Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food problems

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by HumpyD, Jul 5, 2009.

1. HumpyD

HumpyD PetForums Newbie

First of all, apologies that this is another "what food" thread.

Our cat Millie is now 2 years old but just doesn't seem fussed in eating. He barely eats 1 pouch a day and some dried. He seems happy enough and is certainly not underweight. We have tried practically all the high street brands (i.e. Whiskas, Felix, IAMS) and I guess the one he likes the most is IAMS. However, with practically all wet food he will simply lick the gravy off leaving the chunks alone!!

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone and if so what did they end up doing? I am more than happy to try a mail order food but don't have a clue which one. It would be lovely to feed Millie some food that he seems to enjoy!!

Thanks.

2. Coraline

Coraline PetForums Member

You'll be glad to hear there's two very simple things you can do that will most likely help a lot:

1. Stop feeding the dry food - it's bad for your cat and will cause him to gain weight and may cause diabetes, IBD, teeth problems, the list goes on..
    2. Change the wet food you're feeding to a better brand, such as Hi Life 60%. Better yet, buy one of these sample packs Raw Taster Pack [Taster] - £10.00 : Food4-Cats!, Just Food for Cats Nothing More! and you should see him tuck into his food with gusto!

There's little that brings me more joy than to see my boy tuck into his food like he really enjoys it, and since I changed him over to raw he's excited over each meal!

Good luck with yours :)

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

If the food I was given was only 4% meat I'd lick off just the gravy and walk away too. Try good quality wet food (60%+) like Hi-life, Batures Menu, Purely etc, kick the dry into touch (if you really want it use James Wellbeloved or the such like - lots less bulking agents that cats can't digest). Alternatively go the raw route - really cheap and really helathy.

4. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

My cat used to only eat the gravy off her wet food, i tried every premium brand i could think of, and as a last straw bought some sainsburys own, she loved it! It was honestly the only food i could get her to eat a whole pouch of. I think you might just need to try different brands out?

5. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

You could try the Tesco own Luxury wet food? I have recently changed from Felix to this and they love it.

It's under £4 for a box of 12 and its over 50% real chicken, much better...

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

My boy also used to lick all the gravy off and leave the meat, so I started buying him the ones in jelly and he was ok ... for a while! He's just started doing this again so am now going to feed him Hi Life and hopefully that will change!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice