Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food allergy to Pedigree Senior?? - new user, apologies if discussed before!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ktw, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ktw

ktw PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I will try and keep it brief as I am new to this forum and this may have been posted before! :blushing:

My question is regarding Pedigree Senior tinned food - has anyone else experienced the onset of allegies since the brand was re-labelled as a "new recipe"? Or even before that? A year ago, my nan's little King Charles moved in with me, she is very elderly with a significant heart problem but despite this is quite a spritely little lady, who appears otherwise healthy. She was being fed Pedigree Senior tins (and had been for some years) so I decided to not interfere and she continued to be fine! Our other dogs are fed a working mix anyway. It may be a coincidence, but since the re-brand, she started to suffer with bouts of colitis. We ruled out all other possibilities with the vets, and settled on food allergy - so she has been switched to Royal Canin sensitivity diet and seems fine.

Now, on the other side of the country, my mum is reporting very similar problems with her elderly labrador - who is fed Pedigree Senior (and also has had it for some years). Seems to me as though she is suffering from the same thing - she has had a few trips to the vets who have ruled out tumours and most other illnesses.

Has anyone else experienced similar with this brand? Or any other?!!

Trouble is, the lab has a tendancy to out on weight very easily :eek: and its a struggle to find a diet which is both low in calories and allergy control!

Any experiences, advice or ideas would be much appreciated! May be a huge coincidence, but I find it peculiar!

Many thanks in advance!! :D

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

pedigree food is just a load of rubbish anyway.

i would give naturediet a go if the dogs are used to wet meal. its a very good food and there is a senior version of it. i can tell you that a huge percentage of the forum members on here swear by it. :p

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ducky beat me too it :D

Ditch the chum and try ND.

4. ktw

ktw PetForums Newbie

:p I know, I dont like using chum, but like I said - I was thinking "if it isn't broken, dont fix it!!"

Have fixed the one (she is fine now - her other problem is lack of teeth, she only has two canines and her front incisors left :eek:) is ND food all dry?

This might be the way to go with mum's lab though - her only problem will be weight gain if not careful!

Thanks both! :wink5:

5. ktw

ktw PetForums Newbie

Sorry! I forgot you said it was wet food!

6. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

yeah its all wet.

should be fine for the lab, as i say there is a senior and light version which should stop her from gaining weight. plus as its better quality than the chum, she might actually lose any excess that she might currently be carrying. :)

7. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Maybe give the advice line a call

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice