Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food for Dog recovering from surgery and now with Short Bowel Syndrome

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sean1604, Oct 11, 2018.

1. sean1604

sean1604 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, first post and looking for some advice!

My 6 year old collie cross terrier recently had to undergo two separate operations which culminated in the vets having to remove around 50% of his small intestine.

He is now over a month removed from surgery and has put back on a good bit of weight and is back to his normal self. Well almost. He is now suffering from short bowel syndrome which is causing mainly runny diarrhoea. He has the occasional semi solid stool but most of the time not and it always smells really bad.

He was at the vet again yesterday and I was given some B12 sachets to incorporate along with some new food. I had been feeding him Naturo wet food after the surgery which is around £1 per tub and he needs two a day. The vet has give me some Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Gastrointestinal for him. This however is £28 for 12 cans and he needs two a day! I wouldn't be able to keep that going in the long term and wondered if anywone here has any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

If he's otherwise fine on the Naturo (the trays??), Forthglade and Wainwrights are relatively similar and come in bulk packs, which work out a lot cheaper.
    Wainwrights is £19.99 for 24 trays and is often on different offers making it cheaper, though that's the variety with rice. The grain free one more expensive.

Different kind of wet food, but my guys really enjoy Rocco. It's 70% meat (remembering off the top of my head, close to that anyways) so should hopefully be ok on his poor tum.
    I get the bulk packs of it which works out pretty cost effective at 24x 800g (so he'd only need one per day, in theory) for just under £30
    I use Step Up for my gang as well which works out a similar price (24x 400g tins for £17 usually, but theres an offer on at the mo so it's cheaper!), but is quite rice heavy. I don't know how his shortened bowel effects his digestion of things like that

Butchers is another one that's not massively expensive without being terrible, might be worth a look :)

PaulWhite likes this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

You can get 20% off direct from Naturo on orders over £40 I think too, if that's any use :)
    Let me go dig out the code in my emails

Edit:
    AWARD20
    But it ends tomorrow!

4. sean1604

Hi bluejay! Thanks for the response.
    It was on the naturo that his poo, for the most part, hasn't been great. Aside from that though he's been good. Trying to get his poo firmed up so trying this Purina food as above, only started today. Going to try it for a week with the b12 and see if it improves. If it does I'll then switch back to naturo with the b12 and if it's still good then hopefully it's just the b12 he needs and not the really expensive food!
    I'll keep the above in mind though for future :)

5. sean1604

6. sean1604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice