UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is what was too long to put on the message board. Hope it makes sense!

The bergies are brushed every day, believe it or not! The hair is not matted, it is a weave of three different typyes of hair - the undercoat, the top coat, and a wiry hair called goat hair. When the adult coat starts to grow (at around 9 months to 1yr) it weaves through the undercoat and the goat hair at an angle. This causes the hair to stand up in ridges from side to side across the dog. Each ridge then splits lengthways (ie from the dog's head to its tail) and this is the beginning of the maps. They just grow longer and longer as the dog gets older - a dog won't be in full coat until he is 5 or 6 years old. The maps don't go all the way down to the skin - there is about half an inch of unwoven hair next to the skin at the bottom of each one, so the skin is absolutely clear of maps. All this happens naturally, without us doing anything other than brushing it every day. You can't brush out the maps because they're not matted fur, they're a almost like a piece of woven felt. And each map is separate, so they don't fall off in massive chunks either! If you look at this pic of Baggio you should be able to see it more clearly.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
i touched one at discover dogs I remember it feeling like felt.
They're amazing
so what do you brush it with?
Do you trim them if the maps drag on the floor?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
What an honour.

Thanks Spellweaver. Very informative but tell me, do you ever crawl underneatht he dog so it feels liek you are going through the plastic things at a supermarket? ;)

Armour plated dogs are the furture.

God only knows how they selectively bred for this but they look fabulous.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:eek: I would be so temped to shave it off :lol: not really :D
Are they prone to skin conditions :eek:
heh heh - if you shaved it off it would just grow again! :p

No, they are not prone to skin conditions because the maps don't go right down to the skin - their skin is totally clear. In fact, because of the mapping, they never ever get mats. There are no known health conditions in the breed at all. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that the breed is over 2000 years old and is exactly the way nature intended it to be - ie man hasn't interfered by breeding anything into it or out of it.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i touched one at discover dogs I remember it feeling like felt.
They're amazing
so what do you brush it with?
Do you trim them if the maps drag on the floor?
We just brush them with an ordinary soft brush that we paid the princely sum of £1 for! You can't brush out the maps because, as you so rightly said, they are just like pieces of felt. Dirt and mud dries on the maps and then can be brushed off, so brushing them is more a matter of keeping the coat clean rather than brushing the hair.

The maps tend to wear away naturally (by friction - ie rubbing against the floor) when they get to floor level, or so I'm told - ours haven't quite reached that stage yet.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
We just brush them with an ordinary soft brush that we paid the princely sum of £1 for! You can't brush out the maps because, as you so rightly said, they are just like pieces of felt. Dirt and mud dries on the maps and then can be brushed off, so brushing them is more a matter of keeping the coat clean rather than brushing the hair.

The maps tend to wear away naturally (by friction - ie rubbing against the floor) when they get to floor level, or so I'm told - ours haven't quite reached that stage yet.
Thats really helpful thanks.
Ha ha a £1 brush being perfect is Ace! :thumbup:I need a new slicker (bigger one)for Willow already!
I understand now, you brush the maps and keep them clean but you dont have to split the maps or hair or anything, wonderful stuff.

Dunno if you know the answer to this? When you see splitters for sale what kind of coats are they for?

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Thats really helpful thanks.
Ha ha a £1 brush being perfect is Ace! :thumbup:I need a new slicker (bigger one)for Willow already!
I understand now, you brush the maps and keep them clean but you dont have to split the maps or hair or anything, wonderful stuff.

Dunno if you know the answer to this? When you see splitters for sale what kind of coats are they for?
Use these in the grooming parlour, basically they are for splitting matts on a dog that has not been groomed properly - makes it easier to get the matts out

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What an honour.

Thanks Spellweaver. Very informative but tell me, do you ever crawl underneatht he dog so it feels liek you are going through the plastic things at a supermarket? ;)

Armour plated dogs are the furture.

God only knows how they selectively bred for this but they look fabulous.
lol re plastic things at supermarket - no, cos it doesn't feel plasticy, it's really soft! :p

Interesting remark re armour plating though, cos that's one of the functions of the coat. Predators in the Italian alps are snakes and wolves - snakes can't strike through the coat and wolves can't bite through it.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you trim anything on them at all, on the puli we trim feet, bum and face
Not unless they have an accident - I have been known to trim around the bum when they've had the squits. I also trim underneath their paws, inbetween their pads if the hair seems not to be wearing down properly. Other than that it's very low maintenance.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Not unless they have an accident - I have been known to trim around the bum when they've had the squits. I also trim underneath their paws, inbetween their pads if the hair seems not to be wearing down properly. Other than that it's very low maintenance.
Dear Marley is quite high maintenance, lots of cord splitting on him :scared:

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
heh heh - that's one of the reasons we chose bergies rather than pulis - the maps don't need splitting like the cords do. I do like pulis though - and your Marley is gorgeous!
Thanks, his cords are coming on great now, will try to get a photo of him fairly soon, not as easy to get the definition on the cords though as the maps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.