Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Food-4-Cats. Does anyone order from them?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kidsandcats, Aug 12, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi

I have been looking at the Food-4-Cats website as I am considering feeding my kittens a raw meat diet. I am not sure if I have worked the costings out right but reading it up on a Feline Nutrition webiste that was posted as a link on here it states that most cats will need 140g of meat per day. The cost of 1kg of raw chicken mince from Food-4-Cats is £1.10 so I have worked it out that I will need 2kg per week which is only going to cost £2.20 per week for the two cats. Obviously they won't eat this much to start but I am trying to work out the true cost once they are fully grown. The delivery charge is a bit steep at £6 but was thinking of ordering two weeks worth which means it will cost £5.20 per week for the food plus delivery. The cost of decent wet food pouches is around £5.00 so if I have worked my sums out right I will definately be trying the raw diet. What I would now like to find out is if the company is reliable so would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks
    Sharon
    x

2. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Sharon

I have not used this company but the thing that you have to remember with raw feeding is that you cannot simply give them chicken and expect it to be their whole diet.

Cats need many different vitamins and nutrients and in order to provide this they need a variety of meats, muscle, organs and even the bone.

I was also hoping to get my cats onto a raw diet but after reading more information about it have decided not to.

Don't get me wrong I think it's fantastic and much better for the cat but it also has to be done correctly and too many things could go wrong.

I personally feel safer giving them a high end food with a decent meat content knowing that everything they need is contained in it.

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I've been looking into the Food4Cats site (and sister site Food4Dogs) and been quite impressed. Their minced meats do contain organ meat and bone as well, in the right proportions. The Taster Packs are £10 inc delivery, so that's a good place to start - everything's delivered in polystyrene insulating icebox thingys, and if I wanted to fill my freezer, £6 delivery charge is reasonable, I'd pay the same or more to have 15kg dry food delivered. You can also pay them via PayPal.

Will report back... so far, so inclined towards them.

4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I think some folk on another forum have used these and they have had no problem.

5. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I've used them and they're very good. I had a problem with the last delivery but that was caused by the courier not reading the instructions and the lady sorted it out straight away. Their food is good value.

6. kidsandcats

Thanks guys. I have since found a website that has a couple of recipes which shows you how to make homemade raw food. It is basically whole chicken, carcuss and all, the livers, it gives you the right quanities of oils, and shows that it contains the necessary vitamins. After reading on this website how important it is to ensure that cheap cuts of meat are not used and that the muscle and heart/liver is included I thought I would price this up to compare the cost of buying the meat from Food-4-Cats. I have however e-mailed them to ask for them to confirm what cuts of meat are used and whether they contain the bones, and whether they add the heart and liver,or a supplement of Taurine if not

Thought I'd post the recipe if you are interested or even for those of you who make their own to advise whether they would use this recipe.

Thanks again
    Sharon
    x

■Do not cut corners by using only chicken legs, or - heaven forbid - just chicken backs and necks to make this recipe. Use the whole, “dressed” bird (chicken can be substituted by other edible birds) and don’t cut anything away, like skin or fat. The chicken meat itself will contain little fat, and the visible fat is important as a source of essential fatty acids. Of course, don’t use a bird with guts, feathers, head, and legs.
    ■You don’t need to add Vitamin Bs or E, because these are naturally occurring in both the raw egg yolk and raw liver.
    ■Do not add whole egg, but only the egg yolk. Egg white contains an enzyme which will make the essential B Vitamin Biotin unavailable to your cat.
    ■Instead of Kelp, we add “Half Salt” or “Light Salt” to this recipe, which is readily available at your grocery store. It is a mixture of iodized sodium chloride and potassium chloride. It is easy to overdose iodine when using kelp on a small scale as in the do-it-yourself recipe.
    ■Add 1 can of salmon, sardines, or mackerel packed in water as a source of Omega 3 fatty acids, instead of 4000mg Salmon Oil or an Omega 3 fish oil, if you wish.
    ■Although chicken – especially the dark meat of chicken legs contain Taurine, it is advisable to obtain Taurine (available as L-Taurine) from your health food store to assure optimal levels of this essential amino acid in this recipe. If available, you can add 400g of chicken hearts, but take ½ chicken breast away. In that case, you do not have to add supplemental Taurine.
    ■Cats do not need fiber. There is no need to add Psyllium husk or any other source of soluble or insoluble fiber to this recipe.
    ■This recipe has a naturally pleasing texture and does not require the addition of water.
    ■If your store bought chicken contains the heart, liver, gizzard, and neck in the body cavity, remove these from the little bag and simply grind into the recipe

7. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

I have just received my first delivery yesterday. I wanted the diced rabbit because my source at the farmers market has dried up.

I ordered 4 packs of rabbit (4kg) and 1kg of diced oxheart. It came in one of those polystyrene boxes and was wrapped in black plastic with instructions if out in very large type in a clear plastic 'envelope' and of course my address.

It did come mostly frozen - some of the meat chunks were semi frozen and it was leaking through the polystyreen, but the black plastic did not let the liquid out.

I did not see it as a problem as I would have rebagged anyway - just decanted on to trays and re-froze. Remember it s my cats who are going to eat it.....

Otherwise quite impressed - came when it said it would and packaging OK. Nice big chunks of different sizes.

I don't feed exclusively raw. I do a combo of high quality wet and raw chunks for those that want it. I have found the bone in the rabbit and chicken 'cleans' my female's teeth and helps keep the gingavitis at bay (she is prone).

8. kidsandcats

Brilliant thanks for that!

Didn't think about the cleaning teeth part lol!!

Sharon
    x

9. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I buy from Food 4 Cats - I'm always very impressed with the packaging and service etc. The mince varieties are all properly balanced with meat, organs and bones so you don't need to add anything else to them. The boneless chunks can be used together with organ meats and bonemeal (or another form of calcium) to balance them, and the bone in chunks can be mixed with organ meats to balance them.

Mine all love the ox cheek mince variety, plus they would absolutely kill for the pork tongue chunks LOL!

The recipe on catinfo.org makingcatfood is a good recipe Sharon. :)

10. kidsandcats

Thank you, I'll have a nosey at that one!

Going on holiday on Sunday and then bring kittens home the day after we are back so got a reason to be excited about coming home!

Sharon
    x

11. Tshewcy

Tshewcy PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am very interested in this raw food source as I have persian cats, but I am afraid I need your help in connection with this. Sorry, I came from Hungary so I do not know the local circumstances here. In Hungary vets say that raw porkmeat strictly forbidden as it can conatin a virus of a fatal infection called Aujeszky's disease.

"AD is a notifiable, viral, acute febrile disease mainly affecting pigs (as main host). Other species (ruminants, dogs, cats and other carnivores) are final hosts for this always fatal infection of the central nervous system: they don't excrete the virus, hence do not spread the disease further. The virus (a herpes virus) can survive, dependent on the temperature, for some time in meat, urine, excrement and soil. Therefore, raw pork should not be fed to dogs and cats. "

How do you know that the row pork meat that they sell here is safe?
    Many thanks in advance.

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I use food4cats - they are really good. I tend to order about two months worth at a time to save on postage costs. There sausages are all complete and you don't need to add anything to them - good for me as I hate handling raw meat and if I had to make my own recipes up I'd fail.

The food is prepared to stricter quality standards than food for human consumption (Karen came on here once and explained it all) so I'm assuming (on the pork front) they are very careful and there is no need to worry. Of course, if you are still worried just don't buy the pork products.

13. Tshewcy

Tshewcy PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much for your help.

14. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

I've been using them for a few months now and found their service to be excellent. Also, they were really helpful at Christmas. I had recently moved house and had missed an email from them telling me of their pre-Christmas order deadline. I missed the deadline by a day and was almost out of raw. After a phone call to them, they said that they would fulfil all the orders they had and see what was left and told me to submit my order online anyway and they would look at it. They called back and said they could fulfil the whole order and I received it in time. For some reason, mine have all gone off all flavours of mince - even if I try to mix a little cat food in with it (which usually does the trick). I have resorted to feeding high meat content commercial alongside chunks of rabbit (bone in) and tongue (which they really love). I'll do this for a while and then try them back on the mince. It's weird that they have ALL done this? It's a shame as I feel that it was the best for them, value for money is great and not a great deal of packing. I'm hoping that by feeding them some raw still, I will be able to keep the squits at bay!

~X~

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice