Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food that doesnt quite make the zooplus list but is close!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bigsize9foot, Sep 16, 2020 at 7:40 AM.

1. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

Hi- I am wondering if anyone uses any food that doesnt quite make the zooplus list that might be a bit cheaper? My cat and kittens alternate between 3 brands on zooplus- ragout royal pouches, smilla, bozita and carny. It works out quite expensive and I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative that just didnt make the list but was still good quality that I could alternate in. I did look at one brand that was mentioned on the big thread but Luna can only really have bird based meat. She isnt good with fish or beef.

Thanks in advance :)

Treaclesmum likes this.
  2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Try Catessy. It comes in chunks or pate :)

I mainly use Catessy, Catz Finefood and Miamor pate as well. Currently using a lot of RC Sensitivity pouches but they are expensive too.

3. Bigsize9foot

I was looking at this one but it has too many mixed flavours. Lunas only really good with bird meats. Sigh!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Some of the Zooplus wet foods come in 800 gram sizes which cuts the cost quite a bit. With 3 cats you would get through 800 grams in 2 days. Decant from the can into a tupperware container or a covered glass bowl and store in the fridge.

Some people freeze the contents of canned food when there is too much to use in a day.

Kittens are OK with good quality adult foods.

Otherwise I suggest the supermarkets' own makes which are cheaper and are fairly OK. Sainsbury's or Morrison's perhaps.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  5. Bigsize9foot

Thank you! I was looking at the larger tins but didn’t think the kittens could have them. So why do they have kitten food then?! A marketing gimmick?

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, in many cases Kitten food is a marketing gimmick. ;) But some makes of Kitten food genuinely contain slightly higher amounts of protein and fats to the adult recipes. Otherwise the ingredients are usually exactly the same.

But some of the better quality makes state their cat foods are suitable for all stages of development. So as long as you feed a varied diet of different makes and different meats, the kittens should be fine with adult food. It will contain all the recommended daily allowance of vitamins and minerals.

7. Bigsize9foot

Thanks- Ive managed to save a wee bit by buying in bulk now. I've chosen Smilla tins and chunks, Carny tins, Bozita chunks and Bozita tins. The only thing is that I've had to stick with turkey, chicken, duck and a combination of those hearts. Luna wont tolerate fish or beef.

Can an adult cat eat kitten food? I know Luna is good with all the kittens foodas its what she had when she was a kitten.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes an adult can eat kitten food, but note that some kitten foods are higher in fat than adult foods so could be fattening for an adult who is not very active. At the Shelter we always feed our pregnant and nursing mum cats with kitten foods for the extra fats and proteins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice