Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

*flutd..................

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Acacia86, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi everyone!
    I have been reading up on FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) beacause my 4 cats are fed exclusively on dry food.
    They can develop this disease due to not getting enough water in their diets. Although cats fed on a wet diet or wet/dry are not exempt form this awful disease, those on dry diets are in much more risk.

It is basically (i won't bore you all who already know lol!) crystals and stones (abnormal) that develop in the cats urinary tract, and stopping them from wee-ing properly. It is a very painful condition. And extremely stressful for both your cat and you. Some cases the stones/crystals can be disolved but on a lot of occasions the cat needs surgery. And there in no garantee that they won't develop again.

Don't panic (as i did!) if you feed dry keep your cat on dry food but encourage more drinking. I know it sounds hard but it can be quite simple. For one if your cat likes to drink from the dripping tap.........get a water fountain (which is a really good investment anyway), always make sure water is fresh (i tend to change mine a few times a day) put water bowls in different locations around the house, our felines are notorious for not drinking enough water!

Or the one that has worked the best for me............i put Tuna/salmon etc juices in their water!!! Not a lot just a bit and my cats are drinking so much more! So i have put my mind at rest!

#1 Acacia86, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Is the juice in tuna etc not usually brine? If so the salt even if very dilute is going to do the reverse of hydrating the cat and actually cause the kidneys to work harder. I have seen tuna in spring water though maybe that would be ok?

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

There is brine. But also sunflower oil and spring water etc. Or boil fresh fish in a small amount of water and use this water to give the cat. I do both.

Even with the brine, i am not saying put lots in just literally a couple of drops depending on the size of the bowl. Cats sense of smell is fairly higher than ours so they can detect it and will drink more. I personally use Spring water or even sunflower oil as it is more for my little ones salads, than me, and she prefers them!!
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice