UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maudey has had some on going tummy issues and these have been worse over the last few weeks and she has lost a little weight, she has had a fecal sample done and it showed a slightly higher growth of Clostridium but nothing major so the Vet wants her to have a course of metronidazole as a precaution and to look at her food with a possibility of trying a Allergenic Diet they one they recommend is the dry Royal Canin, but I am not happy with her being on dry only and do not want to be adding hot water to it as the Vet suggests, and I do not want to feed her the Hills z/d as it's like plasticine and I wouldn't fed it to my worse enemy.

So suggestions please as I know Zooplus sell some with single protein sources but I get confused with whats complete and whats not :eek: I also cannot feed a raw diet before people suggest that even though I know it's best :eek: She is currently on Royal Canin sensitive and she is having a few on the RC sensible biscuits too because she is a dry junkie even though I have tried my best to stop them :eek:

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Oh no, poor Maudey. Has the vet also suggested giving her some probiotics to help her gut along to create a better gut flora? I swear by protexin enterogenic powder. If you don't have them already I could send you a couple of sachets to try.

Anyhow, re the food. If you want to go down the single protein food, then there really is only Grau with grains (not sure how she is with grains or indeed pate food). You could, of course, also order some horsemeat off zooplus.de.

Zooplus also stock some other brands that make "hypoallergenic" food, such as Kattovit. How palatable they are, I don't know.

I have a few single protein food in the house that I could send you to try if you like. I have a couple of sachets of CatzFineFood that are "poultry", not sure whether that helps. And I have two brands that do a beef and beef liver food if you think she likes beef or beef agrees with her.

Have you got any idea what is setting her off?

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Grau do Mutton & Spelt in cans, the only single protein they do. Spelt is an older type of wheat which may be more digestible to some cats.

Zooplus.com (not co.uk) sells Hermanns Horsemeat for cats and dogs. It is only a supplementary food, so could not be fed long-term as the main part of the diet, but good for short term use, as a basis for starting an elimination diet.

Herrmanns Organic Dog Food at zooplus: Herrmanns Horse Meat Supplementary Food

I give my cat Feline Fayre Chicken sometimes, it is a single protein, and he tolerates it well, but again it is a supplementary food.

Edit: just read Hobbs post, and am reminded that Grau do single protein with rice, sorry! ;)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have those sachets and have tried the Dorwest tree bark and diarsynal, she has shown slight improvement on the diarsynal but nothing else.

She has never been good and has always been on the soft side but I have never particularly worried about it as the vet knew and seemed unconcerned but she has been bad for the past few weeks, I starved her for 24 hours and then put her on plain boiled cod which she ate straight after being starved but then refused a few hours later even though she was starving and it had just been cooked so I swapped to fresh boiled chicken (3 days) this appeared to make her worse, so I tried her on seared venison (3 days) she firmed up slightly but not a lot and now she's back on the sensitive with diarsynl and is still not great, I think myself that it's more an issue with chicken and that she has become more sensitive to it, but she is a pernickety fussy little so and so, I may order some Grau and see how she goes on it, I am just so confuddled at the moment.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I have those sachets and have tried the Dorwest tree bark and diarsynal, she has shown slight improvement on the diarsynal but nothing else.

She has never been good and has always been on the soft side but I have never particularly worried about it as the vet knew and seemed unconcerned but she has been bad for the past few weeks, I starved her for 24 hours and then put her on plain boiled cod which she ate straight after being starved but then refused a few hours later even though she was starving and it had just been cooked so I swapped to fresh boiled chicken (3 days) this appeared to make her worse, so I tried her on seared venison (3 days) she firmed up slightly but not a lot and now she's back on the sensitive with diarsynl and is still not great, I think myself that it's more an issue with chicken and that she has become more sensitive to it, but she is a pernickety fussy little so and so, I may order some Grau and see how she goes on it, I am just so confuddled at the moment.
Stomach issues are notoriously difficult to get a handle on, though. IF you think it is a dietary issue then perhaps going down the horsemeat route for a while would make sense? Lamb is a good one in our house to settle stomachs.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a plan I think, I shall stick with whats she on whilst she on the antibiotics and for a few weeks after as then I should know if it was the clostridium causing the problem or the food, if she doesn't improve then I shall try the Grau Lamb wholegrain as see how we go.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I have a plan I think, I shall stick with whats she on whilst she on the antibiotics and for a few weeks after as then I should know if it was the clostridium causing the problem or the food, if she doesn't improve then I shall try the Grau Lamb wholegrain as see how we go.
Sounds like a good plan. As you say, if you change food now you don't know what caused it. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.