Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food/water bowl for a BSH - whiskers a problem?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Totoro, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Totoro

Totoro PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I'm new here and to the world of cats!
    I'm getting everything sorted for my British shorthair Totoro to come home.

I have been looking around for bowls for him and came across some by Slavic - they are shallow, wide and have ridges.
    They describe them as ideal for BSH as the cats don't have to put their heads too far in and irritate their whiskers.
    I hadn't considered this and was just going to get standard bowls - this is what he's had with the breeder and his mother seemed to be ok with them.

Can anyone advise whether I should be getting a special bowl?
    Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just want him to be happy!

Thanks x

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

IVe never had problems with my british girl or the british kittens drinking from a 'normal' bowl, we have from shallow to deep! :)

what colour are you getting? :) :)

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the PF and congrats on your kitten! :)

I use saucers or small sideplates with my cats. Whatever you get - deep or shallow - go for ceramic or glass. Not plastic; that scratches easily over time, giving germs a nice little home. Also seems to cause feline acne in some.

4. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I do the same as Hobbes, except I tend to use dinner plates (Wilkinsons) and raise them up on a stand (actually one of those double metal bowl holders - upturned ;) ) - I've got persians and found they liked drinking from these better than normal bowls.

Here's my lovely Sam (RIP :( ) demonstrating

[​IMG]

and this is another one I tried with a different sort of plate, slightly deeper, they didnt use this one as much though, so I stick to the shallower plates.

[​IMG]

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hey Ambercat, haven't seen you around for ages! Love the contraptions to elevate the bowls. :) I occasionally use an upturned ceramic water bowl for my BSH who seems to like to eat things from a little pedestal. :rolleyes:

6. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I've been here ;) just been quiet :D

Mine have also got similar outdoor drinking bowls - except in terracotta :) I use the shallow terracotta dishes for putting under pots, then raise them up on pot feet, here's Zeta demonstrating that one (pebbles optional ;) )

[​IMG]

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I am quite sure the pebbles aren't optional - they lend a certain je ne said quois to it all. And isn't it strange that for whatever reason they prefer the rainwater with green bits and gunk.

8. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

My Moggies prefer to drink from a mug or glass, so I have cat mugs dotted around the house now :D

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ambercat....I love the idea of the garden bowl...the pebbles make it look quite decorative! I will certainly be copying that design.
    I have to admit to having something of an obsession with finding the perfect cat food dish. I really must go back to Ibiza town where I used to get some very nice decorated sets! The criteria changed slightly when I switched to wet food from dry, and I thought I had found the PERFECT plate in a little shallow bowl from Ikea..only for them to discontinue that range! ARGH!
    The search continues....

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

We have 3 BSH and have never had any problem with feeding bowls.
    They all manage to eat from their own and manage to nick from our bowls and plates too!! ( If they get the chance!:D)

I will speak for everyone on here that we would love to see some photos of him or her and welcome to the forum.

Ps once you get a BSH they do become additive.:eek:
    One is not enough:rolleyes::

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I find all three of my girls (BSH) just tuck their whiskers back to eat or drink :D Clever girls they are :lol: I wouldn't worry too much about what bowls you use, just not plastic or melamine either. My girls also love drinking from their Catemate water fountain too!

Don't know where Lila learnt that one Hobbs ... :eek:

12. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Just wondering if your cat was named after an animation film character, I've seen something with that name in it, or am I imagining it? :)

13. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

Minoush has huge whiskers and he does fine. Although we do have a normal shallow plastic bowl for the dry food. I use a flat saucer when I give him wet food (weekly treat). He drinks from a Cat Mate water fountain. :)

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I couldnt see why they would have a problem, big whiskers do just tuck back nicely.
    Even cats with little or no whiskers manage (Rex's and baldie breeds). Although alot of them will stick a paw just into the water so they can judge where it is better!!:rolleyes:

15. Totoro

Totoro PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone! You've put my mind at rest, I'll start him out with a ceramic bowl and go from there! :p

Ally-Kats Yep, you're right. He's named after a Japanese animation film about a huge friendly forest spirit! ^_^

My profile picture is a picture of Totoro and I'll add some more now!

16. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

I love that film! Great name for a BSH! :D
    Can't wait to see pictures!

17. Totoro

Totoro PetForums Newbie

Aloha Popoki! <-- see what I did there?! :D

Thank you, I've been obessessed with the film since my ex-boy introduced me to it 8 years ago! :eek:
    I decided to get a Blue BSH in december and call him Totoro. My ex-boyf died in February and I had wanted him to meet Totoro so badly (we stayed close friends after the split). So in way it's a sad and a happy name for me :)

Your cat is beautiful! x

18. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Aloha!

What a sad story. At least Totoro will always remind you of him.
    How long til little Totoro comes home?

Our cat Kiki (in my profile pic) is semi-named after another Japanese cartoon from the same director - Kiki's Delivery Service! There's a cat in it called Jiji, but we thought Kiki, the name of the little witch suited our kitten better! :D
    xx

19. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Speaking of flat bowls, do any of you know where I can get hold of the 5 inch flatish stainless steel bowls that used to be sold at cat shows a few years back? I've seen some at a friend's house, and they look super for kittens! Can only find 6 inch ones on the net, and the quality's not so good.

20. Totoro

Totoro PetForums Newbie

I love Kiki's Delivery Service! I'm a massive Studio Ghibli fan! Kiki looks like a beautiful cat :001_wub:

Approx 20 days until he comes home and I can't wait!!!

Sorry Carly87 I don't have a clue, mostly I've been shopping on Amazon and petplanet.co.uk <-- they delivered really quickly and it was free over £29!

xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice