Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

'Focus on me' training

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Me n Digit, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Me n Digit

Me n Digit PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have read many helpful training tips on this site and quite a few seem to hinge on getting your dog to focus on you before you give a direction.
    Can anyone give me the best way to do this?
    I prefer voice to clicker as I'm using that combined with a treat and I don't want to confuse him.
    Regards,
    Penelope

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ive always taught it (might not be text book) by holding a treat up and at an angle so the dog has to look up into your face and has to make eye contact, the minute he does then the "watch me" command, then treat. Once thats reliable then you can extend the watch me time, by reapeating watch me and pausing before you give the treat. Then you can build up longer and longer by extending the time between the watch me/eye contact and giving the treat.
    Hope that makes sense?

Devil-Dogz likes this.
  4. Me n Digit

Me n Digit PetForums Newbie

Thanks, Devil Dogz(!)

That sounds a good idea. I shall give it a go.
    Of course as his eyes are covered with hair, it will be difficult to see if he is looking at me or not!
    I think a bit of grooming is in order.
    Regards,
    Penelope

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice