Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

flooring

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by little_miss_kitty, Jul 21, 2009.

1. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

Morning everyone,

At the moment my bunnies live in this hutch and run but its too small really and starting to fall apart so in the next few weeks we will be building them a space in the garage covering the width (about 9ft x 4 ft) and attaching a run at the end (about 9ft x 5ft) with cat flaps so they can go in and out as they please.

At the moment their run has a wood bottom as they have a habbit of digging out but i'd prefer that it was open so they had access to the grass...would it be okay to have chicken wire on the bottom or would this be bad for their feet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Honestly? It is a right pain to clean because their poo gets trodden in and stuck to the wire.

I tried this approach as my two are terrible for digging their way out. I have thought about getting a good quailty galvanised wire and burying it underneath a layer of soil with turf on top. That way they have access to the grass, but are still unable to dig out.

I haven't tried this yet, so I couldn't tell you if it works.

3. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

I wouldnt put chicken wire on the floor as they could get their paws caught in it, i dont think its worth the risk! x

Maybe other peolple could let you know what they use?

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

chicken wire sounds like a right pain
    you could buy the thicker stuff that comes in sheets about A2 paper size with wire as thick as dog crate wire.
    have part of the run floor covered with wood/carpet etc and then a few of these so they have some grass. then you could just cut the cable ties or what ever u'd use to hold them in place and give them a good hosing down.

5. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

when i buy my own house, rather then renting I am going to put slabs down under the grass, about a foot down, so they can dig if they really want to they just cant get far then put some house bricks round the edges, put all the grass back and stick the run on that, its a lot of hard work but will stop escaping buns, which i now know is one of the worst things ever and also stops foxes from being able to dig under. when the grass goes crap ill just have to buy some more, not a cheap option either but im a bit panicy at the moment. lol

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  6. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Ooo! I didn't think of slabs! What a brilliant idea. I shall now sahmlessly nick it for my own use :D

7. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

thats fine, i nicked the idea from some one who did it for their chickens.:p

8. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

Thats an excellent idea!! I might have to steel that aswell :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice