Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Gosza, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I took my 9 weeks old yesterday for first jab and second round of deworming. A bit of background: first time I took him last week he got dewormer and probiotics as his poop was very, very runny. Since then it started firming up and holding shape but it is still quite soft and also according to vet on our second visit it’s quite big amount for my kitten. he’s pretty small, according to vet he wasn’t weaned properly and wasn’t fed properly before I got him (I was told I he was on whiskas kitten food), I’ve managed to transition him to wet wild freedom for kitten (chicken&rabbit, chicken&veal) which from what I read is a good kitten food, he loves it, eats really well. I don’t feed him any dry food and really don’t want to start but vet said I should try giving him royal canin kitten dry food, she was very insistent that this is good thing and amount of times she said “royal canin” made me feel like she’s really pushing this particular one for whatever reason. I was really astonished as this particular one is not even grain free, has gluten... she said amount of poop my kitten does means he’s not digesting wet food very well, but I don’t know how food with grain and gluten will be digested better. I’ve talked to a friend who has a cat too and she said it took good while for her cat to firm up his poop after transitioning him into good cat food. So I’m basically looking for some advice from experienced cat owners who have some knowledge about nutrition, what’s the best way forward nutrition wise for my kitten? Price is not really an issue because I really want to ensure he has what’s the best for him. What’s your take on Royal Canin dry food? Honestly that’s last thing I want to do, I feel in my gut it’s not good... maybe I should try different wet food? Is there something you would recommend? I was looking into ready BARF mixes from natural instinct and purrform, is that any better specially in this particular situation with his poop being not completely solid.
    Thank you in advance for any advice and mentoring, it’s highly appreciated!

2. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

I’m no expert but royal canin is total crap... no idea why your vet is pushing that!

3. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

When we adopted our rescue cats at Xmas I took them to the vets for jabs and being a complete novice with cats and believing the vets I was sold a big bag of royal canine also, now I know better ours are fed 90% raw and wet food and only have a tiny amount of dry for playtime.

4. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

I forgot to say I think the vets must be on commission

5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If your kitten likes chicken, I would feed him just that for a few days. It will be gentle on his gut. I used to wean my kittens on chicken while they were still feeding from their mother. Nine weeks old is quite young to be adjusted to a 'normal' diet. Quite a few kittens will go through a runny poo stage while they are weaning and a breeder will be used to dealing with it. Kittens that are homed early often go through this stage at their new home but as long as you keep his diet bland and don't rush the process by adding too many foods he should firm up soon.

Jackie C likes this.
  6. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

He doesnt really like boiled chicken, I’ve tried it last week when he’s poop was very runny he wasn’t keen on it at all. I’m thinking to stick to one kind of wet food of one flavour for some time and watch him, today’s poop was the firmest ive seen today. Do you think sticking to one brand of kitten food in one flavour will be okay for now? Just to give him time to settle with before introducing anything new?

thanks all for replay! Maybe my vet has some sort of agreement with royal canin too! It felt weird that she pushed it so much and only this particular one

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@Gosza if your cat doesn't like chicken, have you tried white fish? All supermarkets do own brand bags of frozen white fish fillets, usually pollock. Very gentle on the stomach.

Rachey and Jackie C like this.
  8. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I never feed my cats boiled chicken. They like it much better if it has more taste, so it is best to cook it covered in a small amount of water in the oven or a slow cooker and feed the resulting jelly with the meat. As @SbanR says white fish is another bland option.

Alternatively you could mix chicken with a small amount of the food they ae already having.

Jackie C and SbanR like this.
  9. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Simmer the fish gently in a little water or, if you have a microwave oven, cook on high in short bursts. The fish should be done in about 2 mins.
    Feed the water its cooked in along with the meat.

Jackie C likes this.
  11. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

You are absolutely right in trusting your instinct, Gosza. All and any dry food is bad for cats over the long-term. It can cause chronic dehydration and can be bad for the kidneys and bladder. Also, if you kitten has loose stools, dry food will just make him more dehydrated. Cats don't have a strong thirst drive, and derive most of the moisture they need from their prey, which is wet. They don't need grains or vegetables as they are obligate carnivores, but most cat foods, even the wet ones have grain and vegetables. However, ANY wet food is better than even the supposed "best", grain-free dry food. Dry food is also very addictive as it stinks and cats seem to love it!
    I can't understand why vets advocate with such vigour these crap dry kibble!
    The fish is a good idea, it's light on his tummy. If you do try him with plain boiled chicken again, and he's not keen, he might like the broth that goes with it. The watery broth, whilst not perfect, does have some nutrition, and will stop him feeling thirsty. It's obviously not good over the long-term as it's not food as such, he might like it.

He is a little bit too young to be away from his mum, as it's recommended 12 weeks now. Don't feel bad, though, most people don't realise.

12. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

@Jackie C i know 8 weeks is a tad early but I thought if i won’t take him he’ll go to someone else anyway and I knew that I at least will do my best to take good care of him, make sure he’s healthy, won’t feed him crap and so on. I’ve read a lot about not feeding cats dry food so I was shocked when vet was so insistent on it! I knew from start that I want to get him high quality wet food only that’s why I was looking for advice here because what vet has said was a contradiction to everything I read so far @SbanR ive cooked him some fish as you said he nibbled on it and then sat down next to cupboard where I keep his food and started meowing... bless him, he figured out where his food is really quick. I must say that also his today’s poops were so much better and it seems like he’s going down with amount of times when he poops (it was a lot initially 6-7 times we are down to 3) so fingers crossed we’re heading in good direction!
    thanks everyone for help!

Jackie C and SbanR like this.
  13. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I'm glad things seem better with him. They very quickly do suss out where their food is, don't they? Cats are very smart, manipulative creatures, so they sit next to the spot, looking VERY cute, so you can't resist and give in.

14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

So glad you won't listen to the vet regarding diet. Pushing garbage kibble seems to be the thing vets do best. Since they don't know anything about feline nutrition it's be better for everyone if they'd just not advise on diet at all.

Your kitten is probably younger than 8 weeks. Which would mean she was too young for any vaccines either, but too late now. It will be all the chemicals put into her, plus the sudden diet change causing all the digestive upsets I would think. A good probiotic could help, and NOT forti flora. I would keep her on the bland diet for only a day or two then slowly transition back to the wet food you are giving her, using the probiotic to help her digestion cope.

15. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

I starter to think that he wasn’t 8 weeks yet when I got him recently too! But honestly it’s my first cat and as people I got him from seemed really genuine and serious I just trusted them. And during first vet visit they didn’t mention anything regarding his size or weight, or age, the second time lady said he is too small for his age (same clinic but seems everytime I go there’s different vet). Hopefully he will settle soon; we had a bit of loose poop again after advocate spot on but it’s getting better now I decided I’m not going to fiddle with the food he’s getting to make sure he can transition fully before introducing anything new. He’s absolutely not keen on any on bland chicken or fish and as poops are getting better I just keep him on one flavour of kitten food he’s having since transitioning from crappy wiskhas. I’ve talked to a friend who has similar problem with one of her cats and she said it took good couple of weeks to get nice poop out of him after changing his food from the trash he’s been fed before so fingers crossed!
    thank you for your replay!

lorilu likes this.
  16. Does that make enough jelly?

17. Do not feed dry food ever.

18. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Yes. if you know the instructions for slow cookers, that is about the amount of water I use even if I cook chicken in the oven.

19. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

I second white fish over chicken, ours go wild for it!!

I'd avoid dry food, hard to get cats off it when they are addicted. The best way of explaining it easily I've read was even "good" dry food that might have everything a cat needs to survive would be like us eating those diet shake powders in compressed pellets. Imagine how thirsty you'd be - nowhere near enough water for cats. (At least this helped convince my partner to stop feeding them dry for lunch!!)

Just trying to get mine on to raw now, I heard that's one of the best diets if done correctly and good for teeth... they'd happily rip open a bin bag to get an empty raw meat packet out and lick the insides but I actually put raw in their bowls and they turn there noses up!

20. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

I’m thinking about raw too once he’s all settled and his poop is good. Looking into ready raw mixes on purrform, can’t see myslef buying actual meat and preparing it myself coz I’m vegan on the other hand I want what’s best for him so maybe I will have to compromise my integrity slightly... tough choice!

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice