Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flystrike Prevention / other prevention

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ellie Lovatt, May 28, 2019.

1. Ellie Lovatt

Ellie Lovatt PetForums Junior

Anyone recommend anything for flystrike prevention? spoke to the vets and she said I could be spending up to £50 for this. Obviously, if that is all there is then i will buy it, however if anybody else has any recommendations please let me know?

Also do I need to use a flea / mite / tick prevention or anything for any other little nasites?

Want something that other people have used for there buns with no troubles.

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Unless your rabbit is elderly, incontinent or disabled, you shouldn't need regular fly strike prevention meds. Keep their environment clean and regularly clean out the poop corners. You can use natural deterrents like lemon balm and lavender plants around as well.

You shouldn't need to use preventative flea/mite meds either, it's recommended not to use preventative meds as it can build immunity in those nasty bugs. Better to only use these things when there's an actual infestation or if the bun is in a high risk area (i.e. lots of cats coming and going who could bring in little hijackers!)

3. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

if you read about rosemary being a deterant for flies, ignore it, I filled my rabbit shed with rosemary and its not working

Ellie Lovatt likes this.
  4. Ellie Lovatt

okay thanks - thats great. i’ve got such a fear of him getting flystrike although both himself and all his areas to play in are clean, it looks awful and my vet had said something about going on to a plan where he gets a prevention jab for it - was unsure if this was just for them to make more money

no cats around so i won’t worry about fleas or any other pests

5. Ellie Lovatt

oh thats annoying! i’ve heard lavender keeps flies away - however i can’t stand the smell so i’ve not tried it myself. if you find anything that does, please update me :D

6. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

I’ve not heard that, but I hate lavender too, so will have to keep looking

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice