Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foaming during Activity

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by iibejae, Sep 3, 2013.

1. iibejae

iibejae PetForums Newbie

I have a chihuahua terrier approx 40 pounds and two years old.
    Yes he is considered overweight for his age/size/breed.
    I took him out for the first time at a doggy park and it was kind of hot and he started salivating and foaming excessively at the mouth.
    He has just gotten his rabies shot last year and it's supposed to last 3 years and he has not eaten anything out of the norm for the past few days.
    when i looked it up it was a possibility that it was from playing too much and getting over excited and heated up.
    After we took him in the car and home, it was gone--no sign of aggression or anything wrong.
    If it is from over heating, is there any way i can prevent it next time? May it have been from lack of water during play? (only about 2 hours) He rejected the water we gave him because it wasnt in a bowl.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Well, take a bowl for his water next time, and find a spot in the shade for him to rest in, to cool down between bouts of play.

I find it hard to imagine just how fat a 40lb chihuahua cross must be - that's heavier than my collie! You've got to get some weight off him - 'light' food, less of it, bulked out with grated carrot, no human food, low colorie treats and not many of them. If you don't, he's likely to get diabetes, heart disease, arthritis and other joint problems.

3. wannabe dogowner

wannabe dogowner PetForums Member

You say it was 1st time at the park. Does that mean it was a lot more exercise and exertion than he is used to?
    2 hours in the heat for a dog unused to it and overweight, without water sounds like a bit of a recipe for disaster to me. I'd start smaller and pace him a bit, plus take him in the cooler parts of the day and make sure he has some water and rests.
    I agree about the weight though.......on the face of it, that sounds a shocking weight for such a small breed cross! The only kind thing to do is to restrict his food until he is healthier. No one wants to shortentheir dogs life and make them ill, but ultimately allowing them to be grossly overweight is doing just that.

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

definitely less exercise all at once
    take water, take shade and lose weight

You can build him up to extended periods of exercise but it needs to be done gradually

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice