Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foods to help put weight on

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tomskrat, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Tomskrat

Tomskrat PetForums Member

My parents 14 year old cat has recently had surgery to remove her thyroid, after being diognosed with hyperthyroidism. She lost a lot of weight due to her condition, but hasnt been making any progress since the operation (nearly 3 weeks ago). The way the vet described it she should "bouncing back" and continues to reassure to just give her more time.

Is there i can give her diet wise in the mean time? Like any food that is good at building up weight on skinny cats?

Thanks in advance! :)

#1 Tomskrat, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.

Hypo or hyper thyroidism ?

My cat has hyperthyroidism which increases his metabolic rate if untreated.

For various reasons I have written in other posts and too complicated to go into here he gets fed predominantly on chicken (with additional supplements - felini complete). I also tried him on a good quality protein grain free commercial food like feringa, Smilla, granta pet , animonda carny and Terra faelis (all available from zooplus) which he will sometimes eat.

Many hyper thyroid cats loose muscle mass due to their disease. For my boy this diet has kept his muscle and weight on.

If your cat has hypo thyroid (where they are usually producing too little thyroid hormone, not too much) then I am not sure what to advise as usually cats put on weight not lose it.

Try a good quality food and see if this helps.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Tomskrat - Hypothyroidism is rare in cats, and even if it were an under-active thyroid there would be no purpose in removing the thyroid gland unless it had a tumour on it. I expect your parents' cat had Hyperthyroidism, meaning the thyroid gland was over active.

Removing the thyroid gland surgically is one form of treatment for an over active thyroid. However there can sometimes be thyroid tissue located outside the gland itself, e.g. in the chest, and this would be too difficult, or impossible to remove. In which case further treatment is required in the form of more anti-thyroid drugs. What are the cat's current T4 blood test results? If the Free T4 and the Total T4 are still showing as above normal range then the cat is still hyperthyroid and is unlikely to gain weight.

If the cat's T4 levels have dropped to within normal range following surgical removal of the thyroid gland, then he should gradually gain weight on a high protein quality diet. Protein is what builds muscle and as kittih says, it will be muscle mass that has been lost due the the disease.

Do you know what foods your parents are feeding the cat? I would be feeding a pure protein meal as one of the daily meals, e.g. cooked chicken, turkey, duck, lamb chunks, pork chunks or beef chunks. And the rest of the meals would be good quality canned foods such as those available from Zooplus UK (Feringa, Grau Gourmet, Animonda Vom Feinsten) or The Happy Kitty Co.( Tundra, Macs Sensitive, Granatapet, Ropocat).

Feeding little and often is the way to build up an older cat who has lost muscle mass. And feeding on demand, not keeping to a time table. The cat may need 6 small meals a day.

#3 chillminx, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    kittih likes this.
  4. Tomskrat

Hyperthyroidism!!! i do apologise it auto corrected on my phone!

5. Tomskrat

Thank you both very much! I will push her vet for another blood test make sure T4 levels have returned to normal. Parents do feed her foods from zooolus she definatly has smilla and the like, but i think they also feed her whiskers, so will make sure shes on better stuff. Will start her on cooked chicken in the meantime.

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

As @chillminx says feed on demand or little and often helps too. My boy has periods where he will eat lots and times when he isn't so hungry. I suspect we haven't quite got the dose 100 % yet and as the disease progresses the tumour grows and produces more. (He isn't a candidate for surgery). As above get his levels checked again. Unfortunately if there is thyroid tissue elsewhere then on radio iodine treatment or medication will help.

If your parents find that he still has hyperthyroid issues and radio iodine is not an option then I can recommend Thyronorm liquid (thiamazole) for cats made by Norbrook. It was only released this spring.You can easily add it to food and it doesn't taste unpleasant. My cat won't tolerate medication in pill form though some cats are fine with this, so if this is an issue with your cat then it is an option to consider.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice