Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Follow up to my last post... Advice please!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Staffielove, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Staffielove

Staffielove PetForums Newbie

To those of you that kindly responded to my last post about my staffie Lexi was was causing major problems between me and my partner thank you!..

I am trying to help to solve the problem..... however my partner is not very keen on her at all really.. and I have seriously been thinking that maybe she would be better in a home where she is wanted by everyone, and with someone who has the time and patience to help and support her...
    I know the rescue centres are full of unwanted staffies with no one who wants to take them, and it breaks my heart..

Does anyone have any advice or input to offer me....
    Thanks

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, act on the advice given to you & put the effort in.

There are thousands of unwanted staffies in rescue please don;t add to this increasing number.

Most dogs need time & training which is an ongoing commitment, you owe your dog this & shouldn't give up so easily.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but when thousands of healthy dogs are killed every year as there aren't enough homes for them I feel you should do everythjing you can to ensure your dog isn't one of them.

3. Staffielove

Hi Cleo

Yes I agree with you.. sorry perhaps I didnt make myself clear.. I have no intention of giving up to a rescue where she will end up with all the other staffies or wore pts, I meant maybe trying to find someone personally who would offer her a home

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

But even in a private rehome she is in danger of being passed around time & time again. If she has so many problems then why do you think someone else would want to take these on if you don't want to?

In your previous posts you state food stealing & fighting in the living room being a problem. You then admit that the dogs live in the kitchen & don't get much exercise - seriously, do you really expect any dog to behave when it gets no stimulation either mental or physical?

I really don't know what you want as people have given you plenty of advice - have you started working on any of this? Behaviour modification (if there is any with your dog) is not a quick fix it can take months maybe years. My second rescue dog has been extrmely difficult at times & I had taken on much more than I should have but by constant training & working with a behaviourist as well as pf members really helping me out we have made massive progress recently. Have you contactde the rescue that you rehomed her from? alot provide ongoing support to dogs that were previously in their care

Maybe initally you should start taking them out & getting some proper exercise on a regular basis. Do you do this? Also reinstae training classes, if you can't find any then have several short sessions at home. Roxy is still unable to attent regular obedience classes so we do lots of clicker training in 5min sessions throughout the day.

We also play games such as 'find it' to keep her occupied, tug games where we can focus on learning 'drop' - these don't need to be long sessions. A couple of pf members in your last thread live nearby - why don't you contact them & try meeting up? Maybe google to see if there is a local dog walking group you could meet with or put an ad in the paper asking for any local dog owners to contact you?

As for your OH maybe try telling him that none opf this is your dogs fault, if you both start putting the effort in then things will change. Your poor dog sounds bored & I really don't know why you are suprised by her behaviour.

Again, I don't mean to be harsh but I really don't understand what the problem is. It just takes time & effort. It is very unusual to have adog that is perfect - most dogs have areas that need working on & training them (although can be frustrating at times) is a bonding experience as you & your dog learn together.

#4 Cleo38, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

If your partner can`t accept your dog.... I`d be questioning the relationship, not the future of the dog.
    JMO.

6. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

I don't know the background, but really do agree with claire&daisy.

Partners do come and go, and why the hell should you give up your dog that was there before they came along? If they're jealous and unaccepting about your dog what other sacrifices will they make you choose in the future? :eek:

7. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

sounds like u have had some great advice, rescues r not easy they need work and commitment, took me 2 years with my boy to get him to the dog he is today, that was 2 classes a week and working with him at home, he still not perfect, what dog is, but he is way better off with me and mine with effort and love, than putting back into the rescue population.

Work with her, build a bond, you owe her that, my fav saying is "you get out what you put in" take the advice and good luck with her :)

8. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, there's nothing wrong with your Staffie, she's being a dog and she's bored, try taking them out for walks the longer the better!, as for the fighting it sounds as though they are playing!, it can sound as though they are killing each other when two Staffies play, I think your trainer is talking rubbish, she surely wouldn't be qualified to make such a diagnosis!, put the shock collar idea and whoever suggested it where it deserves to be.....in the Rubbish!, why have you got two Staffies when you are finding one a handful?, I think the answer to your problem is simple boredom she's going stir crazy!, exercise, play, do interesting things with her, please don't re-home her as it's just adding to the problem, Staffies are wonderful dogs just take the time to get to know each other. wayne.

9. Staffielove

Thank you all for your replies and input... I have considered my self told, and apologise to those I have upset/or offended by my post.
    Yes I realise that I have bitten off more than I can chew with having got two staffies, I have taken on board all advice and suggestions and am now going to make the effort to change things and input new changes to stimulate them more... I do love them both very much and guess sometimes feel very alone with trying to help/deal with them...
    I am going to look into finding people locally that I can walk with?..

I hope that people on this forum will be prepared to help me along the way.. If I havent upset too many people..

10. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

We're always here to help, Staffielove. No one says it's easy, no one here will tell you that there's nothing that can be done, but it's worth doing. Where about are you?

Dogs are huge commitments and, yes, sometimes they seem like a big mistake. But think about having a child- you wouldn't sell the child off when things got difficult would you?

I would get a professional to help you, even if it's only one or two sessions so they can see the situation and put you on the right track. PM me (and I'm sure anyone else) if you want any help privately, but this forum is full of amazing advice that people would pay a lot of money for usually!

Good luck! :)

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Honestly you can make a difference by making changes & getting support. Don't be afraid to post if things aren't going well as different view points or advice can be exactly what you need.

My second rescue dog was such a handful when we initally got her; she was very reactive to other dogs, suffered from anxiety/stress, no training, started attacking Toby (my first dog) in the evening, pulled like a steam train on walks, started snapping at people when out, had OCD digging behaviour .... I could go on!

I regretted taking her on for the first few weeks as I thought she was too much for us (I only got Toby my first dog last Jan so I'm hardly an expoerienced dog owner). Roxy has still got alot of issues & we still need to put in alot of work with her but in the last few weeks she has suddenly made massive progress & I can see such vast improvement in her.

She is time consuming, all out spare time is dedicated to the dogs either walking, training sessions, where we can go so Roxy can experience new things, etc but they are worth it.

This forum has been a fantastic help to me & I don't think I could have coped with Roxy had it not been for advice & support from here so post your worries, ask for help, advice, etc as there are so many people here who are willing to help you out with this.

12. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Hey nobody here is upset by ya post, I totally get where u r coming from, crikey Mr B had me in tears many a time and I bloody wondered what the heck I'd taken on, it was relentless, he was 8mth old and going through his adolescent stage and boy did he test me every step of the way, but u know what, the satisfaction u get when u do or get sumat right is fab and worth all the heartache along the way, to see a dog adjust to life and everything u throw at it is the best feeling in the world, yep it takes hard work, dedication by the bucket full but OMG so well worth it, so yeah if u have a bad time, share it, nobody will slate u 4 it but try and offer help, keep ya chin up :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice