Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

For those few who doubt me and and my bunnies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kelly Brown, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly Brown

Kelly Brown PetForums Newbie

Today I have had a lovely chat to the RSPCA about my set-up and rabbits welfare.

After yesterdays heated conversions - I thought id better seek expert advise.

The RSPCA have reassured me that I have a completely normal set-up and that it is better then most big breeders set-ups they have seen, The advise I give in person and on my website complies to what they would advise to any new pet owner or people looking to adopt a pet - Yes the RSPCA says about hutch size being important however they advise people/pet owners to extend their hutch sizes if their rabbits do not have access to a run of any sort.

My rabbits - The lady who I spoke to said as long as my rabbits are looked after properly, clean, fed, watered and handled and most importantly not over-bred then they are leading a happy life.
    As i said in a post yesterday they are handled every day, go into runs, have run of the garden and they come into the house.

So I hope this helps these people who doubt me in the beginning, and I hope to continue to use the forum.
    I also mentioned to the RSPCA one of you is a rescue yourself and I commend people who do rescue, (I sometimes rescue myself).
    However the important thing is If I feel that anyone is bullying on here I will contact the police and report you- as this was also suggested by the RSPCA - under harassment act if need be.

I was only asking a simple question, that could of been answered yes or No, not some debate.

2. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Good on ya!! Hopefully now some people might stop jumping on everybody! :D

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I doubt it

Seems some people get off from jumping to conclusions and making assumptions

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

As long as you know and you have and done the right thing you will be fine..:D

Lets hope it all calms down now..:D

Hi and welcome anyways..:smilewinkgrin:

#4 scosha37, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  5. Kelly Brown

Kelly Brown PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I just thought I'd better speak to the RSPCA to make sure that my rabbits are happy here and I comply to what they would advise people/Pet owners.

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

ahhh bless ya kelly you shouldnt have to prove yourself.

lets just hope it turns back into a lovely forum again and lets all call a truce :D

besides you cant leave cos i say so :p

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I do not want to argue with you but the RSPCA said 3ft hutches and 4ftx2ft 'runs' are ok?

The runs dont meet their hutch requirements let alone their run requirements. I do not believe i was bullying you at all, i didnt call you names i simply told you your accommodation was cruelly too small which i still stand by. Ive no doubt you keep them clean well fed and watered but thats not my worry, buns need exercise everyday.

Im really baffled as to why people dont think the requirements that we've even made into a thread dont apply to you when you are so so way off the decent size living accommodation for your buns? Now this is yet another thread for people to make snide remarks blatantly aimed at me as above :(

Which RSPCA branch did you call?

#7 crofty, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    Nonnie likes this.
  8. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

True I can't say to much but its happened to me. You know your doing the right thing...it does'nt matter what anyone else thinks :)

9. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Crofty

As i have just had to reply to your fairly rude pm and the second one i got from you which was just nasty and rude, i will repeat here also!

The threads arent just blamed directly at you, why is everything about you?
    What i put in my response above to Kelly was just aimed at people in general who want to have a go cos some people arent liking been having a go at all the time when they are just after friendly advice or friendly chats like most of us do on here! Kelly had checked with the RSPCA!

And i do love rabbits so dont say i dont again! Thats just nasty!

I would appreciate it now if you didnt pm me again!

10. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I've tried to avoid all the negativity on here recently but I felt the come has come to speak up because I keep seeing lots of arguments.

If all the rabbits in the world who live in small hutches were taken away from those people what would happen to them? Rescue centres would be overrun and the rabbits would probably all have to be put down :(

Isn't love the greatest gift of them all? And as long as these rabbits are loved that should be the most important thing.

Its better in my opinion that a rabbit lives in a hutch and is loved than one who has a massive run but is neglected.

Obviously if you can have both a massive run and love then thats the best thing! :D

11. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Totally agree with you! x

12. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

No idea whats gone on but good on you for caring so much for your buns :)

but imo getting the police involved over cyber bullying ... dont you think they have enough on their plate without being asked to teach grown adults how to talk to each other nicely online ... just tell Mark or one of the MODS , surely they are more than competent for the job :thumbup1:

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I 100% agree with this post.

I dont think the way the rabbits are kept is against the law per se, but they certainly dont meet the basic welfare requirements that are recommended by various organisations.

Plus we all know how utterly sh!t the RSPCA are.

14. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes me too - I would love to live in a mansion but I don't.;)

Wish the RSPCA would be as keen over dog cruelty as they seem to be over worrying about the size of rabbit hutches.:rolleyes:

scosha37 likes this.
  15. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Can we please stop the silly arguing now its starting to get repetitive and boring. Quite frankly all this arguing every thread I look at is putting me off this forum.

16. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Ditto!

I'm relatively new to the forum and it was nice to start with to see people talking about what their rabbits were up to and you could see how much everyone loves their rabbits. But now it seems to be a competition about who looks after their rabbit the best way. Everyone has different ideas about this including different organisations.

The fave pic of my rabbits is one of me holding Lottie but I was scared to put it up in case I got angry comments telling me I was holding her wrong or something :(

17. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I want to see it put it up for me :p

I'm sure the one of me holding George isn't the right way to hold him but he was comfy and happy looking at the camera.

18. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Ok I will do, I will also put some up soon of their different sleeping positions as i've got some weird and wonderful pics of those! :)

19. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

The RSPCA are sh!t!
    They would not remove a rabbit from 10 inches of cr@p in its hutch as it had dirty food and green water... may i add said rabbit has now died from flystrike- thanks to the sh!t it stood in, and the 3ft hutch it was in (could not turn round to clean itself) and The RSPCA's response- "Well what can we do about it now?!" :mad:

As for reporting bullying to the police- you are likely to be cautioned for wasting police time, or laughed out of the station. If the police would not respond when my neighbour was shooting an air rifle in my garden at night, i doubt they will respond to a call claiming "I got called nasty names on an internet forum by people i do not know!

4ft x 2ft runs- that is the minimum size for 2 Guinea piggles, let alone rabbits..

Please do state the RSPCA centre who said this.
    And maybe call up an actual rabbit orientated rescue and ask their advice ;)

20. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

closed for moderating

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice