Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food Aggression.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, May 2, 2011.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Anyone deal with this with their own cat?

My cats are free fed which has always worked well with them but we noticed early on that if Horris felt threated by another cat (seeing them through the window) he would try and eat the whole bowl (We would remove to bowl until he calmed down)

But apparently he went for my mom this morning. She was feeding Sophie and he was trying to get into her food bowl

Was just wondering if anyone dealt with a highly food obessed cat?

2. Miss.PuddyCat

No one?

Im gonna keep bumping this.

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

blimey calm down, its 2am, no one is normally around! will have to wait till later!

4. Miss.PuddyCat

Yeh Sorry I forgot :eek:

Its just worrying you know, hate seeing any of my babes upset :(

5. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Sorry, just read post but have never encountered anything like this - sorry. Hope someone pops in soon that can help

6. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

My old baby bear Maverick was food aggressive, he was the softest cat you'd come accross, pleasure to give a pill to, let the kids carry him round and dress him up and allsorts!

But when food came out he was like jekyl and hyde! Someone tried to steal him once by bringing some chicken (I was sat in the front room, quietly smiling as knew what was about to happen and thinking "serves em right!") as soon as the first bit of chicken came out he almost had this womans arm off! - she dropped the rest of the chicken and backed off stunned, Maverick hoovered up the chicken growling loudly and when finished approached her thinking she'd got more and she literally ran away!! :lol:

He used to growl very loudly eating EVERY meal, didn't matter if he was the only one in the room! We put it down to the fact that he was the runt of the litter and so had to fight to get to mum to feed.

I'm afraid I dont really have any advice as he did it to the day he left us :(

Although we did have to watch his weight as when we moved to a nice quiet cul de sac with elderly neighbours, they all thought he was a stray and were feeding him as he always seemed starving! So had to explain to everyone to stop feeding as he'd become obese :eek:

We just made sure we feed him first with a little distance between his bowl and the others and left him alone while eating really.

7. Miss.PuddyCat

Horris has never growled while eating or at least Ive not heard him.

Our vet put it down to the fact Horris as an outdoor tom cat for 3 years and that he probably had to fend his food from other cats and therefore feels threatened when he sees an unknown cat and dives for the food thinking there gonna come and eat it or at least that seems to be the best reason.

I was just worried as I know how nasty and Aggressive Horris can get. He has gone for my face (and my mom had done what I did and tried to pick him up) only she was trying to get him away from Sophies food bowl. (I was picking him up cause he had gotten outside, left me with a long cut below my eye)

I have been afraid of Horris at times but he can be such a lovely bed snuggle bug too.

I have to try clipping his nails as Im afraid one of these swipes for Sophie will be with his claws (so far he just bats her) but that is a battle with him as well.

Sometimes hes fine when clipping his nails others it sounds like your trying to kill him.

Thanks for your post :) good to know I dont have the only food orientated cat either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice