Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

For those of you with litter trays in the bathroom...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, May 4, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

...what do you do when someone is actually using the bathroom and the cats want to go? Do they sit outside and meow, or do you all have more than one tray?

The kitten's litter tray is currently in the kitchen as that is their room for now, but we will moving the tray to the bathroom when our extractor fan is fixed, and I was wondering what will happen when we are in there (for longer than a minute) and they need to use it?

I suggested keeping it outside the door when the room is in use so they still have a place to go, but is this too much faff?

(We have a small flat, so cannot really keep a tray in each room etc.)

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

You will learn, dear friend, that locked doors are a no-no with cats!!! :nono:

Our bathroom door doesn't even have a lock on it and is very rarely ever shut tight. Well....... except when OH is 'sitting down' and the cats know to go to their tray before he goes in as they hate using their gas masks afterwards!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My boys will 'go' when I am in the shower, doing my teeth, doing 'other' things... They just don't care!!! :D

Hubby doesn't like it so much but they don't tend to behave this way with him so it's not a big worry there. Me.....? After 30 years of being a cat slave, I am used to it!! :D

3. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

From my experience, if you shut the bathroom door and a cat wants to come in, you'll know about it.

4. kittiegirl

kittiegirl PetForums Member

if i go to the toilet, Ninja will scratch at the bathroom door til i let him in, where he either sits on the cabinet and watches, or circles around my legs for attention.

5. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

So after 4 years of having no privacy because of my son wanting to be with me the whole time, you are now saying the little dignity I had remaining will be taken by the cats. :blink:

What about when you have guests in your place?

6. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

The cats don't mind sharing the bathroom with strangers.

7. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

I had this problem the other day!! - my OH was "sitting down" as Moggybaby so aptly put it :lol: and she wee'd on the floor in front of the door (this was before we got second litter tray though)

I will normally keep the door open tbh, and now we have a second litter tray she will do her business downstairs unless it's bed time and we're both upstairs! :)

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Agree, jet is always in the bathroom waiting for ,us, he will even go to the loo and then its us that needs the gas masks, no doubt he will teach lilly bad habits. :eek:

And guests, - well they are just that, its your cats home - your guests will soon get used to the door being sratched or a miaow outside!

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Yup!!! That's about the size of it!!!! :D

I'd be worried about any 'guests' who were in the bathroom for that length of time...... :eek:

If they are overnight guests having a shower, you explain the deal. Door ajar for the cats. If the guests aren't happy with that, you stick them in the garden with the hosepipe!!!! :D

10. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

You mean you people don't have a spare bathroom for the cat's exclusive use? Its easier in the long run. :mad:

11. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

when me or my partner go in the bathroom for a whatever reason we put the littertray right out side the door and they use that and are ok with it, then when i put the litter tay back in the bathroom they go in there, we havent had any accidents doing this thankfully :D

p.s if you do leave the litter tray in the bathroom and you are in there, they will let you know that they want to come in lol :D

12. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

If we had a spare bathroom, it would be mine!!!!

The boys (1 man, 1 boy, 2 kittens) can share and do whatever they want as long as they don't expect me to clean up after them.

MoggyBaby likes this.
  13. Shayden

Shayden Banned

my litter tray is in the bathroom... the door is usually closed but not latched!... they push it open and some how manage to use their paw and open it back when they are finished lool
    fore some reason tho... when i go to the bathroom they are quite interested and wnt to swan around my legs or scale the bath and jump into the sink... its also one of my boys fav places to sleep ... in the sink!

14. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

To save yourself some trouble, just accept that with cats there is no such thing as privacy or being alone. :p Get used to it.

15. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

With a four year old who always wants to 'go' when Mummy is in there, and a husband who decides that my relaxing shower time is a great time for him to come in and discuss shipping prices in the 1970's (when I can't escape), I think I have resigned myself to no privacy over the years.

We never lock our bathroom door (in case my son needs us when we are in there) but perhaps I will not shut it completely anymore either.

Or I may try the suggestion of leaving the litter tray outside if I do fancy a nice long soak in the bath without man, boy or cat interrupting. :001_smile:

16. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Dont know about quiet soak in bath, my mums old cat sam used to sit on the edge of the bath, but he was a boy cat - perve !

17. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

:) Every night when I have a bath, Molly will sit on the bath mat. Every couple of minutes I will get a head pop over the edge of the bath just to let me know she is there!

Oh is a bit more firm with her .... he will have a shower and close the door!! How dare he!! She will meow non stop until he has finished!

As for the litter tray being in the bathroom .... I wish! Molly is adament it is not moving from the spot it was when she first moved in .... RIGHT BY THE FRONT DOOR :nono:

18. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I love your like or lump it style :D
    Remind me never to come over and take a shower... ;)

Sooty used to tell the world if you didn't let him in the door, but then again if he howled and scratched at the door and my OH wouldn't be finished "sitting down" I would let him out in the garden, he would happily do his business there :p

19. peecee

peecee PetForums Senior

I think the general advice is one litter tray per car plus one cat extra. As you are short on space, perhaps you could keep the one you have in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.

20. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

We don't lock the door, if the cat wants to come in, she pushes the door. But if a guest isn't keen on doing that, you could always put the tray outside the door while they're in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice