Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

food for cats and kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by suzie_1983, Jul 5, 2009.

1. suzie_1983

suzie_1983 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Please help, is there a food out there that i can use for my cats and kitten. i have 2 cats that are 18 months old and i also have a 14 week old ragdoll.

please help i need some advice:

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

kittens can eat adult food. the only diff really is the kitten food has smaller pieces. or, just feed them seperate

3. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Kitten food has alot more nutrients in it than adult which they need when they are young.

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Depends what brand you feed them really - I did a exposee on here about felix and the adult actually had more vits and more of them than the kitten and the kitten had a lower meat content. If you feed dry then the smaller kibble is better, if you feed wet high quality food (Hi-life, Purely, Natures Menu) then I PERSONALLY believe you don't need kitten food, I don't feed it and my kittens are thriving. If you feed low quality wet food then MAYBE you need to feed kitten food but check all the labels, if yo feed raw then they get the same as adults. PERSONALLY I believe that kitten food is a gimick and as I have said many times before on here food in the wild isn't stamped with 'kitten' or 'adult' or 'senior'; nor was kitten food around 20-30 years ago. If you want to feed kitten food by all means do, if you don't want the adults to eat it feed separately. GO with what makes you happy.

Dozymoo likes this.
  5. suzie_1983

suzie_1983 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for the advice. its a lot of help xx

6. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Thats really good to know.....I have a new kitten coming soon and wondered how I would feed her separate to the others. I intend to feed them all raw though so I guess it will be ok

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

blimey, i wouldnt give adult food to any of my kittens..but thats me personally..my pregnant girls have kitten food too...again my personal choice..:D

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My kittens eat raw mainly (and some adult Hi-life, Purely, Natures Menu and Applaws) - it's easy, good for them and so cheap! At the moment 1 adult, 1/2 an adult (Minnii won't convert completely), and 2 kittens are going through 200g a day - that's between 20 and 40p A DAY for all of them! Bobby Bargain!!!

I don't give any food that is less than 50% meat (my personal choice) and that's why I don't feed kitten food (except a little JWB dry - in case their new owners want to feed dry) cos I really feel and beleive I don't need to.

9. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Ah......well, I kind have made a rod for my own back when it comes to raw feeding as I started mine off on the co-ops free range chicken and aberdeen angus mince!! :eek: :blushing: :blushing:

They of course loved it and now wont eat anything else.....i get them lamb chops as well!! oh dear!

I've tried all kinds of minced raw but they just look at it like it was something they vomited up! So it costs me a bloody fortune to feed mine raw but their worth it lol!

10. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

I personally think kitten food is a good idea for the first 4-6 months, after that i would just put them on Adult! Its a personal choice, and best to see what suits you best! Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice