Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

For sale Rats-males-tun bridge wells

Discussion in 'Small Animal Classifieds' started by michelleice, Mar 25, 2008.

1. michelleice

michelleice PetForums Junior

despratly needing rehomed!

I have two male rats 1yr old for sale, My new partner kept coming out in hives and we couldn't figure it out, then i realized it only happens when he touches the rat so sadly these guys are up for sale, there used to cats/dog/parrots and kids. need some experienced handling as i got them feral from pet shop but they are handable and affectionate once they know you they settle down.As much as i like to keep them my partner refuses to move in with me while i have them and at 3 months pregnant i need him moved in before baby comes!

the come complete with a xrlarge cage (rrp£150)with upper level, sand pit,feed bowl, large water bottle and bag of food ill throw in sawdust free! XD

smokey- white and husky brown male
    snowy -albino male

A ++ home only

£50 for them
    Michelleice@hotmail.com :D

any quierys please contact me

2. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

id take them off the sawdust pronto as its very damaging to the respitory system due to the high dust content and the phenols it emits from the wood,. can be damaging to the liver. hopefully it wont have caused the much problems, but you never know.

3. michelleice

Its special animal sawdust they have been to vets lately and had a all clear as i get them checked regularly. Ill spek to my vet about the shaving thanks alot for your help

4. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

generally sawdust is as the title suggests, ie contains dust, you cant get dust-free sawdust.

its beneficial to rats to have dust free bedding/substrate as they are quite delicate, much like humans, hence why threy test so much on rats..
    this is a good site for anything rat related www.fancyrats.co.uk

`litter for the base of the cage/litter trays`
    There are several options when deciding which litter to use in the base of your rats’ cage, and what you use will probably be determined not only by what you prefer but also by what you have available to you in your area. Any litter should be dust extracted and odour free.

Unsuitable cage litters
    Wood Shavings – pine, spruce and cedar shavings are one of the most commonly seen litters but in fact, there is evidence that suggests they may be harmful to the health of rats and other small animals. As well as generally being quite dusty, these softwood shavings give off phenols and acids that are toxic and could lead to irritation of the respiratory tract and skin, and liver disease. It is possible that in some rats this could reduce life expectancy. There are many other more suitable alternatives.

Sawdust – all of the above applies to sawdust with the added problem of it’s fine grain which renders it very dusty.

Pine cat litter – wood pellet cat litters form sawdust when wet, and have all the issues of shavings/sawdust.

5. michelleice

now off sawdust thank you

6. MrsNik

MrsNik PetForums Member

I actualy use shredded newspaper which doesnt cost me a penny for my rats!! We get old newspapers free from the local shop and my family and friends always give me their newspapers when i see them! Just got back from visiting family in scotland and came back with about 6 months worth of newspaper! lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice