Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Follow up from 'very aggressive pup' thread

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Gordo, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Gordo

Gordo PetForums Junior

If you read my post from last week desperately asking for advice for agressive pup, this is the follow up!

We got on really well with the behaviourist on Thursday -- he thinks all Lily's problems are attention seeking based and her poor ability to deal with frustration.

Her attention seeking escalates on an extinction curve -- the more we react to her bad behaviour, the more likely she is to do it again. He suggested ignoring the behaviour which we've found out is easier said than done, as now we are ignoring the chewing shoe laces, jeans etc, her behaviour is getting worse, but she is giving up, eventually!!

The biting part is her frustration at not getting her own way, and with regard to putting lead/harness on/off, has introduced clicker training.

He's given us things to implement with her but we're waiting for the report to come through sometime this coming week.

He also said he is confident that she will come through this and it is definately NOT cocker rage.

2. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

Hi,

This is great news, I'm so glad, and once Lily and you get the hang of clicker training, her learning with take on a pace.

Funnily enough I have received a few comments on my blog from a guy in the states going through a similar phase with his pup.

Some of the advice I gave him will be useful to you too I'm sure, you can view the comments [here]

A lot of what you'll be doing is teaching Lily to be confident in not always having your attention and your interaction. It's very normal for pups to have a strong desire to want to interact with their new "family" and to be honest this attention seeking phase is something every pup owner goes through whether they realise it or not.

So now that you are aware of why this behaviour is happening, you can gradually resolve it.

The behaviourist sounds like a keeper :)

Keep us posted on progress.

All the best

3. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I agree with the above - the behaviourist sounds a good'un!

Behaviour often gets worse before it gets better - extinction burst. Because the behaviour has always worked before, when it stops working/getting attention the dog ups the ante. Stay consistent and the behaviour WILL eventually stop when the dog works out that it really REALLY doesn't work any more :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice