Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

for all breeders

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by zacknzena, Jun 7, 2010.

1. zacknzena

zacknzena PetForums VIP

I have just been wondering today about breeding ( dogs or cats) .

What made you want to start breeding ? What do you enjoy about it ? How did you learn all about breeding etc ? And the big question .... please dont flame me , just curious , Why is it ok for people to breed pedigree dogs/cats and not cross or non pedigree dogs/ cats ? , because pedigree's end up in rescue's too dont they ?

sorry since my scare with zena ii have been wondering , lack of sleep i think :)

i dont mean to offend or miff anyone off :)

#1 zacknzena, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I was born in to it. Something my family have always done.

Against forum rules to discuss this one due to the arguments it causes.

3. zacknzena

zacknzena PetForums VIP

oh ok , i didnt know :)

4. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

No I didn't know that either.

I always wanted to have puppies but knew this was not a good idea unless I had a good pedigree bitch. Luckily when I got Jess I was encouraged by the breeder to think about breeding when she was older, so I took her to shows (admittedly only country shows nothing too intense) and she did well and as her temperment is brilliant I decided I would give it a go with the help of her breeder. It is a lovely experience but very worrying (as you know) and lots of hard work but worth it when you get emails from the puppies new owners letting you know how much they are loved.

Probably won't ever breed again after this time as will probably never have the right bitch again and this is the last time I would put her through it.

5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I wasn't born into it, although my mother told me recently she is surprised I grew up with hands as I spent most of my time as a baby and toddler trying to get my hands on any dog I saw when I was still in a pushchair :scared:

I grew up with dogs, and spent most of my teenage years working with them - I had my sights set on being a vet, sadly, severe allergies to a number of other animals killed that idea :(

I didn't have any dogs while my daughter was young, because between my work, studies and parental duties, not to mention a a completely unfounded fear of dogs by my daughter, it simply wouldn't have been right.

Then suddenly when she was about 12, she decided she wanted a dog - a a GSD none the less - the very breed I had owned and been fascinated with throughout my childhood - sadly this was out for two reasons, a) my partner is terrified of them b) I don't like what's happened to them :(

After two years of trawling the rescues trying to find a suitable dog my daughter didn't scream and run away from, we eventually settled on a Chocolate Labrador - and from the day she came home I remembered what I had been missing for the last 15 years or so - and hence the interest in showing and breeding was re-ignited.

I bought my foundation bitch, but sadly, was unable to breed from her because some of her health results weren't quite up to scratch, so we decided to breed from our health tested elder girl - who has now, through her adorable eldest daughter given me super pups - effectively I've bred my own foundation bitch for my kennel - with my gorgeous sweet girl behind them.

Why do I do it? certainly not for the money - with health tests and stud fees, pre-mate testing / scans etc, I invest around £2000 in a bitch before I get a sniff of a puppy (and this doesn't include fuel and cleaning costs), but hopefully in doing so, I can improve my breeding lines in terms of conformation while retaining good health results and the superb temperaments and excellent retrieving instincts all my dogs have.

=============

I also waited until my daughter had grown up and completed her A'levels before I embarked in any breeding. (incidentally, her irrational and unfounded fear of dogs is thankfully now long behind her)

#5 swarthy, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  6. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

although being around a dog all my childhood days, i had to wait until i was married to fulfil my dream of owning a rough collie, i bought her from a top kennel , i was encouraged by them to have a litter from her which i did. I had a friend locally who was my mentor, she had roughs , bred and judged them.

32 years on i now have 6......... 3 dogs 3 bitches, during that time i've had 9 litters and only breed when i want one to keep myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice