Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Following contract

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Siameezers, Dec 11, 2019.


  1. Siameezers

    Siameezers PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    33
    lenanowa I am sure that was difficult situation. Is this the same breeder that blocked you?

    Initially the vet didn't want to give antibiotics, as she had just been treated with them when she had the mycoplasma (so they prescribed probiotics and then lysine).

    Once the new owners were able to get the video of the kitten coughing, the vet said that she didn't think the cough was as bad as it actual was and prescribed the amoxicillin antibiotic, then again a few weeks later but a higher dose and for longer. And then 5 days ago the vet tried to give her ANOTHER round of the same exact antibiotics. I guess the new owners demanded that they try something else, so now she is on a fluoroquinolone antibiotic for 10 days.
    So in her 6 months of life she has been on 4 rounds of antibiotics. SMH

    I just offered again pay for the full panel to be done. I said we can wait and see if these last round of antibiotics that she is currently on fix the problem, but if they don't then I think it's really important to test. If her vet refuses again then I will ask her to bring kitten for a second opinion and offer my vet if she would be willing to bring the kitten.

    I know I am not a vet, but to me it just doesn't make any sense to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I feel absolutely awful not only for the kitten but also her owners :( it must be really stressful.
     
  2. Tigermoon

    Tigermoon PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Messages:
    3,868
    Likes Received:
    6,813
    It does seem bizarre that the vet is simply repeating treatment that has already proven not to clear the issue. If the owner demands something then I don't believe a vet can refuse unless it would cause the animal suffering/harm, and a swab to test for disease doesn't fall into that category. If the vet is really resistant I'd definitly be seeking a second opinion, and most likely a new practice! I hope they get to the bottom of the issue.
     
    Siameezers likes this.
  3. lillytheunicorn

    lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2012
    Messages:
    820
    Likes Received:
    1,302
    Is it Doxycycline the kitten is now on? Random question but do they or you also have a dog?
     
  4. Siameezers

    Siameezers PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    33
    She's on Zenequin now, which is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.

    I have two dogs, they only have other cats
     
  5. Tigermoon

    Tigermoon PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Messages:
    3,868
    Likes Received:
    6,813
    Are you thinking Bordatella? Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are thought to be effective although Doxycycline is definitly the drug of choice.
    @Siameezers I think I'd definitly push for the test so at least they know what they are dealing with.
     
  6. Siameezers

    Siameezers PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    33
    Update:

    Thankfully the kitten hasn't had any more issues since starting/finishing the Zenequin antibiotic. They didn't end up testing, however if this issue arises in the future that will be the first thing that is done. (Fingers crossed that it doesn't)

    The new owners still have not sent copies of the vet bills and have not brought it up again despite regular contact. They send are now sending updates on all the crazy shenanigans the kittens are up to, which I must admit is a nice change!

    I also recently learned that two of the families that are currently on our kitten waitlist, were actually referred to us by this family (to say that I was surprised was an understatement!).

    I wanted to thank you all again for taking the time to share your thoughts and insights with me, it was greatly appreciated!
     
  7. SbanR

    SbanR PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2017
    Messages:
    7,510
    Likes Received:
    19,057
    Thanks for the update. It's nice to know the outcome. I think you showed by your actions that you're a caring breeder
     
    Siameezers likes this.
  8. gskinner123

    gskinner123 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    3,526
    Likes Received:
    1,273
    Thanks for letting us know; that's a very nice outcome :)

    Not that my point was ever aimed at you as you were clearly going above and beyond....but it just illustrates how a breeder dealing with problems fairly, in a kind and caring manner, goes an awful long way. It is lovely to be 'repaid' with their recommendation and a real credit to you.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice