Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food Aggression

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by keeleyjane19, May 19, 2010.

1. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Have any of your dogs had this behavioural problem?

My dogs have never had this, I always used the "give and takeaway" method. So that my dogs understand that the human hand is a good thing rather than a bad and is there to give and not take.

However, I know they can develop this when they are adults, more fear related or protective.

I believe that if they develop this behavioural problem at a later stage the approach must be steady, patient and calm.

Maybe scattering the food? Feeding in a different place? Putting the food in hard wearing toys? Hand feeding to associate the human hand with good things?

I have been thinking about this alot as I have a young baby and when he is crawling around I know he could put his hand in the way of one of my dogs when they are eating. although I will try my damn hardest to not have him near the dogs when they are eating their food, but it could be at anytime, when they are eating a chew or a bone.

The change can be so sudden aswell, a dog being calm, good, friendly with food could turn if they feel at all threatened.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this and how you over came it, preferably in a older dog?

I have put into practise the "giving and takeaway" approach and has been very successful, especially with the greyhound whom I didn't own from a puppy, she accepts the human hand is there to give and if I take away her food she would get something tastier, smellier and nicer as a reward.

Sorry about the essay, this just intrigues me!! xx

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Are your dogs crate trained... I would put my dogs in crates whilst eating with a baby around just to prevent such an occurance. x

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I have extra tall baby gates set up, so when eating, my terrier eats in the kitchen and my greyhound eats in the utility room. My puppy eats in her crate.

I was more just an enquiry to see whether anyone has experience food aggression with their dogs, I am aware how to try a prevent it with my dogs, but just got me thinking since having Jake how quickly they could turn if they were prevoked.

Thanks x

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Can't say my dogs have ever had problems with food. Norris & Sumo coming from places where they needed to fight for what little they got were abit grabby and panic eaters initially but they soon learnt from the pack!! All my dogs will allow me to remove food from their mouths, Tiz can be snappy if other dogs get in her face while eating but otherwise they can and do swap and share bowls!!

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Aww, how is Norris? How long have you had him now?? xx

6. leashedForLife

i agree, keeping the baby away from the dog is far more helpful...
    all the training in the world will not avail, if the child approaches the dog on a bad day.

triggers MULTIPLY they do not add -
    so a day when the dog has been stuck indoors cuz its raining, AND the baby is crying cuz Baby is teething, AND the mother is cranky cuz Mum got poor sleep, AND the other dog/child is running around maniacally due to inadequate exercise...
    and THEN the baby crawls over and shoves her/his head in the dogs bowl...
    too many things have happened, and no one IMO can legitimately expect that sheer frustration will not overthrow manners.

to say nothing of the fact that many ppl have ways of supposedly TRAINING dogs to tolerate interruption + interference,
    that are actually nothing but elaborate teasing - and while the dog might suck it up and take it from an adult,
    there is no reason in the dogs mind to accept such high-handed rudeness from a human-puppy.

U can CRATE the dog with their food / chewie;
    U can TETHER the dog with their precious;
    U can BABY-GATE the child from the dog, and vice-versa
    U can TETHER the child away from the dog :001_tt1: with a baby-gate between them, so that Baby cannot open the gate,
    and Fido / Fidela cannot walk into the room carrying their trophy
    U can CLOSE The Door on the room where the dog is eating / gnawing, and LATCH it so that older kids cannot open it
    without a ladder ;)

safety first, last and always... :thumbup:
    --- terry

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Offically..about 3 weeks!!:lol: He's fab, such a bright little man!!! He's learning so fast and extreamly easy to train!! I'm falling madly in love with him, and interestingly seeing alot of Sidney's traits in him so think it's the Bedlington connection that makes them similar! He's finally put some weight on so doesn't look like a charity case and most of the scabby bits are growing back hair. Thanks for asking.
    :thumbup:

8. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Yes true, but I would walk them if its raining!! I walk them in any weather lol! Back to the point..
    I like my dogs to have some boundaries which I why I train before an unlikely event like that takes place.
    Great scenario you have set up, but I feel that training is necessary. I know it cannot completely guarantee that the dog won't get aggressive over food but it can somewhat help if the dog is aware that the human hand is a great thing not a bad.

xx

9. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Aww yay, glad he is doing really well!! And getting along with Sidney!! Thats great he is putting on weight! I remember when you posted and thread saying how underweight he was.

Yay! Good news on the pet forums!!

xxx

10. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

so far i have never had any food aggression problems with my dogs. Yet. Dante is now 10 years old and so far so good with him. Although Mika however is still a baby, like a year old so don't know how he'll pan out but i don't think we'll get problems from him.

11. leashedForLife

oh, yes! :)
    i definitely teach that hands are good - but i do not stir the dogs food while the animal is trying to eat; i come by and drop a tasty tidbit just out of reach, so they leave the bowl momentarily - and i do not HOVER there, i drop and keep going.

i raise the bar as the dog/pup gets comfy; when they SEE me coming + lift their head with a smile, we are really getting there! :thumbup:
    then i can cue the dog to step-away, and add to the bowl by dropping it in... E-Z. at that point i can cue the dog away, DROP the tidbit for the dogs nice compliance, and if need be, lift the bowl to add their meds, etc.

but i don;t just take their bowl for the point of proving i can - that IMO is insufferably rude. :eek: heavens... :p
    and i NEVER rely only on training to keep a child (or eejit adult :rolleyes: ) safe when the dog is eating a meal, gnawing a bone, etc.

dogs deserve their privacy and have a right not to be hassled while eating, sleeping, tending pups, and so on. ;) its good manners,
    IMO, to leave them in peace if at all possible.

cheers,
    --- terry

12. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

You wouldn't happen to be a trainer? I have read many or your responses and they are always informative and knowledgeable!!

I'm training to be a trainer, and have done lots of research!!

xxx

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think its better to practice careful management with little kids and dogs rather then rely on training. Toddlers dont follow the rules you will set out and need protecting from themselves. Even a well behaved kid could trip near where the dog is eating and try to save themselves by grabbing a tail or leg.
    My 3 are fine. I had 'the conversation' with Adam and Hannah when they were puppies regarding who is boss and gets to take the food but Heidi never was never a guarder with people. I still wouldnt trust them with food and a kid nearby coz Id worry about accidents.

14. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Kira is 15 months, and food agressive. Through fear more than anything else I think, as she started getting funny after she got food stuck in her throat and I had to retrieve it.

We're working on it, slowly, she's now fine if I start mealtimes by holding her food (shes fed raw), but if I just put her food on the floor I cant then take it away or put my hands near it.

TBH tho, while I am trying to work on it, its not a big issue. If its not her actual dinners, but something like a rawhide or a toy, I can take it away no problems, it is literally only with her dinner (and she will warn dogs she doesnt know away fron high value treats).

Why should I need to take her dinner away?? Im her provider and protecter, I cant give her some food then change my mind, I'd be well pi**ed off if my mum done that to me when I was a kid :lol:

And when I have children, ALL the dogs, food aggro or not will be fed away from the kids, either in the garden, behind a closed door or crated :thumbup:

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I did and I solved it :)

16. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Yeah you are right, best to keep dogs away from children when eating to prevent an attack, but I feel training is also important, although it doesn't prevent an attack, it helps the dog feel good about the human hand

xx

17. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I had an issue with Oscar. WARNING he was absolutely fine with me has never so much as growled in my direction over food but he has gone for both my children where food has been involved.

VERY steep learning curve, luckily he was young and it's all sorted but it doesn't matter how much training you do YOU cannot train a relationship between your dog and your child they have to develop that themselves and with babies there is zilch you can do about it until at the very earliest age 2 (for the child) because to solve it you have to train the children more than the dog.

Babies can't feed the dog, drop random treats in his bowl etc etc and the dog might trust you 100% but not the baby which is why vigilance is the only answer and dogs should not have high value objects when they are around young children ;)

18. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Fair point!!

I'm being very wary with the dogs, as much as I trust them, I wouldn't trust them with my son xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice