Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food advice.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Kittenfostermummy, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Normally I buy my food from rat rations for my mice and hamster. I buy a couple of the everyday mixes and then sometimes add a few extra bits to it.

My question is is there any decent foods that are suitable for both mice and hamsters (so possibly the rat food selections) on zooplus as I need to get some more food but the P&P is crippling me from RR!!!

Are any of the JR Farm Feasts for Rats good??

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

3. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

I have fed rat food since I have had both mice and hamsters as they are omnivores like rats and the rat food generally have more variety.

I did research into this quite a lot before getting the pets but correct me please if I am wrong in doing this.

4. emma20

emma20 PetForums VIP

I mix my own up for the mice and just feed beaphar dwarf hamster food for the hamsters, I get everything off amazon on free super saver delivery, you should find everything on there for good value

RowdyRabbit likes this.
  5. evel-lin

evel-lin PetForums VIP

I mix various commercial mixes together for my hamsters. Figured the mixes are already balanced but having different ones gives the hamsters a bit more variety. I mostly use Harry Hamster for my syrians and Burgess Dwarf for dwarfs but also add in others like JR :)

RowdyRabbit likes this.
  6. RowdyRabbit

RowdyRabbit Pet keeper, pet fanatic & all round pet lover

Personally, I feed Bobo (my Syrian) Harry Hamster as it contains a great mix of nutrients and is available at almost all pet stores at a "not so bad" price. If you have a bit more money to spend, Science Selective is also another good hamster mix. They are both made by Supreme so I trust them and are also both recommended by experienced YouTuber Choolatecolors26..
    I've never heard of feeding hamsters rat food before but it kind of makes sense. Whether rats and hamsters have the same nutritional requirements, I do not know - but it seems safer and easier just to stick to food designed for your animal. Mixing various foods is also another way of achieving a great mix of everything your pet needs.
    Anyway, good luck at finding your perfect mix! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice