For those of you wanting to lose weight in the New Year :)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ouesi, Dec 31, 2017.

1. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

It's that time of year again, when a lot of us are interested in losing weight, gaining health, and just generally feeling better.

I've been reading Dr. Davis' book "Proteinaholic" and found it very interesting. Of course I love anything that confirms my own biases, and having grown up on beans and rice, paella, and lots and lots of pasta from the Italian side, I do love my carbs.

I also love my fruits and veggies and am lucky to live in a part of the world where our growing season is long and there is that availability of lots of lovely fresh produce. In fact we just went to the local market for our fresh collards (an early winter harvest) to have collards and black eyed peas for the traditional New Year's meal that's supposed to bring good luck. Humble food brings wealth and health apparently :)

Anyway, my point was, carbs are not the enemy, and if the thought of going low carb is depressing enough to keep you from trying to lose weight, here's some hopeful news from someone who is an undeniable expert on weight loss.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/obesity-its-not-about-the-carbs/

LinznMilly, ZiggyB, Kimmikins and 3 others like this.
  2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

*shush*
    eating chocolate and trying not to think about jumping on the scales on 1st of January!
    :Hilarious

Katalyst, LinznMilly, ZiggyB and 2 others like this.
  3. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

LOL I gorged on dark chocolate covered blueberries yesterday and I'm not even sorry :D
    Though today I gorged on fresh pineapple and now my tongue feels weird. I do that every time too, you'd think I'd learn!

4. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

So, @ouesi, where does carbs = sugar fit with this please?

5. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

Dr. Davis talks about this in his book and explains it well.
    Refined sugar, just as refined flour is not good. Refined anything is not good. No one is saying eat more refined sugar.
    However, it's just as ridiculous to put a doughnut and a sweet potato in the same category because they're both "carbs".

When you eat an orange, yes, you're eating fructose (sugar). However that sugar is attached to fiber, water, and a bunch of phytonutrients and micronutrients that will slow the absorption of that sugar so it's not going to affect you the same way as drinking a can of sugary soda, or even a glass of orange juice where all the fiber has been removed from the fruit.

Carbs in a whole food are just not the same thing as refined carbs in processed and prepared foods. Prepared/processed foods also have a lot of added fat. That doughnut above is 190 calories, and 100 of those calories come from fat, 11g of fat, 5 of those saturated. One entire sweet potato has about 120 calories and negligible fat, none of it saturated. Yet somehow we have come to see the potato as equal to the doughnut because they're both "carbs" and carbs are bad.

I don't know if this really answers your question though? :oops:

I can tell you that for myself, I don't worry about sugar if it's in a whole food package.

6. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Oh please not another faddy diet, every year we get some diet we should try.

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Did you not read the link? If you did you would see that it's not about a faddy diet at all but about eating well ;)

LinznMilly and ouesi like this.
  8. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

I had a pack of chocolate coins for breakfast :)

I shall be continuing my weight gain, I'm 8 stone at the moment but I could probably comfortably gain another 4-5 lbs without needing a new wardrobe!

9. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I don't need a book to tell me what I should and shouldn't be eat.

Animallover26 and rona like this.
  10. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I'm currently munching on Catalonian salted, smoked almonds and they are absolutely gorgeous.

Healthy or at the very least better eating begins tomorrow.:Smuggrin

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Maybe you don't but alot do obviously ..... there has been so many changes to our foods, so many myths circulated & so much rubbish promoted that I think it's good to really look at what we eat & ensure we are eating well & not following a 'faddy' diet .... sort of what the link was about

12. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

Then this thread is not for you :)

Personally, I don't need to lose any weight. I don't have any health issues.
    I do however have a lot of compassion for so many of my friends and people I care about who are struggling with weight, diet, and the related health issues. I see them blame themselves, get discouraged, hate to have to 'diet' and feel awful dieting. They're on prescriptions for their prescriptions, and nothing seems to improve.

If sharing information about healthy eating helps someone, then it's worth it.

Dr. Garth Davis is not promoting a fad diet at all. He is a bariatric surgeon who specializes in weight loss and has been practicing long enough to know what works and what doesn't as he gets to see it in his work every day.

13. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Then don't buy it and don't read it, no one is forcing you to. It is not a faddy diet but a wholefood plant based diet which has been around for centuries and is eaten by the longest living and healthiest people in the world in what is called the Blue Zones.

These are the Blue Zones

• Barbagia region of Sardinia – Mountainous highlands of inner Sardinia with the world’s highest concentration of male centenarians.
    • Ikaria, Greece – Aegean Island with one of the world’s lowest rates of middle age mortality and the lowest rates of dementia.
    • Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica – World’s lowest rates of middle age mortality, second highest concentration of male centenarians.
    • Seventh Day Adventists – Highest concentration is around Loma Linda, California. They live 10 years longer than their North American counterparts.
    • Okinawa, Japan – Females over 70 are the longest-lived population in the world.

What is the world’s healthiest diet?
    I can tell you that the longest-lived are getting 95% of their calories from plants and only 5% from animal products. Contrary to what the paleo or Atkins diet says, these folks actually eat a high carb diet. About 65% of their diet is whole grains, beans and starchy tubers. No matter where you go, the snack of choice is nuts. People who eat nuts live 2-3 years longer than non-nut eaters. But remember, they are moving all the time, not sitting at desks, in cars or watching TV.

Is there any such thing as a “Longevity Food?”
    Yes and no. There’s no one food that is going to assure you’ll live longer or healthier; it’s about the combination. In the “Blue Zone” of Costa Rica, we found almost the perfect food combination in corn, beans and squash—these three provide all the proteins necessary for life. In Okinawa, sweet potatoes—high in beta-carotene—fueled centenarians for nearly half of their lives. And in Sardinia, a sourdough bread, leavened with lactobacillus, actually lowers insulin response to a meal.

They are running out projects across the US to try to improve the health of their nation - hopefully someone will do something similar here.

Our success in cities, businesses, and states across America makes Blue Zones Project a proven model for transforming the health of large populations.
    BLUE ZONES PROJECT COMMUNITIES HAVE EXPERIENCED:

Double digit drops in obesity, smoking, and BMI (body mass index)

Millions of dollars of savings in healthcare costs

Measurable drops in employee absenteeism

[​IMG]
    “…the results are stunning.”

- Dr Walter C. Willett, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

So going back to @ouesi post about the book Proteinaholic which is written by a Bariatric surgeon who knows a thing or two about weight loss and health - here is a free chapter of the book to have a read for anyone who is interested :)

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/a/1/1a1...14735494&hwt=43887fe78ec331ea8ccc5b3abdc4e724

Dr. Garth Davis is the medical director of the Davis Clinic at the Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, and starred on the hit TLC show Big Medicine.

In addition to Proteinaholic, Dr. Davis is author of The Expert’s Guide to Weight Loss Surgery. Dr. Davis graduated from the UT in Austin where he was the Student Government President. Dr. Davis completed his surgical residency at the prestigious University of Michigan. While there, Dr. Davis underwent extensive training in general surgical disciplines, specializing in laparoscopic procedures.

Dr. Davis has been named a Texas Monthly “Super Doc” several times, most recently in 2015. Dr. Davis is a recognized expert in initial bariatric procedures as well as revisional bariatric surgery, and frequently lectures on the importance of a plant-based diet. He is dedicated to helping people discovern the foods and adopt the behaviors that can lead to a healthy and happy life.

Now that he’s totally recovered Proteinaholic, Dr. Davis competes in marathons and Ironman triathlons. He lives in Houston with his family, a shy cat, and an absurdly large dog.

14. Blaise in Surrey

@ouesi Thanks: I think I'm ticking the right boxes then; I gave up all 'white' carbs a while back, and have only wholewheat pasta and brown rice. This has the knock-on effect of my eating fewer carbs, as I don't particularly like the healthy version! Unfortunately the only thing that really works for me, in terms of losing weight, is doing 5:2, which is bl88dy hard work!

LinznMilly and ouesi like this.
  15. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I agree with this ... my friends (and my wife!) often mutter about the number of potatoes I eat (I could eat jacket potatoes (no butter) with every meal mmmmmm) and make comments about 'you're so lucky you can eat what you like'. Which of course just isn't true. I don't have an issue with weight ... ok I'm quite slight lol ....and I don't diet but I have easily put on a good half stone over Christmas.

I think it does us good to be reminded what is healthy and what is not. Of course we should know this already ....but a nudge in the right direction is good. I love veggies and fruit but I do find that in the winter months I often hit the 'carbs' of the less healthy variety (I love iced buns) as they make better snacks when you are working outside in the cold. And I will continue to do so ... as in the summer it's fruit all the way.

J

16. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

See that is for me a big impetus for starting a thread like this. I knew there might be backlash, and honestly I hesitated because I really don't like the animosity that can create, but I also hate that so many people are struggling when it's just not necessary and frankly kind of mean and unfair to put that pressure on people IMHO.

I don't think regaining your health (with any weight loss that might require) should be hard work, or unpleasant in any way really. And I think it's really sad that it has become for so many people a choice of being miserable for a few months (or many months) while the pounds drop off. Of course no one succeeds in keeping weight off, and then when it comes back on, we blame ourselves (and society blames us too).

It really is possible to stop counting calories, stop looking at food as fat, protein, carb, and just eat real food and still lose weight, still eat as much as you like, and definitely not miserable.
    And even little changes in the direction of more whole plant food are beneficial.

17. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Bloody hell that told me didn't it, I'm not old enough what the right food without some pr*t putting it in a book.

and I must be half way there I've got a big dog but not a cat.

18. Blaise in Surrey

@ouesi To be honest, one could post the words of a nursery rhyme on here and annoy some people :rolleyes::Hilarious, so I wouldn't let that put you off :)

19. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

Ha ha! 'Tis true :)

But I am aware that not everyone wants to hear from the skinny health-nut how to live their lives, and I try (probably too hard) not to come across that way.

Blaise in Surrey likes this.
  20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums Senior

This is interesting I'm not over weight but would like to improve my diet as I am really into long distance running. My biggest battle is my hubby loves meat and I can't be bothered to cook two dinners. I was vegetarian for 10 years when I was younger. An interesting book I read was by Scott Jurek he has made a career from ultra running and has a purely plant based diet.

rottiepointerhouse and ouesi like this.