Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flys Around Eyes?

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by debbsygirl, Jun 8, 2010.

1. debbsygirl

debbsygirl PetForums Newbie

Hi guys! It's that time of year and there seems to be flies everywhere! But what can i use to keep the flys away from my horses eyes?

2. haylesequine

haylesequine PetForums Newbie

The previous comment is a good answer. Fly fringes, Fly masks, Full fly rug with hood and fringe and fly repellent creams are all good too.

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I feed my lad garlic and he's never bothered by flies as much as some of the other horses. ;)

4. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

This worked for me too. It's been a long time since I had a horse but I used garlic powder - just a scoop full (scoop came in the tub) once a day. You'd need to get more info about amounts etc.

If the fringes etc aren't enough then this is the route to take.

Laura :)

5. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Not sure how it works actually but I've fed it too him for years now Spring til early Winter with a break over late winter and honestly he suffer's far less than any of the rest of the herd. It's certainly not a smell through his sweat because I don't detect it when he's working but I've never looked into the actually 'mechanic's' of why it works it just does!!:lol: I feed him Rosehip for his joints (which no longer click since feeding it) and Yeast for his digestive system (he had salmonella 2 years ago and nearly died) and Garlic for his blood and fly deteriant. All natural as they come and so far working exactly as I would like. :thumbup:

I tend you use granules as the powder is too light and doesn't work as well with the feed I use, but I have friends who use cloves lightly chopped, both methods work well.

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:lol: I know everytime I feed Kane someone pop's up 'Ohhh garlic bread!!' :lol:. I've used it to tempt fussy horses to eat too, I know it does have a bit of a mixed reaction in the 'horsey' world but he goes great on it so I'm happy.

8. DaniiAngel

DaniiAngel PetForums Junior

I feed all mine garlic and they have a fly rug and fly mask.
    I also cake them in fly spray and sponge some fly creme around their nose and eyes.
    I still get the horsefly problems but the normal ones seem to go away and don't bother them.

Still dispise horseflys though :mad:

9. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

My mare is having a terrible time with the flies this year. :mad:
    I use.... Garlic twice a day in feed, fly repellant sprayed on once a day and I also have a fly mask and fringe.
    She is nearly 17hh and I am 5ft2. She doesnt like the mask or the fringe so getting either on is a MASSIVE task!! She knows that as soon as she puts her head up I cant reach her so I am having to go up behind her and chuck it on as quick as possible lol :lol:
    Garlic is the newest addition to my supplements and she been having it for about a month now, I dont find that it is working at all. I dont know if it is because she has only just beed introduced to it, or if it just doesnt work for her cos a lot of friends use it and it works fine!
    She repellant doesnt work too well either.
    I am hating putting her out because she does get covered in them and it horrible but I dont want her in so she is having to put up with it right now.

Also, JSR - Where do you buy rosehip from and how do you use it? My mare is starting to get really clicky back legs (she is nearly 13 so this is expected) but If I can do something about it I want to. Am willing to try?

10. hannahg

hannahg PetForums Junior

I think the best thing is sponging fly repellent around the eyes and face although I did once have a citronella roll on formula specifically for eyes which worked quite well, the only thing is if they're out all day it tends to wear off! Normal flies don't like citronella but I don't think horse flies have a problem with anything!!

I think the masks are very difficult, as much as it does to keep them off it's worse when flies get stuck inside and can't get out!

11. bluejacket

bluejacket PetForums Junior

Yes, I used to give my ancient sheltand (she died at 40yrs) a 2cm squeeze of garlic paste (or a garlic pill) on a bit of bread and black molasses daily. I am sure it helped her mobility and she wasn't bothered much by flies, I reckon it came through her skin. (Although I never noticed it:)!) It does take a bit of time to build up.

Also have used 1/10 mix of oil and citronella oil which you can buy - you can use mineral oil as the base, but I used cheapest veg oil. I did find some of the horses skin was sensitive to it, and as others have said, it seemed to wear off.

I have tried Avon's 'Woodland Fresh' dry oil spray - walkers swear by it to combat mosquitoes, but also seems to wear off after a while.

12. Maz3643

Maz3643 Banned

Id recommend trying a full face fly mask, the flies cannot get under it!
    Also garlic is a good longterm option, once in the diet..also i dampen cotton wool with fly spray and wipe around the top of the eye and down along the cheek bone....my boy seems to like it as i think he knows the benefit it will be!
    Maz

13. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

Hi folks,

I'd highly recommend Avons Skin so Soft (soft and fresh) green label. It's a winner, don't know how or why but repells flies, midges etc. I use it on both my horses and myself and it works wonders. You would have to be carefull not to get it in your horses eyes. I just spray some in my hand and apply. Smells nice, don't have to apply much to get the effect, not too expensive and works!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice