Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food to Tempt a Convalescing Cat...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by cows573, Apr 30, 2017.

1. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

My dear cat, Fanta had to have dead kittens removed from her on Friday and was neutered at the same time.

While, she seems in good enough form - although we don't know what is normal for her as we have only had her just over 2 weeks, I am struggling to get her to eat.

We were feeding her dry & wet kitten food - she much preferred the wet food - Whiskas. Now, she is only having a very small amount of the sachet before leaving the rest. We tried her with a small amount of cooked ham that we had in the fridge and she wasn't interested. Tonight, we had some white fish for tea, so I tried her with some of that. Again, she only had a flake or two, seemed to enjoy it but refused any more.

I know another option may be some cooked chicken - I will try that for her tomorrow.

Can anyone suggest any other ways to try and improve her appetite? I am starting to get a bit concerned as she looks very thin. I have wormed her recently.

2. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

I am sorry to read about the loss of the kittens. When was the last time Fanta ate something?

I would not leave dry food down at this stage and try and remove this from her diet in the near future. I would boil the chicken tonight and leave it to cool down overnight in the fridge covered in the water (broth) you boiled it in and try to feed her small amounts often tomorrow, starting tomorrow morning, you have to reintroduce food slowly so you don't cause her to reject it. You have to remember she has been through a stressful event losing her kittens and she maybe grieving. Try not to force the food on her and remain calm.If she has not eaten at all over 12 hours I would be on the phone to the vet asking for advice. How is she at the moment? Is she hiding or is she asleep?

#2 stockwellcat., Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@cows573 - Is Fanta on pain relief or antibiotics? If so they could be affecting her appetite. Or perhaps she is still recovering from the general anaesthetic as it was only 2 days ago.

How many grams (or pouches) do you think she is eating per day? I would be worried about her getting dehydrated if she is not eating much. Can you check her gums are pink and moist and the skin on her scruff 'pings' back into place like elastic when you lift it between your thumb and forefinger. If not then she will need to see the vet as she may need IV fluids. As well as being bad for their kidneys and bladder, dehydration makes cats feel unwell.

If a cat is off colour their sense of smell becomes dulled and this affects their appetite. I would avoid giving her usual foods at present. Can you try tempting her with some strong smelling foods such as canned sardines in spring water (not in brine or oil) or some pilchards in tomato sauce (do not feed much as the sauce contains salt) or even try some poached white fish (Tesco do a bag of frozen white fish in their Value range which my cats love when they are under the weather).

It is important to get her eating again a.s.a.p. :)

stockwellcat. likes this.
  4. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I would say we would be lucky is she has ate one full sachet of wet food since she came home. She received painkillers and antibiotics during the operation and the vet reckoned that would cover her. She is going back for a check up tomorrow.

She isn't showing any interest in the dry cat food at all. She isn't hiding but spends most of her time sleeping but this is pretty much all she has done since we got her...

I will just go and check if I have sardines or similar in the cupboard and will check her mouth etc. as advised....

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

One full sachet of food since Friday is not enough. She doesn't sound well to me. :( Especially as she is sleeping most of the time. It must be worrying for you.

How old is she? If she is a youngster (up to age 3 or 4) I'd expect her to be more active. I am glad she is seeing the vet tomorrow.

Is she drinking a lot to compensate for the lack of fluids she'd be getting in her wet food?

6. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

Her gums are pink and moist, her skin does spring back but maybe not quite like elastic. I have no sardines but have red and pink salmon, herring in tomato sauce and mackerel in tomato sauce...

7. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I know she's not eating anywhere near enough but am really struggling to find something she will eat. She is drinking but I would say not enough to compensate for not eating...

8. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

She is probably barely a year old, just a youngster. She shows no interest in really doing anything, other than when a mouse decided to visit in our kitchen and she moved at lightning speed!

I recognise anything I have in the cupboard does contain salt, but which may be the best? The white fish I cooked for her doesn't have a very strong smell, so that might not attract her as much...

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It's a relief to hear her gums are pink and moist :) . As long as the skin on her scruff is not 'tenting' when you pull it up then it should be OK.

Mackerel in tomato sauce, mashed would be OK. Check it has no black pepper or vinegar in it. Salmon is also OK. I would try her with either or both.

Is she a cat who likes cat nip? Sometimes sprinkling a bit of powdered cat nip on their food will get them started.

10. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I will try the mackerel to start with...

I have no experience of cat nip & don't have any unfortunately... We have no knowledge of what Fanta likes as we just re-homed her from the vet's as a pregnant stray.

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Poor little poppet, I am sorry she sounds so down and uninterested in life. :( When I remember my own 2 girls at a year old they were so active and full of beans all day!

What do you know of Fanta's history - was she a stray or was she given up by the owner to a Rescue? Maybe she has had a really rough time in her life before you adopted her. :(

Cross posted with you - I see you adopted her from the vet's. How did she happen to be at the vet's do you know?

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Try warming the mackerel up a bit to make the smell more enticing. 5 seconds (covered) in the microwave, and then mix well to avoid hotspots.

13. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

She had been on the streets for a week before she was picked up by the vet's, spent one week their before we homed her. I think she was a loved family pet in a household with kids prior to all this though as she isn't bothered by my children and doesn't show any deserve to go outside.

The kittens had been dead for over 2 weeks, so life on the streets probably caused them to die - she was door cruising, begging for food.

She liked the mackerel, but just as before, only took two or three small forkfuls before she had had enough and walked off to clean herself.

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, a poor diet while pregnant can cause the kittens to die in the womb, even to be reabsorbed sometimes. She probably often went hungry.

Females don't tend to go far from home, though un-spayed cats may wander further than spayed ones as they are looking for a mate. Even so, one would think if she had been a loved pet who'd escaped from her home the owner would have made some proper effort to find her. All local vets would be the first places to contact.

It is very sad, bless her. But thank the lord she has you now. :)

I am glad she liked the mackerel. :) At least she has eaten something. Perhaps keep offering her a little every couple of hours.

You could try canned tuna too, if you have any. When one of my previous cats was very poorly canned tuna was all she would eat for a couple of days.

Will she drink goats milk do you know? Would be a way of getting fluids into her, as long as it doesn't stop her eating. I find that goats milk is often easier for them to digest than cows milk, but you'd need to start with a small amount in case it gives her a loose stool. Supermarkets sell fresh goats milk on the chilled counter.

Or Asda sells little cartons of TopLife Puppy Milk which is made of goats milk. (Don't buy TopLife Cat or Kitten Milk, they both contain cows milk). I use the Puppy TopLife milk for one of mine when he is unwell.

15. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

We have given her a small amount of cow's milk, but our milk is raw which is different from pasteurised cow's milk. I don't intend to give her any more but it was to get fluid into her.

I will go shopping for sardines & tuna in spring water tomorrow as well as chicken and cat nip and I will add goat's milk to the list if I can get it (our nearest town is quite small).

I and the vets think she local, kicked out for being pregnant. She kept going to the window of a house that has indoor cats and crying at the window.

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If so they are horrible cruel people for kicking her out pregnant. :mad: How much effort would it have taken for the owner to have contacted one of the Rescues and got her taken in! Pregnant females are always given priority for spaces.

Home made chicken broth is also a good way of getting fluids in, as well as being nourishing. Use chicken drum sticks, cooked in water for an hour, then strain and refrigerate over night and skim off fat next day. Warm up as needed in microwave. She can also have the chicken too if she will eat it. :) Tesco sells a bag of frozen chicken drumsticks in their Value range. I used to buy them for the cats at the shelter and they went down well. :)

17. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I seen the article on bone broth so I will try that too.

Believe it or not, but the vet's contacted a major concern rescue centre in our area - as they had no space, their advice was to put a collar on her and return her to the streets. The only other rescue centre in our area (again a major one) would not take responsibility for her as she wasn't unwell.

They only contacted me as they knew I had an aging population of cats and had been looking for some younger blood. They felt that following the rescue centre's advice would have been breeching their duty of care....

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am really shocked to hear that!! :eek: . Perhaps there are very few Rescues in your part of the country and far too many cats needing spaces. But to suggest putting a pregnant cat back on the streets to fend for herself is truly disgraceful and appalling!!:mad: . Thank goodness the vet did not go along with the advice. And thank goodness that he contacted you. You sound like a very kind, caring person. :)

At the independent Rescue I help to run (I am on the committee) we would never turn away a pregnant homeless cat. The pregnant mums (and kittens) we admit are placed with our foster carers in their own homes and there is nearly always space somewhere, especially at this time of year when there are few kittens being born.

I hope Cats Protection was not one of the Rescues that refused to help! They have lots of foster carers (at least in the S.E of England they do). I don't volunteer for CP, but know people who do.

claire8234 likes this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

20. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

They suggested putting her on the street!

There are only two rescue centres in our area and other than those main ones, there are no rescue centres for at least 60 miles. The other one at 60 miles is for feral cats and then it is 2 hours drive for any other ones.

On Tuesday, I plan to contact CP regarding possible fostering to prevent anything like this happening again in our area. The only issue I have is that they seem to require a completely separate room for any foster cats. I have a second toilet but it isn't very big and we have a spare bedroom, but it is carpeted - not handy for potential accidents...

Fanta has now had some salmon too and she really liked that! Again just a small amount, I think little and often could be the answer...

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice