Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

For new rabbit owners

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

So I'll start the thread and let everyone fill in the info for the planned sticky. Leaving it as a blank template and will edit in the info people give till we have a full post of info to go into a locked sticky. As I edit info in please say if anyone disagree's with it and why.

Ideal hutch size: MINIMUM of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/53724-rabbit-accommodation.html
    Ideal run size: rabbits should have access to a run all day long not just in evenings, the size depends on the breed, however it is important to let your rabbits out of their run daily so they can have a proper run around and binky(jump mid air). The majority of rabbit rescues will only rehome a small/medium rabbit if it has a run no smaller than 4ft x6ft which should be attached to the hucth and for 2 small/medium rabbits 6ft x 6ft. additionally the rabbit should be able to stand on its back legs, do a height of at least 2 foot is required depending on breed. by attaching the run to the hutch the rabbit is less likely to have territorial behavior problems. A large rabbit such as a french lop, english lop, continental giant will require a much larger run and it is becuase of this they can be more suited to house rabbits. additionally it is important that even a small/medium house rabbit has access to a space at least the size of runs stated above, a kitchen or spare bedroom is ideal for the entire day not just in evening.
    Feeding, fruit, veg, plants. Good and bad: http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39071-food-list.html
    Vaccinations needed: http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39193-myxomatosis.html every 6 months, http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39195-vhd.html once a year.
    Why to neuter: Males- Stops spraying, humping, hormonal behaviour
    Female- stopes pseudo (false) pregnancies. 80% of unspayed females over the age of 3 get uterine cancer.
    common health problems to look out for: http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39198-sunffles-pasteurella.html, http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39196-fkystrike.html, http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39094-gi-stasis.html
    How to handle your rabbit: As i call it, cup and bum! One hand supporting chest, behind front legs, the other, supporting bum.
    Indoor vs outdoor: Indoors- More secure against predators, more one to one contact. Outside- more natural, fresher air, freedom to run in a natural environment. Indoor setups- minimum of 6ft of space x 4ft. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/rabbit-proofing.html
    Things to look out for: http://www.lecoeurrabbitrescue.co.uk/from_top_to_tail.htm#Poop
    One bun or two: If one rabbit is kept on its own it will need considerably more time spent with it than if you have a pair of rabbits, as you are its only playmate. A bonded pair of rabbits is a really lovely sight and the rabbits have company all the time, making them an all round happier bunny. Take into consideration that they will need much larger accomodation, and all bills will effectively double with a pair.
    Best bonded combination (MM/FF/MF): While it is possible to keep two males or two females together, it is generally much more difficult than a mixed sex pair.
    Same Sex - Two litter mates tend to get on better than intoducing the same sex at a later date, and as always it all depends on the temperment of the rabbit. Having both of the rabbits neutered will help to keep them bonded and/or bond them.
    Mixed Sex - At least the male will have to be neutered in order to stop unwanted pregnancies, and baby buns. It is also often easier, as with same sex pairs, to have both of the rabbits "done" as this makes them less hormonal, so they should get on better.
    It is also possible to bond more than two rabbits but it can be considerably harder than with two. Two females and a male is a popular mix, and seems to work well in most cases. Bear in mind that the more rabbits that are bonded together, the bigger the accomodation needs to be!!!
    Rabbit savy vets:http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/system/Search.asp?NodeID=89660

Any more points you can think to add to this list along with what you advice for it just let me know. Once all are agreed on the points made we can make the final sticky and pester Mark.

#1 Kammie, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

I think maybe my original food list thread would also be good as a sticky i will contact Mark.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/39071-food-list.html

3. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Hmm how about I add those links you posted a while ago to the relevant parts of this thread? Saves on lots of stickies and all in one place.

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

brill kammie!! and kelly thats a good idea hun

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Run size - rabbits should have access to a run all day long not just in evenings, the size depends on the breed, however it is important to let your rabbits out of their run daily so they can have a proper run around and binky(jump mid air). The majority of rabbit rescues will only rehome a small/medium rabbit if it has a run no smaller than 4ft x6ft which should be attached to the hucth and for 2 small/medium rabbits 6ft x 6ft. additionally the rabbit should be able to stand on its back legs, do a height of at least 2 foot is required depending on breed. by attaching the run to the hutch the rabbit is less likely to have territorial behavior problems. A large rabbit such as a french lop, english lop, continental giant will require a much larger run and it is becuase of this they can be more suited to house rabbits. additionally it is important that even a small/medium house rabbit has access to a space at least the size of runs stated above, a kitchen or spare bedroom is ideal for the entire day not just in evening.
    please feel free to add to/make suggestions to this

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

your full of good ideas lol

7. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Why thank you!

8. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Oh yeah good idea! I forgot about all them lol! x

9. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I'll let you find them all out for me and link in here, can't remember how many you done now. Plus I can be a bit lazy!

10. frags

frags PetForums VIP

oh you 2 are good LOL
    go kelly and kammie!!

11. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Added above

12. frags

frags PetForums VIP

great advice vamp x

13. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Go team bunny!

14. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Right I'm off out now to do the shopping and housework. A womans work is never done and all that.

Be back later and hope to see lots of advice for me to edit into the first post.

15. Adz_T

Adz_T PetForums Newbie

I've been looking for a big list of foods safe and unsafe for a while. This is a reliable source too.

Thanks very much Kammie and Kellyrich :)

16. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Come on guys I'm back home and housework done but theres no more bits of advice for me to add. Shame on you lot!

17. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Will do a final write up version tomorrow morning to get stickied. Any more info people want added post now or forever hold your peace :p

18. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

How about -
    One or Two Rabbits? If one rabbit is kept on its own it will need considerably more time spent with it than if you have a pair of rabbits, as you are its only playmate. A bonded pair of rabbits is a really lovely sight and the rabbits have company all the time, making them an all round happier bunny. Take into consideration that they will need much larger accomodation, and all bills will effectively double with a pair.

Male/Male vs Female/Female vs Male/Female.

While it is possible to keep two males or two females together, it is generally much more difficult than a mixed sex pair.
    Same Sex - Two litter mates tend to get on better than intoducing the same sex at a later date, and as always it all depends on the temperment of the rabbit. Having both of the rabbits neutered will help to keep them bonded and/or bond them.
    Mixed Sex - At least the male will have to be neutered in order to stop unwanted pregnancies, and baby buns. It is also often easier, as with same sex pairs, to have both of the rabbits "done" as this makes them less hormonal, so they should get on better.
    It is also possible to bond more than two rabbits but it can be considerably harder than with two. Two females and a male is a popular mix, and seems to work well in most cases. Bear in mind that the more rabbits that are bonded together, the bigger the accomodation needs to be!!!

Feel free to change about a bit if it doesnt make sence, and check spelling :p

*Heidi*

19. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Thanks Heidi, I must admit thats something I didn't think about when making the template.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice