Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food recommendations for sensitive stomachs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by NickyO, May 11, 2010.

1. NickyO

NickyO PetForums Newbie

Hi. Just wanting to pick people's brains!!
    I've got a golden retriever (2 next month) who apart from his 'toileting' is otherwise very active and healthy. He has always had a bit of problem and seems to be either constipated or has the squits. It seems to be getting worse as he's getting older and obviously has a sensitive stomach. He is currently on a bland diet of chicken and rice or egg and rice just for 5 days and then I'm going to introduce another kibble to what he's currently been on. The big question is which one?? The vet is pushing, sorry suggested, royal canin initially trying the basic adult feed moving onto the one for sensitive stomachs if no improvement. I know it is a good food but is it more superior than any of the others or is my vet suggesting it because I know it's the one they stock and therefore probably get commission? He used to be on James Wellbeloved but when both myself and husband were made redundant last year and were eating from the value aisle in the supermarket I thought it was time to readdress the balance! Since then he has been on trophy which I think was actually a bit too bulky for him and bunged him up.
    There are so many Eukanuba, Arden Grange, JWB, etc etc and I'm sure they all offer a variety for sensitive guts. Is there really much difference in them or is it just down to personal choice and what suits your dog. I want a good food for my dog but equally I don't want to pay through the nose just for the name.
    Any words of wisdom would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

My eldest dog has a sensitive stomach, so I give him protexin-profiber, it has done him wonders, he's been great since he's been on it, so that might be worth a try.

Maybe consider raw, obviously if something in the food is irritating his stomach, if you food raw, the irritant wont be there since he'll be getting nowt but 100% meat. Or try Orijen, no crap in that either.

My dog settled really well on skinners duck and rice and the salmon and rice. But a lot of the good foods have a sensitive range, Arden Grange, Skinners, Burns.

3. NickyO

NickyO PetForums Newbie

I've not heard of Orijen. Is it widely available? I know it's not all about money but which would you recommend as a quality food with a reasonable price tag? According to my vet on the quantities that my dog is going to need, royal canin is going to cost about £45 a month. That's a lot! I'm sure she's got her calculations wrong and telling me he needs far more than he really does!!

4. westielover65

westielover65 PetForums Junior

I would suggest James wellbeloved we also used to feed our older dogs nutro's choice but its not easy to get nowadays, we have just put our westies (6 months old) on the James wellbeloved for sensitive stomachs as one of them kept getting diarrhea and lots of smelly farts, we did do some research first and since then she has been a+ and so have all of her poos !!:thumbup:

5. westielover65

westielover65 PetForums Junior

my 2 never eat what the porducts says its always way to much

6. rona

rona Guest

I think you should find out what actually upsets your dogs stomach before settling on a food.
    Most dogs with a sensitive tum, usually do well on a fish based food

7. NickyO

NickyO PetForums Newbie

I think you're right however that's not always that easy as I'm sure you know. He's diets always the same, I don't keep chopping and changing depending on whats on offer and he doesn't really have treats. My kids have had it drilled into them too not to give him titbits. The only thing I can't always control is when we're out. As all dog lovers know there's nothing they love better than a bit of sheep, rabbit or horse poo! Obviously I jump on him straight away if I catch him, likewise sticks. Eating these are a particular favourite of his being a retriever but again I don't let him if I see him.

8. rona

rona Guest

Yes they are little scavengers aren't they? :rolleyes:
    No food will sort that out unfortunately
    This one has been recommended quite often on here
    Wafcol Adult Salmon & Potato - Large & Giant Breeds - £ 39.76 - Wafcol - Chemist Direct

9. NickyO

NickyO PetForums Newbie

Thanks Rona

10. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I don't know of any shops that stock orijen, but it's widely available online. It's about £50 per 13.5kg bag, but unless you have a massively huge dog that'll last about 2 months, if not more. Because it's such high meat content you feed very little compared to other foods, which is why it lasts longer. Do you know what weight your dog is?

James WellBeloved is by all accounts, not as good as it used to be, not since the company was bought by the same people who make pedigree, bakers etc. I'm seeing more and more reports of runny tummies, terrible gas etc from owners who feed. Mine were like that on it. But obviously it suits some dogs very well.

Vets will push whatever food they're paid to since they get a kick back for selling it, so I wouldn't put much faith in that.

Arden Grange lamb and rice is a great food and it's about £24 per 15kg bag at vet uk, I feed skinners duck and rice or salmon and rice (am currently switching to raw though) and the dogs have done wonderfully well. Vitalin also do a grain free food for about £27 a believe (one of the lamb ones, but I can't recall exactly which one right now). Stick to something hypo-allergenic and maybe give the pro-biotics a try?

11. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I feed my pair ( shelties ) on Orijen and it costs me about £3 a week to feed the pair of them. My last sheltie used to have colitis and the only foods that she could tolerate was either Burns or Robbies, I stuck with Burns as it was easy to get a hold of.

Terri

12. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

I'm with Rona on identifying the cause, but I have to say whenever i feed Ben (my lab with a dicky tummy) fish based food, it's runny poo all round :(. Everytime. Sigh!

I feed Ben James Wellbeloved and have done for 2.5 years with no problems (other than if he gets the fish based one). I have recently heard about Vitalin which is supposed to be very good - there's a thread which discusses this in part here:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/100791-food-budget.html

I definitely recommend JWB anyways :D!

13. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Having spent a good long while talking to my vet (and Arden Granges nutritionist) about Novak's sensitive stomach I was advised to try the food root before attempting to identify what it is he's sensitive too, and to put him on the protexin. It's a long and v expensive process to identify the sensitivity bloods, stool samples etc and not necessarily covered by insurance. A huge amount of money can be saved by just switching foods.

I was advised to first try a less common protein, since some dogs don't do great on chicken, so I moved to skinners duck and rice, his stomach settled right away (he'd been on arden grange puppy before),I then tried Orijen, they didn't do well on it (scavenged for England), but Novak's stomach was fine. But I switched back to skinners, now I'm moving to raw.

Not that I'm saying it wouldn't be nice to know exactly what it is that upsets his stomach, but the vet advised against it until I'd gone down the food route. If that hadn't worked, then he'd start the tests, thankfully it did.

14. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I think I"ve been through every food going finally read on here about Wafcol Salmon and Potatoe and after years of tummy troubles it worked wonders never had a sign since the day Ben started on it,worth giving it a try:)

15. Zippstar

As long as he's ok thats the only thing that matters - to be fair, we have never tried to investigate Ben's funny tummy either because as long as he's happy and healthy, then we are happy also :D! If we could afford it i would like to know so we could maybe treat it and give him a more varied diet, but as you say it can be hugely expensive and with no definite outcome in the end. Glad he's doing well - if you do try Vitalin at any point, can you let me know how you get on please (on that other thread another forum member gave me a link for a free sample but i'm a bit hesitant...as i'm sure you know, rocking the dog tummy applecart is not a pleasant experience :D)

16. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

Hope all the funny tummies get sorted soon

17. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Yeah, I would like to know but there are valid reasons not to go about finding out right now, obviously if it were to return to how it was I'd ask the vet to start tests, but right now all is, thankfully, very well :)

I'm actually in the process of moving them onto raw, they've had a part raw diet for months now (mixed free flow mince into their dry food) and have done great so I thought I'd go the whole hog. If for any reason raw doesn't suit them I'll be putting them back on Skinners. Not the best of foods ingredients wise, but as is said often on here, and it's very true, it's about finding the food that suits the dog. And they have both does great on Skinners. I use the duck and rice and salmon and rice and can't say enough good about them :)

18. Zippstar

TBH there is a lot of differing opinion about pretty much every type of dog food on the market, but as you say; what suits one dog maybe won't suit another, and the owner will decide upon the food they prefer accordingly. So my boys will always get what works for them - not that i think all foods are great quality but, for example, i fed Sparky on Tesco own dry food for 2 months before switching him to Purina and he's no worse off for it. I think with Ben, being my older dog, I will always keep his food of good quality but every dog is different at the end of the day.

19. tasha15

tasha15 PetForums Member

i have had alot of trouble with my border collie bonnies tummy upsets and have put he ron vitalin adult grain free which has prebitics in to help gut flora and have found it to be great it is reasonably priced i get a 7.5kg bag for 15 and it lasts a month and get another as it keeps fresh it also helps with joints coat ect i have found it to be really good it was reccomended to me by another instead of origen as i think it is overpriced and is high in protien have a look Adult on Vitalin Complete Pet Food

20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I second the Vitalin, its the only one they do that's cereal free and has a good meat quantity for the money.

That would always be my first choice but unfortunately my dog wasnt as keen as I was :lol:. During the puppy stage, I had chosen what I thought was the best for her and invariably struggled to get her to eat it.

When we changed to adult I looked at lots of food in my price range and dwindled it down to 3. The Vitalin, Skinners Duck and Rice and Salmon and Rice. She wouldnt touch the Duck, liked the Vitalin but struggled with the kibble (not sure if perhaps its a bit harder?) and the Salmon went down a treat so that was it.

The Vitalin is a couple of £ more than Skinners and you have to feed a bit more but definately in my opinion is the better food.

Hope you find something that works.:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice