Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food for cats with megacolon

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kuzca&Nessie, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Kuzca&Nessie

Kuzca&Nessie PetForums Newbie

I have a cat with 2 years. She is spayed.
    Has intestinal problems: megacolon. She did a treatment with lactulose. I've also mixed meal in feed. The situation improved dramatically. I also have to give a diet grain free and low carbohydrate to avoid the formation of gases. :blushing:

I tried Orijen and Acana but she does not appreciated... eat but without enthusiasm...

Someone suggests another brand? applaws? the stool must remain soft ...

Thanks!

... sorry about my English... is not the best ...

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Sorry no experience, hope someone can offer some thoughts :)

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

generally i wouldn't say this but have you tried Iams? Normally it's not good but for those with intestinal problems tend to do quite well on it.

also check out:

Megacolon

-longterm home care section near the bottom.

make sure your cat has access to water all the time too.

4. Kuzca&Nessie

Hi!
    Thank you for the suggestion!
    That's a veterinary formula and I have to look at the clinics...

My two cats have always fresh (and filtered) water available. They like to get their paws into the bowl, so ...the water is changed several times a day ...

Best regards,

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

you could try them with normal iams, we feed Neeps that (she possibly has megacolon but the vet hasn't decided yet) and she does SOOO much betteron it!

usually she gets a super distended belly, is grumpy, has a stinky bum, burps a few times and hates my husband.. but with iams normal sachets she's been much better, even after eating a whole sachet in one go she didn't have a massive tummy afterwards and didnt' stink all night! and she decided that husbands lap was comfier than mine for about 20 mins lol.

try kitty on that first and see if it makes a difference, try adding in fibre and the other things that the website suggests, if that doen't work then try the prescription one.

we have a bowl all day too, butneeps insists on drinking from the tap when i'm in the bathroom. lol eediot cat.

6. tibbythecat

tibbythecat PetForums Junior

Hi there
    My cat Dizzy was diagnosed with megacolon last year.

We have controlled this using Miralax (power odourless & tasteless - much easier than lactulose to administer. We also stopped ALL the dry food and switched to a wet food diet. We opted for the low residue diet so aim for the fibre content to be under 1.5%

If you take a look at Hobb's wet food advice then this will give you ideas of what it good food. I strongely suggest its all wet food you give.

This link may be useful
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/108248-miralax-constipation.html

Any questions just ask xxx

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

we have now tried different advice after 14 years of nothing working it has really changed his life, I think it maybe helpful as alot of food/info can be wrong on this illness.

Ill PM everyone! :)

#7 Taylorbaby, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Why take it to PM TB? Why not post what you have learnt here?

Tibbicat, why don't you post the link to the yahoo group up that I suggested you join when your cat was first diagnosed? There is little they don't know or aren't willing to find out?

In terms of food, my preference would be a wet food. In terms of increased fibre, well that is where there are two camps when it comes to dealing with a cat with megacolon. One camp suggests that the fibre needs to be increased to help expel the food, while another camp goes the other way and suggests that you should be trying to create as little poop as possible (i.e. ideally feed raw).

But I don't think there is one way that works for every cat unfortunately.

9. Kuzca&Nessie

Hello!
    I think there is much conflicting information about proper nutrition for cats with megacolon.

A member of the Pet Forum, said to try 'Iams ® Veterinary Formula Intestinal Low-Residue ™ / Feline', but unfortunately is not commercialized in Portugal ...

I usually buy all the food at zooplus because it is much cheaper (you know the condition of my country, right?:crying:) and they have: Orijen, Acana, Hill's (including veterinary formulas), Royal Canin and others ...

I do not like RC because it has a lot of carbohydrates and grains (not required for carnivores) that contribute to the formation of intestinal gas and obesity. But the cats love it because it has many flavor enhancers ...

So, after much searching, I guess it depends on the metabolism of the cat and the initial cause that caused megacolon. Some they react better to the dry food, others, wet food.

I'll find a food that works ... and what she likes ...

Thanks for all contributions!

#9 Kuzca&Nessie, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. Kuzca&Nessie

You're right. But luckily, the treatment with lactulose and extra fiber in food, has resulted in the diminution of the diameter the colon for half in one month.

11. tibbythecat

tibbythecat PetForums Junior

12. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Yeah maybe you can help others who may read this. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice