Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food worries - new poster help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Wish, May 2, 2011.

1. Wish

Wish PetForums Newbie

Hi.

Up until tonight I didn't have a worry but after reading the forum I now have a couple of questions about feeding my Persian.

Up until last week I had 2 Persians but lost one due to cancer,but that's another story. The eldest who we lost was on wet food, but the youngest who is 5 will only eat dry food and will never touch the wet meat.

Now we only have to put down dry food :-(
    He is on Purina One but want him to have the best ... So would like to get him on to Orijen now reading the forum.

The question I have is is it really bad to just feed him dry? He is our first cat that has only ever eaten dry and will not touch wet.

Your advice please

Regards

Wish

2. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

Dry food is fine, just don't be surprised if he drinks more water than normal! Dry helps to keep their teeth clean too :) xx

3. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Dry food doesn't actually help to clean their teeth unless it is a special type designed for this purpose. Also the grain and sugars in dry food actually contribute to plaque build up. (I think! *shouts* HOBBS?!).

If it is at all possible to get your cat to eat some wet food, that would be much better for him (especially as males are more prone to urinary tract infections).

Cats tend not to drink much and even if they appear to be drinking alot because they are fed dry, they still do not get enough moisture, and cats fed wet food still have a higher moisture intake.

4. fuzzymum

I stand corrected lol! Ignore me, I thought i knew what I was talking about :eek: *hangs head* xx

5. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Don't worry! We are all here to learn. :) I used to think exactly the same as you until I joined this forum.

6. fuzzymum

Well, it is what we are lead to believe! Although all of my cats have always had a mix of both....so guess I didn't really believe it myself ha!

so, on reflection....bit of both :D have you tried the high quality wet foods? Applaws etc? Also sometimes warming it up a little can help, everything is smellier when warmed up :) xx

7. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Applaws wet food isn't complete, and doesn't contain all the nutrients your cat needs. I have read it can make for fussy cats with regards to wet food.

There a lot of high quality wet foods available from zooplus, including Grau, Animonda, Bozita, Smilla.

8. Wish

Wish PetForums Newbie

So it's bad to feed him just dry food ?
    I have just ordered him some dry applaws and orijen to try him on the better stuff rather than the Purina One

He just won't eat wet food. We get our new kitten in around 6 weeks and will want ideas for the best kitten food. Maybe that's for another topic post.

9. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Kittens can eat exactly thesame as adult cats.

The brandslisted above are very high quality wet food (bozita,grau, animonda,smilla, though mine wont eatsmilla) and are perfectfor a kitten also.

10. Wish

Wish PetForums Newbie

Many thanks

So to clarify wet food only is a bad diet? How can I get him to eat wet as well ? As he's 5 now and never has even though it's been offered

11. gloworm*mushroom

God no! Wet food only is a very good diet :p

There isno need to feed dry alongside wet. I feed only wet food. The nutrition in dry does not compare to wet food. Dry food is only better than other dry food, in myopinion no dry food can touch wet food :)

12. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

What about crushing some dry food up and sprinkling it onto his wet till he gets used to it? Also take up the kibble as he won't eat wet if he knows he has a supply of dry that he can turn to. :D

13. gloworm*mushroom

If you meant 'is dry food only a bad diet' then, in my opinion, yes. There is very little moisture in dry food and the meat is often dried or meal which is not as good as proper wet meat.

There arealot of benefitsto wet food as you get some good meatdown them as well as moisture. Lack of moisture due to a dry diet can lead to uriniary infections.

Apologies about lack of spacing, on myparents computer and the space bar is clearly broken!

14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have the fussiest of fussy bums where wet food is concerned.My trick is to crush some Thrive treats or Brewers yeast Brewers Yeast Powder | Food Supplements | Holland & Barrett over the wet food ,it seems to fool him.

15. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Too bad Loki won't touch anything with brewers yeast on (unless I outdo him in the stubborn stakes and keep taking it up and putting it back down every half hour!) and due to this I actually found a FLEA on him!!! :eek:

Sorry to go offtopic!

16. gloworm*mushroom

All fussy cats should come and speak to Mushroom. he is the least fussy thing Ive ever seen. He'd eat me if I gave him half the chance...

17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

:eek: Ewwwwwwwww :lol::lol:

18. Wish

Wish PetForums Newbie

Sorry I did mean dry food only. He just will not eat wet food.

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Although a tad lengthy, have a look through the following link about ways to move a kibble addict on to wet food: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

I agree with the others. Ideally, you would like to feed a wet only diet of high quality wet food. However, we rarely live in an ideal world. While I would suggest that you try your hardest and persevere with moving your cat on to wet food, should he just prove to be a staunch kibble addict, then try to feed him good quality dry food and provide loads of water sources for him to maximise the amount of moisture he takes in.

20. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

:D Now that would be a sight! :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice