Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food for weight gain

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by xxSaffronxx, May 24, 2010.

1. xxSaffronxx

xxSaffronxx PetForums VIP

Anyone know the most effective food or recipe to help weight gain?
    I have tried Hills a/d but she doesnt seem to like it

2. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

YouR cat may have a thyroid problem. A simple blood test from a vet can tell you for sure. But if he truly looks bony looking and seems hyperactive, those two things together are typical symptoms of an overactive thyroid which can be easily fixed with medication. If it is an older cat, say 7 and up then that increases the chances it is thyroid related.
    OR since the cat is outdoors, he may have contracted one of the many feline viruses out there, if he is not fully immunized. Bottom line you need a blood test. Feeding 'junk food" is NOT a good idea. You can try some calorie dense gels, usually sold next to the hairball remedy and see if that helps.

3. xxSaffronxx

hiya
    she doesnt have a thyroid problem - she has not long had a litter of kittens and therefore needs help gaining weight.
    She is no longer feeding them
    And she doesnt go out

4. Tje

Tje Banned

I foster queens and their litters, and I don’t really change their food after the kittens are weaned (they’re generally already on a good high protein diet anyway) . I always leave some Royal Canin kitten biscuits out for the queens to free feed on in-between meals … and try to feed them high protein wet food as often as possible in a day. If I have time in a day for 5 or 6 portions of wet food for skinny queens then that’s what I do (but I’d aim for a minimal of 4 wet feeds a day - of good quality high protein foods). Small portions given often, work better than bigger portions twice a day. (well when it comes to gaining weight)

5. xxSaffronxx

I do all of that - but still she needs a boost.
    She will eat a bit of wet food but then walks off - i personally dont think she eats enough of the wet

6. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

She probably won't eat the wet if she's got dry whenever she needs it. Personally I'd take the dry away and give her some high quality wet food.

7. xxSaffronxx

Hmmm its kinda hard to do that because all the others have the dry down as well. Dont really want to isolate her.
    Will try mixing it with tuna / pilchards or something to tempt her

8. Tje

Tje Banned

Yep that’s exactly what I would do (remove the dry so she concentrates on the better –higher protein- wet food)

and if she’s still not eating enough and still looking too scrawny, then I would take her to the vet to get her checked over.

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Scrambled eggs :D

I read somewhere that they are excellent for Queens who are still feeding or stopping. I have tried it with my girl the last 4 days (her kits are 3 weeks tomorrow), I mixed 1/4 tin of tuna in. She absolutely loves it, and I have to say she definately looks like she is bulking up better. She wasn't skinny by any means, but I wanted her to gain just a bit more ... seems to be working!

Not only that but Rilly has never gone as crazy as this for any food up until now. She goes into melt down when she sees my hubby walk in with 'her' plate of eggs and tuna :lol:

10. xxSaffronxx

excellent thanks - she definately likes scrambled egg because she scoffs it when i make it for the kittens

11. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Hmmm, I'm having trouble weaning some 7 week old kittens so I just might try the scrambled egg approach :)

12. xxSaffronxx

Have you got the Glop recipe? I use it all the time

13. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Glop :confused: Going on Google now :)

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Elmstar, I have posted this on a different thread but one should really only feed 1 egg once a week, twice at the very most.

Although it is a great treat, this is because egg yolk contains a lot of Vitamin A, which is stored in the liver. Those who feed raw need to reduce the amount of liver they feed if they also feed eggs. Finally, one should not feed egg white raw (egg yolk is fine) as it contains an enzyme that prevents from biotin to be absorbed.

#14 hobbs2004, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

In the days before available Hills, Iams etc were available we would cook chicken joints with rice to help put weight on. The fat from the chicken soaks into the rice during cooking and they do scoff the lot :) Roast chicken including skin and fat is also a good one.

Otherwise, I would recommend feeding raw - perhaps try with some Prize Choice minces if you're not sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice