UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know if this has just been coincedence or not but been feeding my young dog pro plan . i ran out of this recently and as the pet shop didnt stock it i bought some of their food to tide us over till i got to vets for another bag of pp. well the wee one had the most calmest days i have ever witnessed with her while on this . she was a total gem. do you reckon this is just a coincedence or you reckon there is something in it regards the food?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I would say it was probably the food :)
Have a look at the ingredients of both foods and see if you can see if the new food has better ingredients,less wheat,fillers etc it may also be lower in protein.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she is more crazy just after eating , thats interesting!!! ok on the pet shop food the ingredients are chicken meal , rice, maize, beet pulp. chicken fat, oats, brewers yeast, fishmeal, egg powder, linseed, fish oil , vits , minerals,glucosamine,. 30% as its a puppy food.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Salmon (23%), rice (22%), dehydrated salmon protein (15%), maize gluten, animal fat (protected with mixed tocopherols), maize, hydrolysed digest, beet pulp, purified cellulose fibre, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, minerals. Antioxidant: Tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin. May contain traces of wheat, not suitable for dogs with a wheat allergy.

EC Additive: Tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin.

This is the pro plan ingredients,for anyone else wanting to see

will try and look through and compare,once little one in bed and i can concentrate!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for taking the time to do that bear paw:thumbup::thumbup:.im confused now , can you see anthing in pp that could cause bit hyperness? does the pet shop one look fairly decent or not?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Having a brief look,i cant really see anything that would be obvious,and especially as its for sensitive tums,it doesnt really have too many nasties in it.Any ingredients i may have suspected are also in the new food! It has a very slightly higher protein level.I tend to go for lower protein foods,as my lot go bonkers on it and have awful tums too.
The other food isnt what everyone would say is the best food,but its not bad as foods go (similar to what i feed too),and if your dog is much calmer and happier on it,then theres no reason not to use it,especially if you can get it locally.Are his poos ok on it too?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
her poos are fine on pp , pet shop food and arden grange.the only prob we ever had was on jw.what food do your dogs have? i thought it should be higher protein if for pups?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Long as her poo is fine,its should be ok hun.
I use CSJ natural champ for mine,as you will see,again not the BEST food,but it was the only one my lot do well on.(yes i tried most things!)
Yes proteins are higher for pups,but after having awful problems with my two,i was told to try adult food,and they were better instantly! But thats just my awkward girls!!
Actually,some people dont bother with puppy food and go straight onto adult.
Im sure your dog will be fine on this food from the pet shop :)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Agree with bearpaw, if she calmed on it stick with the pet shop food. Some people like high protein, some don't. It all depends what the source of protein is for me, as dogs digest rice, maize, oats differently than they digest meat, they turn rice etc into glucose, hence the hyper dogs because they get spikes in blood sugar. If the protein is from a good meat source there is usually no problem (IE a food like orijen, and a raw diet).

And some dogs just don't do well on high protein.

Looks similar to Skinners ingredients wise and that has lots of fans here (including myself), so if you're happier with his behaviour and his poos are fine, if I were you, I'd keep her on the pet shops own brand.

Out of curiosity, is there a huge price difference?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i have nearly a full bag of pp to use up first.did those ingredients of pp seem ok to you? i only used the pet shops as a stop gap and noticed her calmness. you ever tried arden grange . if so how did your girls get on? you can find yourself getting really caught up in what to feed your dogs cant you.? i know its really important but then it begins to make your head spin aaaaahhhh:scared:lol x

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I think its always good to remember that the food you choose should suit your dog,it doesnt have to be whatever everyone else feeds or reccommends,as long as you are happy and your dog enjoys it and does well on it.Of course we would like to feed the best to our dogs,but even that doesnt suit some dogs!
Once you look into it properly,you almost wish you hadnt lol!!
This makes for interesting reading,scroll down the left hand index,theres loads of useful (eye opening) stuff.
The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
well i have nearly a full bag of pp to use up first.did those ingredients of pp seem ok to you? i only used the pet shops as a stop gap and noticed her calmness. you ever tried arden grange . if so how did your girls get on? you can find yourself getting really caught up in what to feed your dogs cant you.? i know its really important but then it begins to make your head spin aaaaahhhh:scared:lol x
I'm a big fan of Arden Grange too (most of my family feed their dogs their lamb and rice and all are doing fantastically), their nutritionist helped me settle Novak's sensitive tum too, even though the solution was to take him off their food as it was chicken based and she thought it best to try him on a less common protein, so recommended the Skinners duck and rice and protexin profiber. He's been great since, and currently thriving on raw. So I personally can't say enough good about Arden Grange.

Too true lol, pet food is a huge great big mine field and you could um and ah forever, there's a huge amount of info to take in and a million different foods. It's as confusing as hell lol.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I think its always good to remember that the food you choose should suit your dog,it doesnt have to be whatever everyone else feeds or reccommends,as long as you are happy and your dog enjoys it and does well on it.Of course we would like to feed the best to our dogs,but even that doesnt suit some dogs!
Very true indeed. I think it's about finding a balance, a food firstly that suits your dog, but also one that you're happy to feed and one you can actually afford.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.