turned down from a few rescue centres because we had young children . we had also tried a private rehome with a young collie in the past (he was 18 weeks) but it didn't work out because his previous owners weren't honest about the issues he had , he had no bite inhibition and was constantly herding and nipping the kids, issues with food guarding ect he just wasn't right for us at the time :( I feel awful but he needed so much work and in the end it wasn't fair on him or the kids because they were scared of him so we rehomed him to a woman who had lots of experience of collies lots of free time to train and walk him and teenage kids .
    that was our first experience of owning a dog and when we were ready again we went to a breeder to get our puppy because we wanted to have a dog that had grown up with our kids. we also went for a much lower energy and smaller breed . rescuing a dog is a brilliant thing to do but its not for everyone or every situation , I would defiantly consider rescuing or fostering in the future when I have more time, the kids are older and I have more experience of working with dogs but I want to make sure I have the time and energy for any problems that might happen

12. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

I would only get a rescue because of how i feel about it ethically- for me I can't buy a dog when hundreds sit in rescue awaiting homes- from puppies to oldies incidentally...

This is also not to say that i have an opinion on people who buy puppies, I don't- so many breeds i see and think- aww they're lovely etc, I'd love one of them-it's not fair to expect all dog lovers/owners etc to want to get a rescue dog, why should people feel like they should have to make that choice because of the (excuse me) ar**hol*s who dump their dogs.

For me it's down to a personal choice and my personal ethics.:)

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I was planning on getting a puppy this year, a dachshund or mini snauchzer, but realised what hard work puppies are !! ( a friend has a Westie puppy) on an impulse I phoned Dachshund Rescue and was told there was a 9yr old available ,at first I thought that too old but decided to visit,.The rest as they say is history ! We've had Tango ( a wire hair ) 3 months now, she's an absolute sweetheart, no destructive behaviour, well behaved,.good tempered , apart from a blip with housetraining in the first few weeks pretty well perfect !

14. Barcode

Barcode PetForums Senior

Because, when we saw them in the news, how on earth could we say no? We have the means and time, and whilst it was a bit earlier than intended for dog no.2, it was right for us.

Matilda, then:

[​IMG]

And now,

[​IMG]

15. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Getting a rescue seemed like the natural choice for us at the time, I don't think we even considered buying a puppy.

We rather naively thought that getting an adult rescue would be an easier introduction to dog owning as neither of us had actually owned our own dog before.

Unfortunately the rescue we went to (a local branch of a national organisation) weren't interested in matching the right dog with the right owners and so we ended up with the most broken dog they had because having seen him we just couldn't leave him there :blush: He'd been with them for two years, never walked as he was difficult, never allowed near other dogs as he was aggressive. He had resource guarding issues, fear aggression, couldn't walk on a lead, no coordination as he was so used to having a bare kennel, crippling separation anxiety. Name a behavioural issue and he probably had it :001_rolleyes:

It was an unimaginably steep learning curve but we (eventually) got through it. Almost 11 years later and he's brilliant but it took years to get him settled.

For some completely unknown reason we decided to rescue again (though not the same centre or organisation!!) when we got our second. We must have been mad :lol: We got a pup who unfortunately has grown up to have issues both physical and mental which are simply due to her god awful breeding. She takes some careful managing but we've just about got the measure of her now!!

Since then we've also bought two pups from an excellent breeder (different litters born 18 months apart) as we decided it was the best course of action as we had so many requirements for prospective dogs. These two pups have been an absolute breeze compared to the rescues :lol:

16. Bluewiemy

Bluewiemy PetForums Junior

My OH and I got a rescue as our first dog together, I never thought I would do anything other than rescue. However the situation changed for us, having 2 very young children and being moved about every few years meant that we would most likely be turned down. So we bought a pedigree puppy. I'm not sure if the next dog will be a rescue or bought, however I have an awful habit of checking the free to good home ads on pets4homes :/

17. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Our current dog is a private re-home but only because we were asked to take her on. We were ready for a dog but with the rescues full of staffie crosses I was wary of coming home with a Rory lookalike :(

I can't imagine ever going for a pup a) the work (but then we have Ginge :rolleyes:) b) there just isn't any breed I MUST have c) I prefer the uniqueness of the mutts

18. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I just never considered a puppy and wouldn't think of a breader, I feel there are so many unwanted dogs in the world that it would be wrong of me not to have a rescue.

My grandparents dogs were all rescues (they did have puppies at one point as a rescue dog was pregnant and by the time they found out, she'd settled in - so I know how hard work pups are and also how hard it can be to rehome well).

I don't have an issue over it, I rather compared it to everyone telling me and my OH that because we can't have kids we should adopt as if infertile people are the 'clean up' jobs and that's just insulting on so many levels for everyone. So I understand that some want pups and others older dogs, but I do wish that those wanting pups looked at rescue pups than went direct to a breeder. It's ethics for me and OH.

19. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

My first dogs were all rehomes and rescues. They were that becaues 1. they needed a home 2. they were cheap 3. at the time I was working and raising a pup was out of the question. I lived 20 years (plus) as an adult with my own dogs before any decision for a puppy - and that decision came when I knew I would not have to go to work while raising one. I also had had a hell of an experience with one rescue I had gotten turning out to be DA and have been since gun shy about taking just any dog - wanting a bit more predictability.

However our shelters here that make any effort are homing all adoptable and have been for many, many years. They also import from high kill areas (by plane) and as well have line-ups for those dogs that come in. I helped my brother look for a teenage dog last year, and he had very few specifications EXCEPT for it could not be smooth coated as his dog is a worker for him and is outside almost all the time (our weather doesn't suit short coats) and it took him 5 months to find one waiting on list from every rescue in the nearest 500 miles. He did finally get a reserve dog in who is still a little shy but has turned out wonderfully for him. Large rambunctious teenage dogs in rescue - of course - are always going to be the hardest to home.

After having kids and being turned down for rescues numerous times (I still managed to bring a rescue and a rehome in when the kids were small) my decision was that the situation with overcrowding in shelters had so much improved (and the stats back that sentiment up as I have studied this area) that purchasing a puppy could be done without the thought of it taking a rescue home away.

I love puppies and revel in the puppy raising experience and have been thrilled with the four I have raised (am raising). I do bond differently with a dog that I've had since a pup but that is not to say I don't bond with rehomes/rescues. It is just a different bond. I currently have two rehomes as well.

CC

#19 comfortcreature, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

I had no reason not to. I'd already had the puppy experience with Gelert (and no, I don't feel guilty about it and don't see why I should) and I just wanted an adult dog as a companion, so why not rescue.
    Gracie is sadly one of those rescue dogs who came with pretty serious baggage, and the same was true of the rescue dog we had when I was growing up. Better luck next time? She is worth it and I'd do it again regardless.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice