Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

following on.......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by animallover111, Jul 6, 2009.

1. animallover111

After my drama this morning which i now find funny but still strange.......on a serious note just wondering what would you do if a stranger asked for your help?? Do people still stop if they see someone at the roadside with warning lights on.....would you get involved if someone was been hurt.......

In my opinion people now think twice about getting involved.......me personally i could not walk past if i thought someone needed my help......
    what would you do??

2. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I would help but only to a certain extent....in this day and age you have to be so careful.....I remember years ago - I was about 18yrs old and I had just finished work and was at the bus stop waiting for the bus - it was about 3pm in the afternoon - a woman in a car came and stopped in the bus lane and asked me for directions to a place called Radcliffe on trent which was straight down the road she was on - I told her the directions and then she said to me do you want a lift where are you going to??? I said no thanks the bus would be here any minute she said it would be no bother where did I live??? but I said no again I thought it weird a women just stopping and then offering a lift!!! she said fair enough and drove off - I watched her go and she took the turning to go somewhere else!!!:confused: not the directions for the place she had asked for! It made me feel really creepy! and ive always been a bit dubious of peeps since then. If someone was hurt I would phone the police.

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A couple of years ago I was walking William and Zoe along some gardens across the road from us. I came across an old man lying on the grass. I stopped and asked if he was ok and the realised it was the local drunk.

I helped him to his feet and put him on a bench nearby but in doing that with 2 dogs going mad the man fell and landed on top of William. Credit to William as he just squealed and dashed to the end of the lead he could have bitten. As for Zoe she jumped all over the man she was an excitable pup at the time and someone lying on the floor was just to much fun for her.

I got the man back up and ploncked him on the bench gave him a lecture on drinking and walked of with the dogs. When we went back he was still sat there. William was absolutely terrified and wouldn't walk near him. Not only that he wouldn't let any strangers touch him. This was 3 weeks before he was going to crufts. Fortunately we discovered it wasn't people it was the area he wouldn't even go into the paper shop were he'd been going every day since we first had him. He was fine away from the area it happened.

Becasue of that I am very wary of helping prople I don't know. Thinking back I should have just phoned an ambulance and let them deal with him but they never do anything when they realise who it is.

The last time I saw the man was in the winter and even then he crossed the road when he saw me. I was getting out of my car having just got home form work and didn't even have the dogs with me.

animallover111 likes this.
  4. animallover111

Good post Suzy,think you had a lucky escape.There have been some hurendous stories of young women accepting lifts.When i think about it i really do dread my children growing up :(

5. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I am not naturally a very trusting person, and would probably think twice about helping someone unless it was very clear they needed help. If someone came up to me I would be very cautious about how i handled the situation, I know someone who got taken off and shot point blank because someone asked her to follow them to help their friend.... So i am very wary of strangers as it is. If I had seen at RTA or someone having a fit/clearly requiring medical attention then I would do as much as possible to help the situation.

6. animallover111

I think quite often we try help people without thinking of the dangers or what could happen its only when we have walked away from the situation. Sadly probably many people have picked this man up but at least you didnt leave him there :)

7. kath123

kath123 Guest

I would help without thinking as that is who i am, but i should be much more careful really as you never know what nutters are out there!!! :mad:

8. animallover111

That is sad and many of us dont even think of the dangers i understand why you are more cautious :(

9. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yeah....its not like when we were kids thats for sure.:(

10. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

Whilst, I am quite naiive in nature. I do also find it difficult to trust people after events and hurts etc. However, I think I'd put that aside if someone needed help on the road. Our GPS or DPS as I like to call it, gives some first aid advice so it would come in handy. Although over here I think that if you drive past an accident you have to stop and help. Which people do, they just get out and use their triangle about 15 m away from the accident.

I agree with you when you mentioned that people think twice about helping. In England, when I'm there it would be different but here I think I'd help. (I know that seems snobbish and horrible) but I don't particulary want to assist someone who will complain that I did something wrong later.

11. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I'd would help anyone in need of medical help as far as my capabilities would allow but as for anything else I would think twice about helping and probably be more likey to ring the police.

I think as a woman it's far from a safe world out there and I'm super cautious especially when walking Harvey. I always carry my mobile with me and although I tend to wear an ipod it's always turned down low and sometimes not on at all :eek:

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I have stopped and tired to help people But now i tend to have my children with me and it nows depends on the situtation i wont help if it means i put my children in danger and myself to be honest

i will help if people have fallen over e.t.c and have phoned and police for people before

13. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

some funny people about isnt there.

I was jogging one evening with my OH and it was summer so still light. There was a man laying on the steps to the beach and seriously he looked dead.
    So i urged the OH to check on him, and he took a few steps near him and he was covered in sick, he was snoring his head off, and he had clearly wet himself. so from what i could see i thought the worst. as OH got closer he said he had a bottle of cheap nasty vodka tucked under his arm and he stunk of booze.

he walked back and said "**** him, hes got himself like that"

i couldnt help but laugh to be honest, but part of me felt a little guilty leaving him there.

14. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

I help people when they drop things or fall over...Once I saw someone dying in the train station, I didn't do anything, as there was paramedics all around him, otherwise I would.

15. animallover111

off topic but i wonder if we worry more about our children growing up as our parents worried about us since the world has changed so much more for the worse??

16. Classyellie

Perhaps we should make a new thread for the topic? :confused:

17. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

While i'd love to think i'd stop and help someone i thought was in trouble, in all honesty i dont know that i would (i have real trust issue's which doesn't help) :(.
    Society is such that you could be walking into a minefield and end up the victim instead of a saviour, there's been too many tales of people trying to help, only to be turned upon or tragically paying with their own lives :mad:
    I know himself would offer help (that makes me feel proud but also terrifies me) because thats he's nature.
    Its a sad world that when help is needed it can't be freely given for fear of the consequences. Where's the respect for human life gone??

All i can say is im glad im not a teenager today ... life is so very different!

18. animallover111

good idea........:)

19. animallover111

Very true Angel,there have been some terrible stories recently of innocent people getting hurt or worse whilst trying to help it really is sad and as iv said i dread my children growing up :(

20. Classyellie

My ex brother-in-law tried to help someone he found wandering the street - she stabbed him to death :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice