Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foods you should not feed your cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sequeena, Aug 7, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I came across this and whilst most and/or all of it is very obvious it's interesting to know the effects SHOULD your cat ever ingest any of it.

Foods You Should Not Feed Your Cat

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Good link,

Heres a list I have:

A good reason for not giving in and feeding cats "people food" is that there are a number of foods that are toxic to cats. You may have forgotten that the gravy slathered over your Thanksgiving turkey used broth that was flavored with onion, among other things. While it is tasty and harmless to humans, onions are very toxic to cats. The following is a list of foods that cats should never eat:

Onions, Garlic, & Related Root Vegetables

Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount.

Tomatoes, Green (raw Potatoes)

These foods are members of the Solanaceae family of plants, which includes the Deadly Nightshade, and contain a bitter, poisonous alkaloid called Glycoalkaloid Solanine, which can cause violent lower gastrointestinal symptoms. The Feline Future web site About.com: http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/tomato.php offers a rare description of a cat which was close to death from ingesting just one cherry tomato

Chocolate

It's becoming more widely known that chocolate is very toxic to both cats and dogs. Theobromine is the offending substance here. Janet Tobiassen Crosby, D.V.M. has an excellent article on the symptoms, effects, and treatment of chocolate toxicity. Chocolate Toxicity - What Makes Chocolate Toxic To Pets

Grapes and Raisins

These foods' toxicity has mainly been found in dogs, in quantities of varying amounts.

Milk

Although milk is not toxic to cats, it may have adverse effects. Simply put, adult cats fed a nutritious diet don't need milk, and many cats are lactose-intolerant, which means that the lactose in milk and milk products produces stomach upset, cramps, and gassiness. If your cat loves milk, and begs for it, a small amount of cream may be okay, two or three times a week. (The more fat in the milk, the less lactose.) Another compromise is CatSip, a product made from skim milk with an enzyme added that helps the digestion of lactose.

These are the most commonly seen "people foods" that are potentially harmful to cats.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

That's interesting thanks crofty!

4. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

That's really interesting! Mazie always go mad when we have garlic in something and literally tries to pull it off the plate. I don't ever give her any but will definitely make sure that she doesn't get away with any now!

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I didn't know half of the things either, it's a really good read isn't it!

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Those sort of articles should really be qualified with more details like the amounts needed to be ingested to cause an issue.

For instance:
    • Only cooked bones cause an issue, raw bones are perfectly safe and form an integral part of a raw diet
    • Onions and garlic - Garlic in small doses has health benefits as it is a natural antiseptic and can be found as a supplement for cats and dogs. A cat would have to eat more than 1 whole raw onion for it to potentially cause an issue.
    • Raw eggs - biotin is only found in the white. Raw egg yolks are perfectly safe and a great source of nutrition and protein as well as being a great treat.
    • Raw fish is routinely fed as a part of a raw diet by some, with no ill affects.
    • Potato - must be news to applaws, dried potato is the second listed ingredient on their dry food that they market as being
      - (which is rubbish imo unless cats in the wild leave their food out to be sundried to a crisp before ingesting it)

MySugar likes this.
  7. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

That's really interesting about not giving cat's dog food. My cat I had when I was a child would only eat dog food. We had 8 dogs at one point and I guess he didn't want to be different. He lived until he was 19 so didn't do him any harm!

Thanks for the list though!

Sharon
    x

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks Saikou! It's really interested to hear this from someone who has proper experience with cats. I've had cats throughout my life but I was just the one who petted them and fed them every so often.

I think some things are touch and go. Before I met my OH he used to give our collie cross chocolate all the time. It's extremely toxic to both cats and dogs yet she's had no problems whatsoever. Of course I've put a stop to it now ;)

9. macro01

macro01 PetForums Newbie

yes i know chocolates are very bad to cats...
    don't feed them with liquor too (although only a very dumb person will do it):D

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My OH is very dumb :thumbup: glad someone else agrees with me LOL

11. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Like any thing on that list, doseage is important. One small piece of chocolate would not harm a dog, it has to be consumed over certain levels to have a toxic affect, plus it depends on the type of chocolate.

I would be more concerned about the affects on the dogs teeth than any toxic affect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice