Flyball Season 2016

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by Caribou, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

The season, for us, starts tomorrow. We are still deep in the darkest starters division but enjoy it and we're looking forward to our first tournament at Abingdon OX tomorrow.

Here's my boy in training - he makes me so proud when he gets it right and has me in stitches when he gets it wrong (less and less often these days!). Either way always entertaining!

11141284_10207375667409376_6375753793840579112_n.jpg 11695799_10207375669369425_5912528196341126970_n.jpg

2. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

How did it go? I wish I'd been there, my team was, but I had to work today!

3. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

Oh fantastic how did your team do? What's your team name maybe we raced them :D

We came second in our division! So proud of my boy he did great - he is not as nippy as our collie and spaniel team mates but he is more consistent imo. Never drops the ball, always runs right. Very chuffed with him!

The venue was a disaster of mud and slipperiness though as you will hear from your team. We were there all day in the cold wet so it was a long one, then it was so slippery getting out we all had to wait our turn to be pulled out by the tractor. :eek:

4. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I run with Essex, they had 2 open teams running yesterday, 1 came 1st and the other came 2nd in their divisions and they have 2 open teams running today. I have 2 girls that run in open, Skye is now 10 and slowing and Star is 6 and in her prime, then I have Tayen who is 15 months old and the only time she went to a starters comp it was all a bit too exciting!

#4 Oenoke, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  5. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

Gosh you must be very proud. 1st and 2nd! Our open team came 4th in their division and we had all our races on Saturday (and none yesterday). I bet the grounds were much more comfortable yesterday with all the lovely sun and no rain. They had to move the starters runs a few times as it became too slippery after too many races - I am not sure if they did this for the open runs but it has to be more difficult with the lights to set up etc.

Our next event is 2nd May in Earls Barton. A bit of a long drive from the Chilterns but it's a fun day out.

6. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Our open teams came 2nd and 3rd on Sunday.

My next flyball show is Cambridgeshire at Biggleswade 30 April - 2 May, then after that it will be Just Dogs Live 9-10 July. I also compete at agility and have a few agility shows in between.

7. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

Oh woops, we are in Biggleswade on the 2nd May, so we may see you! Earls Barton on the 14th.

Well done on your team's placements. You must be very proud! Gosh your Skye is 10 years old? My boy will only be 3 in August. I hope flyball and canicross and lots of activity and games will keep him young and sprightly until he is well into his teens as well.

And you must be very busy with both flyball and agility. I can hardly keep up with just Flyball (and the occasional canicross event).

8. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

See you at Biggleswade then, I will be the one with the blue and pink Border Collies. lol

9. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

Ready for tomorrow? Max has been solar charging his batteries all day.

Attached Files:

10. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

Woohoo! My boy did brilliant I'm such a proud mom!

Wasn't sure if I spotted you @Oenoke - there were a lot of awesome collies!

Attached Files:

11. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Well done, I was competing with Star in Div 2 of multibreed and Tayen was in Div 2 of starters, she's not really ready, she was only supposed to be doing runbacks.

12. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

This was Star competing last year, she's a lilac Border Collie, I didn't see another one there this weekend, I know High Flyers have 1 and I have seen another at another show, but not this weekend.
    [​IMG]

13. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

Wow, she's gorgeous! I've never seen a lilac BC! If I ever spot her in competition I'll know it's you and come say hi.

I think a lot of the teams struggled (we did!) because this was actually an intermediate competition - with the netting set out like wings instead of along the track (gives the dogs the option of running around instead of running back over the jumps :D ).

Difficulty level +100 I call it.

Our open team is competing on the 7th at Hedsor but I won't be there. Perhaps we'll see you at Earls Barton.

14. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

Another rosette for my boy. #proudmommy #braggingrights

Attached Files:

15. sueh83

sueh83 PetForums Junior

My youngster is just starting her flyball career. Not the fastest but generally consistent. First outdoor open tomorrow. She has done a couple of intermediates an indoor open runs so far this year.

16. Caribou

Caribou PetForums Member

She looks great! One day we'll get to the level where we train without the helpful netting to keep him on track.

Too late to wish you good luck! How did it go at your first out door open competition?

17. sueh83

sueh83 PetForums Junior

Found with both my gundogs, whatever the discipline, training takes a while and then the penny drops.

I ended up pulling our team out and ran NFC. One dog went lame so put my old girl in but she struggled after a couple of races. The 2 newest dogs to competition decided to turn wide. Rather than continue felt was best to take a step back and train the box turns in the trial environment.
    Pleased with my girl, she was 100% foot perfect on the first two races run as competition. She started to get a feel for the environment and even had a couple of 'yips'. ? whether having my older dog helped with confidence, they didn't mind running into each other. My older dog was run by a handler who is currently bringing her own dog on, but not yet ready for open, so it was good for her to experience a different dog. What started off as a bad day, turned into something positive.
    Video of 3 remaining team dogs running nfc